Shortages, shortages, and more shortages!!!

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

DWSmith

Reaction score
Saturday I found a .22 handgun to my liking. Finally! They have been in short supply around here for quite some time unless you're willing to buy a Ruger Wrangler revolver which I'm not.

There was a much larger variety/supply of other calibers and actions in stock at that store too.

After years maybe that shortage will soon no longer be an issue.

DWSmith

Reaction score
There must be a potato chip shortage!!! $5.59 for an 8 ounce bag is over $11 a pound ... for potato chips. How much per pound does a good cut of beef steak cost?

Ranger107

Reaction score
Saturday I found a .22 handgun to my liking. Finally! They have been in short supply around here for quite some time unless you're willing to buy a Ruger Wrangler revolver which I'm not.

There was a much larger variety/supply of other calibers and actions in stock at that store too.

After years maybe that shortage will soon no longer be an issue.
DW, what did you get? Brand, SA, DA, semi auto? Inquiring minds want to know. I love my Ruger MK III but would love to find an older S&W DA, or a High Standard.

Ranger107

Reaction score
There must be a potato chip shortage!!! $5.59 for an 8 ounce bag is over $11 a pound ... for potato chips. How much per pound does a good cut of beef steak cost?
Wow, hard to believe. Around here, most chips are $3 to $4 for a lb bag at Walmart unless you go for the fancy high end stuff.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
The term for shrinking amounts in same packaging is: shrinkflation. They really went out of their way thinking of that one, didn't they?

I think potato chips have created an interesting cult-like phenomenon. I have an acquaintance in Chicago who is a nut for Lays, and they drive all over the city for limited production, limited flavor, and test market chips. It's one of their main hobbies is potato chips. Seems odd to me, but they wouldn't understand pipes either. It reminds me of the microbrewery hobbyists who drive all over the place to try and buy beers, but those people also trade via mail. Or the people who are obsessively loyal to Tide detergent. It makes me wonder why our culture seems to grow loyalists like this. My point is that potato chips seem to be able to get away with exorbitant pricing. It doesn't hurt that they do an enormous amount of R&D on flavors, flavor length, and how to literally get people hooked like drugs on their products. Loyalty + habit = the sky is the limit on pricing.

DWSmith

Reaction score
DW, what did you get? Brand, SA, DA, semi auto? Inquiring minds want to know. I love my Ruger MK III but would love to find an older S&W DA, or a High Standard.
And I love my Ruger MK III Hunter.

I was looking for a revolver. My wife has a Ruger LCR (revolver) in .22lr. Spurless hammer so DA only. It's a bit of a workout when shooting a box of cartridges. I was looking for an LCRx (revolver) in .22lr; SA/DA, spurred hammer, fully adjustable rear sight, 3" barrel, etc. Couldn't locate one. Saw a used Ruger SR22 (semi-automatic) in really nice condition so I bought it. Much smaller and lighter than the Hunter so easier to carry around the property while working on odds and ends. It's SA/DA so I like that. Holds 10+1.

EZONSLOW

Reaction score
Ranger,
I recently picked up a S&w victory .22. It`s a 10 round semi auto. its more accurate than I am and easier to take apart than my ruger Mark 2 that I have had for decades. I have several friends that have purchased this gun and they can`t thank me enough.

Ranger107

Reaction score
Last year I picked up a S&W M&P 22 for the wife. 10 round semi auto. Not a bad little gun. Small, light, and reasonably accurate out to 15 yds. Not a tack driver like my Ruger MK III but will get the job done.

Ranger107

Reaction score
Ranger,
I recently picked up a S&w victory .22. It`s a 10 round semi auto. its more accurate than I am and easier to take apart than my ruger Mark 2 that I have had for decades. I have several friends that have purchased this gun and they can`t thank me enough.
EZ, I bought one of those maybe 3 years ago. Not a bad gun and yes, much easier to field strip than the Ruget, however, it is not as accurate as the Ruger, and mine is picky about ammo. Doesn't like Remington Viper which I had a ton of. Does okay with Federal and CCI, both more expensive of course. Lol.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
I buy most of my Asian prepared sauces here…and my basic rice ( outside my staple Lundberg California rices). They also ship items like FRESH Basil, etc. There are likely many online sources for Asian food products but I strongly recommend this outfit. I’ve never had a less than perfect experience. PS: get on their “mailing list” and wait for the occasional $5 flat rate shipping deal. It’s the way to go when ordering jars of Hoisin Sauce and 25# bags of current crop year Thai Jasmin rice.

DWSmith

Reaction score
Last week I heard that there's a shortage of the peppers used to make Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce!

During my break today I heard that the prices for fireworks are skyrocketing.

DWSmith

Reaction score
When Scheels didn't have the LCRx I wanted I bought the used SR22 on Saturday. I wasn't sure but I thought it sounded overpriced. They wouldn't come down on it either. On used firearms you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. On Tuesday afternoon I found out that I saved about $60 by buying a used, 4-year old SR22. I took it back. For that small of a savings I'd rather pay $60 more and get a new one. Or if the LCRx in 22lr becomes available I'll buy it. Scheels screwed me over on another used gun about 12 years ago so I took it back. I'm shopping elsewhere for a while.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Last week I heard that there's a shortage of the peppers used to make Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce!
This is significant enough to mention it on the national news. Nothing else going on in the world, but at least I know to hoard some hot sauce.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
Council Member
Reaction score
When Scheels didn't have the LCRx I wanted I bought the used SR22 on Saturday. I wasn't sure but I thought it sounded overpriced. They wouldn't come down on it either. On used firearms you have 30 days to return it for a full refund. On Tuesday afternoon I found out that I saved about $60 by buying a used, 4-year old SR22. I took it back. For that small of a savings I'd rather pay $60 more and get a new one. Or if the LCRx in 22lr becomes available I'll buy it. Scheels screwed me over on another used gun about 12 years ago so I took it back. I'm shopping elsewhere for a while.

I would have opted for a Mark IV. My favorite Ruger firearm. And revolver prices are CRAZY! (The last time I was buying a 22LR pistol…could have had pretty much anything…I bought a Walther PPKs.)

DWSmith

Reaction score
I would have opted for a Mark IV. My favorite Ruger firearm. And revolver prices are CRAZY! (The last time I was buying a 22LR pistol…could have had pretty much anything…I bought a Walther PPKs.)
I already have the Ruger Mark III Hunter. Excellent firearm but with a 6 7/8" barrel it's a bit much to pocket carry around my place.

I considered the PPKs and the Beretta 21A Bobcat which is a weird looking little gun with that pop up barrel.

Buying the SR22 was a bit of an impulse purchase. I still think it's a good choice for a pistol and depending upon how long I think it's going to take to get an LCRx I may purchase a new SR22 instead. Especially for a .22 I prefer the reliability of a revolver over a pistol.

Last edited: