Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club's "VR Blend"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Russ O has done it again. This stuff is just fandamntastic. Very like Stonehaven or StormFront in terms of flavor...that kind of molassas/raisin/treacle thing. Surprisingly it's supposed to be composed of 2 VA's and a Cavendish. It seems to me to have pretty fair strength as on occasion it has made it's cunning presence known in that regard. Comes as one of Oulette's hard pressed cakes & both cuts and crushes well. For me, it has smoked almost equally well in small and large bowls, briars and cobs, tall narrow or short squatty bowls...whatever. Just one of those that works in everything. Chunks in the bottom of the bowl, then medium and finally the fines on top. Goes off like a house afire and burns moderately and well with ease. Keep a light tamp on it for the 1st half (during which the flavors are much like the pouch aroma) then it settles into it's groove in the second half and the flavors get deeper and darker, the burn slows and life takes on a rose-tinted goodness achieved only by the finest of pipe blends or the word "Yes." spoken by a beautiful woman. On different occasions in different venues I've named both Stonehaven and StormFront as my favorite blends. I'm not sure it it's alternating days or what. But I'll now be adding VR into that group. At the moment I've got maybe over a hundred blends hanging around here. Some I'll never smoke again, some will be annual trials, some are weekly and "the gang of three" could well be a daily event or even a double, depending on the events or the weather, etc. But the smoking charcteristics, ease of use, availability and absolutely superior flavor of VR will certainly always place it in the 'daily if not more often' slot. In that regard, it sits alone. I guess that makes it my number one! Thanks Russ...it's like you blended it just for me!

I liked this blend too. It doesn't seem to be very well known yet even though it's been around for a while. Play around with smoking it dry/moist because it really changes how this blend responds.

Blackhorse":ikinh2v4 said:
Russ O has done it again. This stuff is just fandamntastic. Very like Stonehaven or StormFront in terms of flavor...that kind of molassas/raisin/treacle thing. Surprisingly it's supposed to be composed of 2 VA's and a Cavendish. It seems to me to have pretty fair strength as on occasion it has made it's cunning presence known in that regard. Comes as one of Oulette's hard pressed cakes & both cuts and crushes well. For me, it has smoked almost equally well in small and large bowls, briars and cobs, tall narrow or short squatty bowls...whatever. Just one of those that works in everything. Chunks in the bottom of the bowl, then medium and finally the fines on top. Goes off like a house afire and burns moderately and well with ease. Keep a light tamp on it for the 1st half (during which the flavors are much like the pouch aroma) then it settles into it's groove in the second half and the flavors get deeper and darker, the burn slows and life takes on a rose-tinted goodness achieved only by the finest of pipe blends or the word "Yes." spoken by a beautiful woman. On different occasions in different venues I've named both Stonehaven and StormFront as my favorite blends. I'm not sure it it's alternating days or what. But I'll now be adding VR into that group. At the moment I've got maybe over a hundred blends hanging around here. Some I'll never smoke again, some will be annual trials, some are weekly and "the gang of three" could well be a daily event or even a double, depending on the events or the weather, etc. But the smoking charcteristics, ease of use, availability and absolutely superior flavor of VR will certainly always place it in the 'daily if not more often' slot. In that regard, it sits alone. I guess that makes it my number one! Thanks Russ...it's like you blended it just for me!
LOL, I posted at least a thread or two, and definitely multiple posts over the years touting how good this blend is. No one ever seemed to respond or acknowledge my recommendations and oddly enough, after taking a break from this site for awhile, I come back and see that several folks have since tried this blend and found out what they have been missing. Oh, and folks don't disregard my advice this time on VR.....age it for 2 years and you will notice a huge difference. With many VaPers, I find that 5-10 years of aging creates the most noticeable difference, but with VR Blend, merely jarring it up for 2 years will knock your socks off. Long live VR Blend....I may have to go order another pound now that ya got me talking about it again! :cheers:

-Scott

Hmmm. My Stonehaven experience was so-so, but I'm a fan of Storm Front by a lot. So, I'm at a 75% interested level? :lol:

Adding to list. 8) Thanks!

I had chance to sample a bit a few years back when it first came out, and although I liked it, it tasted a bit raw to me. But it seemed to have real potential to age into something better. There are now four 8 ounce tins hiding out in my larder with a couple years on them, I plan to open the first of them at about 5 years. We'll see if it was a good investment for me then.

Natch

This sounds pretty excellent. I'll keep this on the radar, but the money spewing volcano which was my latest PAD/TAD attack has calmed once again. So now VR Blend goes on the list to be acquired during the next eruption. :)

Rec'd a sample of this a while ago from...someone (can't remember who at the moment, so hopefully I thanked them already :lol: ).

I don't recall how much age was on it at the time, but it was fantastic. A va/per standout, and a personal favorite. I also agree it is similar to SH in some respects, and I found it incredibly smooth & sweet.

I've seen the occasional thread pop up from time to time about it, I can only assume the lack of discussion and fanfare is an attempt to keep the secret just a little longer. ;)

I purchased a 4oz. bag of VR and I blinked and it was gone. That's how good this stuff is.