Shiner Bock

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
Does anyone else drink this? It's brewed in Shiner, TX which is about 8 hours away from here (but still in Texas - yes it's that big, and yes that's what she said).

It's probably my favorite, or at least one of my favorite beers. When I first started drinking it back in 1996 it was kinda hard to find. It was sort of a microbrew back then. Now it seems everywhere you go they have Shiner on tap. So I'm just curious if other parts of the nation have Shiner or if it's still kind of a Texas thing.

It's a brown beer, nice and creamy with loads of flavor. Back then when they were small production it was a little more creamy than it is now, but it's still good.

Gonna make a road trip one of these days to the Spoetzel Brewery and check it out. Their site is www.shiner.com if you're not familiar with it. I highly recommend picking it up if you see it somewhere and haven't tried it.

You can get Shiner Bock here in NC; I really like it. It's on tap at several sports bars in Raleigh

It's here in Ok as well. I don't drink it now but it was the first beer I ever had.

I've never seen it up here in the NW but they are pretty territorial with their beers up here. I think we have as many micro breweries as we do coffee roasters.

Wow I had no clue that they had expanded that much. I'm currently out... perhaps a quick trip to the store is in order for the football/wings/beer!

It's available in AL,SC and GA too. My sister-in-law drinks it regularly and I've tried it too. Over the summer I went thru several six packs of their wheat beer which was mighty good too.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":h82f2xyr said:
It's available in AL,SC and GA too. My sister-in-law drinks it regularly and I've tried it too. Over the summer I went thru several six packs of their wheat beer which was mighty good too.

Jim
You know, I've tried their Holiday Cheer (yearly Christmas beer), Shiner Black (stout), 99 (an anniversary beer), and the list goes on and on... but never picked up any of the wheat. Will have to do that next time around.

I picked up a six pack last summer,can't say it was one of my favorites...sorry.

tranders":zds00hwd said:
I picked up a six pack last summer,can't say it was one of my favorites...sorry.
Yeah it's definitely not for everyone. My friends that favor the pale ales can't stand it.

I hit Shiner every now and then. I do see it it many places as I travel around the country. I've drunk a lot worse!!!!! FTRPLT

JJPHOTO":hllpc6tm said:
tranders":hllpc6tm said:
Yeah it's definitely not for everyone. My friends that favor the pale ales can't stand it.
Aahhh, that's probably why I don't order it often. I'm a PA & IPA kinda guy. Remember those old Keystone Beer adds deriding "bitter beer face"? Well, if it ain't bitter, it ain't beer! Can't have too many hops for me.

But I still enjoy the occasional bock, porter, and stout, especially in the colder months. :drunken:

Natch

Natch":g3uslt6g said:
Well, if it ain't bitter, it ain't beer! Can't have too many hops for me.
Tried the Budweiser American Ale they recently came out with? I enjoy it from time to time - very hoppy. Everyone around here makes that bitter beer face when I mention it.

JJPHOTO":f07lorey said:
Natch":f07lorey said:
Well, if it ain't bitter, it ain't beer! Can't have too many hops for me.
Tried the Budweiser American Ale they recently came out with? I enjoy it from time to time - very hoppy. Everyone around here makes that bitter beer face when I mention it.
I quite enjoy the Bud American Ale.

I've never tried Shiner Bock. I"ve seen it in the stores...I guess I need to pick some up and give a try.

Lately I've been really getting into IPA. I agree with the comments about the bitterness factor...(hoppiness leads to happiness :cheers: ). I've seen the Bud ale...and I have to admit I've passed it up, thinking that it can't be as good as, say. Dogfish Head...after all, it's a Bud!

But I realize that kind of thinking is wrongheaded, and I'm going to give the Bud a try.

Mike

gospelman":lt08ivuj said:
I've never tried Shiner Bock. I"ve seen it in the stores...I guess I need to pick some up and give a try.

Lately I've been really getting into IPA. I agree with the comments about the bitterness factor...(hoppiness leads to happiness :cheers: ). I've seen the Bud ale...and I have to admit I've passed it up, thinking that it can't be as good as, say. Dogfish Head...after all, it's a Bud!

But I realize that kind of thinking is wrongheaded, and I'm going to give the Bud a try.

Mike
mmmmmmmmmmmm IPA's. gooooooooood stuff. Have you ever had Troegs Nugget Nectar. Technically an Imperial Amber, but at 93ish IBU's its quite amazing.

free_byrd15":9t61ae1u said:
gospelman":9t61ae1u said:

Mike
mmmmmmmmmmmm IPA's. gooooooooood stuff. Have you ever had Troegs Nugget Nectar. Technically an Imperial Amber, but at 93ish IBU's its quite amazing.
No, I haven't tried it. But from what I saw on their website about it, the hops factor is quite high...probably turn my face inside out!

I'll have to search it out.

Mike

Never even heard of IPA until this thread... will have to do some research on this.

Well whaddya know... went to the beer store and there was some Widmer Broken Halo which was labeled as an IPA. Conducting my research as I type. It's... ok. I tend to drink the creamy and malty stout beers, but this is decent for a change of pace. Kinda feels like it's eating a hole in my stomach though. :suspect:

I actually enjoy a good cold Shiner Bock. Especially if it is on tap, which gives it a better flavor. A good bartender would give the the beer anywhere from 1 to 2 inches of pouring room to allow the yeast to properly mix within the beer, allowing for the full flavor of the beer to be drank throughout the entire beer. I say a minimum of 3 frosty pilsner glasses, 27 oz., for the beginning of a great night! A six pack is worth its weight in gold after a hot summer's day of digging trenches and knocking down trees. So, to you I say yes, drink it good and cold, and to those of you whom haven't tried it yet...take this from a man who usually distrusts Domestic beers, buy it, you'll enjoy every drop.