Sheep’s Head in Iceland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
OK…better sit down for this one. I was watching a vid on YouTube about the big volcano going off (really epic lava footage) and it kind of merged into a travel thing. It focused on a streetside fast food type place with two big signs up high for all to see. “Hot Dogs with mustard & fries” said one. The other read, “Sheep Heads with remoulade and onion rings”. OMG! So I looked up another travel vid about Iceland and it showed the proper prep and consumption of Sheep Heads. Ummmm. Yike!

72C4780E-9B77-4002-BEBC-C0A86D6D9100.jpeg

I know…right? Culture shock. All the grocery stores carry ‘em in the meat case in the foam tray with clear shrink wrap. The guy filming tried to find one to show but they were all sold out. Hot item I guess.

I wonder what tea goes well with sheep's head. I think for me it would have to be about 100 proof.

LOL. Um…I never heard you say that. Totally innocent here. I was actually in Colombia at the time on a tea buying trip. Whole plane full of witnesses (all BOB members BTW).

What a shock. My first wife (girlfriend 1970-1972) (wife 1972-1976) was stunningly beautiful as a young woman. Now, at age 72, I thought that was her, on the plate.
Seriously, and I know this makes me sound like a male chauvinist pig, but in my 76 years of life, I have known many women. Some in their early years were incredibly beautiful, but in older age look ridden hard and put away wet, while many who were described as "average looking" aged with grace and grew more attractive with every year. And, of course, there have been those who just aged and look pretty much the same at 70 as they did at fifty, with a few more wrinkles and a small concession to gravity.
My late wife barely aged until cancer struck. Photographs of her at age 50 are not discernable from those when she was 30. I brought my wife and daughters with me to a winter conference in Tampa. My wife was 46, the daughters 16 and 8. While I was in a conference meeting, my wife took my daughters to lunch at a restaurant that served liquor. My wife was carded at the door to show she was 21. She said that at first she thought the doorman was playing with her and said to him, "I have my 16-year-old daughter with me. You think I may have given birth to her in pre-school?" The guy responded, "You look like sisters."

I remember when my wife and I were dating. I was 34 y.o. She was 25. We were at a grocery and I was buying a bottle of champagne. The clerk required an i.d. check. My wife just kept staring at me. I asked her what was going on. She said she had no idea I was “so old”. She thought I was a few years her junior. The same kind of thing happened occasionally until I was into my early 60’s. Always mistaken for being 10 - 15 younger. Of course, close to 75 I now look like I’m 103. Or so.

From about age 18, to about 50, I looked older than my chronological age. At about 50, because I was a daily gym rat and kept my weight down and stayed quite muscular, folks thought I looked younger. That has somewhat continued. I have consciously tried to maintain the manner and style of walking, I had as a young man. While I'd like to lose a few pounds, I'm still fairly solid and am conscious of my posture. The give-a-way to my age, of course, is the number of times I walk around the grocery store parking lot, looking for my car.

Know what you mean. I sometimes look at facebook photos of women I dated when the were in their 40s and it's quite a revelation to see how differently they have aged. My ex who is 73, like me, is still very attractive. Another who is now 68 is cute as a bug and could easily pass for 40, not a wrinkle anywhere. Others not so much. I often have people tell me I look like the grandfather on the series Heartland. Not sure if that is a compliment, lol.

Shaun Johnson of Heartland on the left, me on the right. I don't see the resemblance. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-09-09-45-24.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-09-09-45-24.png
    822.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_2021-07-09-09-46-19.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-09-09-46-19.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
You could easily pass for a slightly older version of Shaun Johnson, Ranger.

Cheers,

RR
That pic was 2 years old. This is how I look now. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-09-09-45-24.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-09-09-45-24.png
    822.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_2021-07-09-10-06-54.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-09-10-06-54.png
    635.3 KB · Views: 57