Shortages, shortages, and more shortages!!!

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

DWSmith

Reaction score
Baby formula. Cans for cat food. Tampons?!?!?!

I've been checking almost daily for months for rifle ammunition primers to no avail. They tell me the ammunition manufacturers are behind and are using them all up.

What shortages have you heard about recently?

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
Primers are available every day.

But, you have to watch out for scammer websites. So deal with reputable companies only! And, like everything else today, they are expensive. I just checked my stock, I have a total of 40,033 on-hand of all types. So I will wait for prices to come down more.

DWSmith

Reaction score
Primers are available every day.

But, you have to watch out for scammer websites. So deal with reputable companies only! And, like everything else today, they are expensive. I just checked my stock, I have a total of 40,033 on-hand of all types. So I will wait for prices to come down more.
Nope, not true. Just called MidwayUSA and Scheels ... again. Still no CCI 200 primers and very little of anything else. MidwayUSA had very few primers for several months. Scheels typically has NO primers in stock for weeks at a time and they have none of any kind now ... still. Like I said above I call almost daily.

The manager at Scheels said it will be quite some time before Winchester WLR primers are available again because Winchester is using them to manufacture their own brand of ammunition.

The hazmat fee on shipping primers adds about 20%+ to their cost so I'm trying to buy locally, i.e., Scheels.

Last edited:

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
You may have to order. And you may have to get something other than CCI or Winchester. I can get Unis Ginex primers in Small and Large Rifle at Redeye Reloading. Earlier today they also had Small Pistol. Brownells has Cheddite 209 for shotshells. And that's right now. I get ads every day and many do have primers of various makes. I only get ads from businesses I have done business with.

The more you buy, the cheaper they are. Sometimes that means purchasing powder in 33lb lots.

ftrplt

Reaction score
Bullets I got; getting catfood for five indoor and four/five outdoor felines is a weekly adventure!!!! My better half spoils the hell out of them with wet food; now they won't hardly touch dry food!!! Plus the prices have increased quite a bit. I do buy cans of tuna fish for them; the cans have gone from $.68 to $1.08 in a six-week period!!! Ouch!!
Other items seem to be touch and go based on what week it is!! Transportation costs are driving (no pun intended!) many of the price increases. The price for diesel is eating independent truckers profits up!!
We are contributing to several charities that help those in need. Food is one thing; finding baby formula is another!!! FTRPLT

Ranger107

Reaction score
We have been buying Pedigree wet dog food for our fur babies for years. For a while last year we couldn't find the blend (chicken and rice) that they liked. More relevent is that 2 years ago, pre Biden, it was 68 cents a can at Walmart and had been since we moved here 6 years ago. Now it is $1.39, a 100% increase. A small item but indicative of grocery prices in general. Said on the news yesterday rhat inflation was at 8.something %. Don't know how they get that. Everything we buy has gone up over 30%. Gas here more than double, hay for our boys up to $26 a bale from $18 six months ago. Lord help us.

ftrplt

Reaction score
Have read a few articles pointing out that many companies are "down sizing" their product/s by weight but leaving the packaging the same size! Example, your favorite dry cereal was 15 oz; now only 12oz. but box is same size!! And of course, no proir warning or notification to the consumer. This has been going on for years; but accelerating now!! FTRPLT
We pipe smokers have experienced this for years!! The ol' two-ounce tin becomes 50 grams/1.76 ounces; price remains the same!! LOL

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
peanut butter. an inexpensive, protein-packed food.* I've noticed my brand has been either sold out or few on the shelves (or I can't get chunky, like I prefer). It's gone up a buck, too. I read 8% inflation, but not much I'm seeing is only being raised 8%. Just like the oil industry, I feel most companies are taking advantage of the opportunity, and us. America this. America that. Really, just cut-throat capitalism because a new reason is available.

It's how they feed starving children around the world. Plumpy’Nut is packed with calories and vitamins to restore the health of children under 5. The special thing about it is that unlike milk or formula, it doesn't need to be mixed with clean water or refrigerated, which makes it much easier to deliver to children in places where such luxuries don't exist.

Brewdude

Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
And just today on the local news, there is a shortage of the dye contrast used in CT scans. According to the news vid, this is made by one manufacturer in China, and they have been shut down due to recent pandemic surges. As a result, many patients that need screening for cancer and the like are being delayed and the current supply rationed. I myself am scheduled for a CT scan w/dye contrast next week and right now have no idea if that will take place!

No Cheers,

RR

DWSmith

Reaction score
Yeah, I mix some Pedigree canned dog food with the dry Hill's Science Diet we feed our dogs. I mix some canned Friskies with the IAMS dry cat food. Then there are the prices of the flea, tick, and heartworm medications!?!?!? I think the majority of this "inflation" is just plain, old price gouging.

I've said it before but this country is based on greed. Capitalism requires support from the government to survive. Politicians go into office dirt poor and come out multi-millionaires. It's a racket.

Swede

Reaction score
A month back, there was a shortage of certain kinds of oil like 15W-40. I stocked up a year or so ago during sales, so have our vehicles covered. That HD diesel oil is pretty important around here for farmers, so hope that is alleviated. When I go in our TSC store, I don't see near the oils as in the past. Swede

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
Noticed the other day at the market a lot of coffee that used to be 1 lb cans are now 14 oz, same or higher price.

Oh yeah…if you’ve ever bought Graham Crackers…the outside box is pretty much the same size as always but the 4 inside wax paper style packs are about a third smaller than they used to be. If they used to contain 12 crackers, they now contain 9…or whatever. And the smaller packs rattle around in there like dice in a cup. They’re OBVIOUSLY using a “we’re gonna fool you” approach to giving less product for the same or more money. And I think they shrunk the actual crackers as well. It’s insulting.

98231EA4-DBB8-42A0-BF91-DB9E6DF2337F.jpeg

ftrplt

Reaction score
The WSJ article yesterday concerning the tampon crisis was eye-catching!!! Crazy how many items are in short supply!! Hard to believe/understand how all this crap is happening in 2022!!!!!!! FTRPLT