Short term tobacco storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
I have looked around the site quite a but other than ageing storage I do not see much in the way of folks short term storage methods. I have used bail toped jars and also 3mm baggies for the blends that I am currently rotating through but I was wondering what other folk use. This seems to be something that is just taken for granted but as a person relatively new to pipe smoking I have yet to find something that really works to my satisfaction.

Depending on how much of a bulk tobacco I smoke, I'll transfer it to a used 50gr or 100 gr tin and label/re-label the top with a Sharpie. And I do have a few leather pouches too.

I believe it was Carlos that once suggested slightly bending in the sides of a metal tin top to get a better seal. It works for me.

Jim

Hi OB,

Welcome aboard. To answerer your question, when I open a new 50 gram tin I immediately place the tobacco into a Ball half-pint wide mouth mason jar. The jars have a screw lid with a rubber seal and work amazingly well for short term storage. Here's a link to the jars on Amazon. Ball Jar

ball2.jpg

I really like the jar approach. I think there are some jars like that at my parent’s house that my mom used to use for canning so that looks like a good route. I by most of my toback in the 2-4 ounce range so a small set of jars would fit the need.

Oddball":mv764x9o said:
I really like the jar approach. I think there are some jars like that at my parent’s house that my mom used to use for canning so that looks like a good route. I by most of my toback in the 2-4 ounce range so a small set of jars would fit the need.
Give em' a try, as long as the the tobacco is transfered quickly and not allowed to breath for to long and the lid is kept tightly sealed between pipe fulls you'll find your tobacco will last a good long time...

Good luck, Dan

I do a lot of open tins and just to have them handy, I will put the whole tin, actually three or so, in one of those hard ziplock containers. With the blue lids. But those smaller jars are nice. I just don't have enough yet.

I am trying to smoke up some of this open stuff around here to ease that problem.

I'm also using the rubber-lid jar method for short and long term storage. Short term for an open tin, long term for bulk blends.

The beauty of the rubber-lid jar is that you don't have to finish the open tin until you feel like it. I suppose the only down side is that it promotes procrastination. It encourages the temptation to open yet another tin. You might find yourself with lots of little half filled jars with labels on them. :pipe:

:mrgreen:

I also use the mason jar for opened tins. As for the procrastination tin man suggested I don't open another tin until I finish one. Of course you could always just go buy more jars when you want to sample something new. I like the smaller jars as they seem to hold a 2 oz (50g) tin without too much wasted space.

Still quite a few months away but a good time to pick up new jars is a month or so after local 'harvest' time. By then all the canning grannys have bought up all they will and the stores put em on sale to clear shelf space. Wal-mart drops em all the way down to 4 bucks (in two dollar increments) but I snag em around the 6-8 mark to insure I get what I want.

It sounds like the ball jar method is the fav.

as for the procrastination I can't say that I have much of a problem with finishing my current tobak as I have yet to accumulate a more than basic selection. I have only bought tinned leaf once and with the current increase of import tin price and my "just graduated and looking for a job" situation I stick to 2-4 oz baggies my local tobacconist.
Thanx for all the imput guys this has to be one of the most helpful communites I have ever been a member of.

For bulk blends, I use the same screw lid, shallow jars pictured in Midnight Blues' post. They work well and can be easily washed in the dishwasher to prevent blend cross contamination. When the lids get worn, you can purchase new ones cheaply.

The tinned blends stay in their original tins. But I use a thick rubberband around the lid, to improve the seal. These are thick rubberbands that you can find easily in any office supply store. I got this idea from ASP a few years ago and it significantly prolonged the longevity of the tobacco, specially in the tins with plastic lids a la C&D and in the rectangular tins. I think Art Ruppelt, from Ming tampers, posted this idea.