Shaving soap recommendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
I need shaving soap recommendations. I've been using shave creams exclusively for the last 20 years and would now like to try some of the good stuff there is out there. The key words are GOOD STUFF. Nothing too hard to lather for a beginner soap shaver. Thanks.

I only use proraso. I use the white container. I believe that has green tea and oats in it. It works well for me I have also used the green container which also worked well but I prefer the white.

I prefer Proraso cream in a tube, actually.  I no longer use soaps.  Seems easier and less involved, with equal results.  (I assume by "shave cream" you mean the stuff in an aerosol can.  If not, never mind.   :roll: )

This subject has been covered earlier this year but I'll say again, as I did then ( and p****d off some folks :twisted: ) that I would recommend a readily available soap found in most drugstores here in the US. Nothing fancy, no exotic fragrances or ingredients, just a good reliably lathering shave soap I've used for 50+ years ! William's Shave soap. The other part of the equation is the brush you use. Buy as good a quality BADGER bristle brush and NOT one of the cheaper plain bristle brushes which are much cheaper. It will create a lather MUCH better no matter what soap you use. JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

Richard Burley":xca2nme3 said:
I assume by "shave cream" you mean the stuff in an aerosol can.  If not, never mind.   :roll:
:lol!: No, I mean proper shave creams, not canned foam. And yes, I've used Proraso (C.O. Bigelow, actually) and is a good hsave cream, but not my favorite. I'm sure to look at the Proraso soaps.

I'll look for the Williams, Monbla. I only have two shaving brushes, but they're both Badger, therefore I should be good to go. And I guess I have to dig out the older thread... :oops:

Wet Dottle":dvhd3jve said:
Richard Burley":dvhd3jve said:
I assume by "shave cream" you mean the stuff in an aerosol can.  If not, never mind.   :roll:
:lol!: No, I mean proper shave creams, not canned foam. And yes, I've used Proraso (C.O. Bigelow, actually) and is a good hsave cream, but not my favorite. I'm sure to look at the Proraso soaps.

I'll look for the Williams, Monbla. I only have two shaving brushes, but they're both Badger, therefore I should be good to go. And I guess I have to dig out the older thread... :oops:
One thing that helps immensely is using a HOT wet towel to wrap on the face, Back when one could get a shave at a barbershop, the barber would pull a hot moist towel from a steamer and wrap your face PRIOR to lathering your beard and you can do a similar thing. I have a small washcloth/towel that I take and get wet with the hot water I use, ring out well and then wrap my face with it for a few minutes BEFORE I lather up. It softens the beard hairs and helps the lathering process as well. Remember the real secret is HOT WATER !!! :twisted: :twisted:

I have three soap recommendations for you. 1. Mitchell's Wool Fat, makes your face feel great, easy to make a nice thick lather. 2. Cella Shave Cream, luxurious, also easy to lather. 3. Napa Soap Company - Honey Jar, my favorite, easy to lather, smells great, feels great.

I would also recommend an Omega Professional Boar brush, they can be had for $9 online. They are a fantastic bargain. I have some nice badger brushes as well, but my Omega boar is the one I reach for the most.

Also as a bonus, I would HIGHLY recommend a Captain's Choice Lather Bowl. You just work up lather on your brush and then start mixing it good in the bowl with touches of hot water until you work up the nicest lather you ever put on your face. The bowls are available online for around $15.

I don't work for any of these companies, just my favorite shave gear.

Oh yeah, and if you are using a DE razor, try Polsilver or Astra blades, both are exceptional.

And yeah, Williams will work, I used to use it for a few years... but then I grew up. ;) :p

I like Gold Dachs..   Tobac is pretty good.  Simple brought up the Fat so no reason to bring it up other than to +1 it.   A cheap but very good for me (it's a love it or hate it proposition in the shave world ) option is Arko, smells like Pez.  

Monbla's Williams is horrible stuff for me the several occasions I tried it... But for a buck a puck at Walmart or Walgreens/cvs/etc it's worth a try. It may work for you.

Since the notifications are effed... Look up Dottle, you have a PM.

get yourself a puck of AOS.. yeah, it cost more then most but it will last you a year.

Art of shaving.   The guys in the mall sell it. 

There are far cheaper and far more expensive but the "will last a year" argument is invalid ,Most shave pucks will last a year or better.

puros_bran":jc7paqrw said:
Art of shaving.   The guys in the mall sell it. 

There are far cheaper and far more expensive but the "will last a year" argument is invalid ,Most shave pucks will last a year or better.
Correctamundo... :lol:

oh my, opinions are like a-holes.. everyone has one

OP said "The key words are GOOD STUFF"

Proraso, Williams are OK but aren't in the 'good stuff' column

MWF is very good but good stuff? maybe if you have dry skin if not you will need to use witch hazel to get rid of the extra conditioning.

Cella is a love or hate it depending if you can stand the smell.

AOS, Acca Kappa 1869, Czech & Speake, GFT, Ogallala Bay Rum, Gold Dachs are imo good stuff.

Mama Bear also make some very good product at a more then fair price.

Are you upset Bullwinkle??    Perhaps some aftershave with eucalyptus will calm you with aromatherapy.

BTW: I use GFT limes shave cream and limes skin food... I assume their soaps are just as high quality..  But I've been on this puck of Gold Dachs for two years and refuse to buy anymore soap til I use it up.  Lol

Rein it in Bullwinkle, no one is against your recommendations. I like Mama Bear, but they, like the Napa Soap that I recommended are more than likely melt and pour soaps. So I wouldn't exactly rate them as "high end"... good nonetheless. I like Mama Bear's Good Morning Honey. I just love honey scented soaps.

MWF and Cella speak for themselves. Just do a google search and I think you will have a hard time finding much negative about them. I don't know, I haven't checked... but they are good soaps.

No one said anything bad about AOS. I have used some of their products and they have all been good. And Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Food is the bomb. Ogallala I haven't tried yet, but have always wanted to... after all, it was used by cowboys in the old west. :lol: