Shout-Out to SmokingPipes Customer Service

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Need to relate this surprising experience for everyone here. Hope this is the right place i the forum to post it.

Just when you think customer service is dead, something like this happens.

I ordered a bunch of different blends to try from SmokingPipes.com, and have been working through them and posting my thoughts here and on the SP site. I did not like the last blend I tried; nothing "wrong" with the tobacco, just not in my wheelhouse. No harm, no foul. That's going to happen from time to time. Figured I'd cellar the jar for a while, try it again, and see if my tastes had changed.

Well, yesterday I got an email from SP Customer Service. They had seen my review, and offered to send me a different blend I'd actually like or post a credit to my SP account. Who does this anymore? And for a $6.50 purchase?? Incredible!

I'll definitely be sending more business to SP.com!

I've used Smokingpipes pipes for years and have posted comments about their superb customer service. Glad you had a great experience with them. I usually deal with Mark or Chip. Chip is the pipe smoker, met him last year at a pipe show. Heck of a nice guy :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

They reign supreme. The owner is a hip and savvy manager. Never met him, but I know his type. Everything they do speaks of class. The demise of the local tobacconist downtown is not without its plus side, when you have an entity like this as replacement.

Or...wait...you're sure you weren't speaking of Pipes & Cigars? :joker:

Both Chip from Smokingpipes and Rich from 4Noggins always throws in 2 bundles of pipe cleaners with my orders. Who does that???
McCranies here in NC will send you your order and bill you later if you like. Where would you find that service today?
Very satisfied with the overall experience when I place an order with Uhle's. Recently ordered a pound PAINT can of Peretti's DD and emailed them a simple question twice with NO response. So, after the pound of DD is finished I'll be done with those puppies. 
Before I retired due to illness I placed some type of tobacco order every other week. Now it's like every other month. It stinks being on a budget!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

McCrainie's is great and a great place to stop in and visit. Exotic aromatics, if that's your bag, as I remember. Peretti's may be quirky, but I like their tobacco so much that I'll overlook certain eccentricities. I send them money, they send tobacco. Simple. I don't ask questions because I already know everything. ;)

Richard Burley":83uuo52z said:
Haha - Nope! P&C won't ship to me in Canada, and even if they could, their reputation precedes them. Not sure I'd trust them to get an international order right.....

ontariopiper":tk36yo5f said:
Richard Burley":tk36yo5f said:
Haha - Nope! P&C won't ship to me in Canada, and even if they could, their reputation precedes them. Not sure I'd trust them to get an international order right.....
They can't find their ass in the dark, much less your order. Serious management problems.

Richard Burley":dim9w6h4 said:
 I don't ask questions because I already know everything. 
icon_wink.gif
Okay, then I can ask you. If you spend over $100.00 is it free shipping? Was that not a quick question for a customer service rep. to answer???

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":w640oxew said:
Richard Burley":w640oxew said:
 I don't ask questions because I already know everything. 
icon_wink.gif
Okay, then I can ask you. If you spend over $100.00 is it free shipping? Was that not a quick question for a customer service rep. to answer???
Yeah, typing two (No) or three (Yes) letters doesn't seem like too much to ask, but usually an online cart automatically adjusts or eliminates the shipping charge when you reach the specified amount. At least in my experience, unless I'm hallucinating. Did you try checking out? You have to understand that the clerks at Peretti's have better things to do, and they have a reputation for surliness to uphold. It's Boston tradition.

I LOVE Peretti's! I'm trying to hold off placing an order right now until the Thanksgiving blend comes out. Then I'm going to place my semi-annual order with them.

OP, I agree. I have had great service with SmokingPipes. They probably get 70% of my business.

Richard Burley":3hz2s02j said:
Yeah, typing two (No) or three (Yes) letters doesn't seem like too much to ask, but usually an online cart automatically adjusts or eliminates the shipping charge when you reach the specified amount. At least in my experience, unless I'm hallucinating. Did you try checking out? You have to understand that the clerks at Peretti's have better things to do, and they have a reputation for surliness to uphold. It's Boston tradition.
Well, I was over the $100.00 point and I paid shipping. Not a big deal, and I've heard from others Peretti's has a reputation for surliness. Yup, it's Boston at its BEST. Hey, I'm originally from NY and understand attitude, but I never had an attitude and won't deal with one. The DD was very enjoyable but I'll deal with Uhle's and stick with my Blend 00, which I do enjoy more. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":yziukedw said:
Richard Burley":yziukedw said:
Well, I was over the $100.00 point and I paid shipping. Not a big deal, and I've heard from others Peretti's has a reputation for surliness. Yup, it's Boston at its BEST. Hey, I'm originally from NY and understand attitude, but I never had an attitude and won't deal with one. The DD was very enjoyable but I'll deal with Uhle's and stick with my Blend 00, which I do enjoy more. 
Well, I just placed a fake order of 120 bucks with Peretti, and when you get to the shipping page you have a choice of shipping method. Two-day Priority Mail, which is my preference anyhow, is $0.00. So where are you located, deep in the Rio Pongo basin or something?  :lol:

having pared my smoking preferences down to 4 blends these past 50 years, SP provides all I need retailer wise so I've stuck with them for many years now and will continue as they are tha BEST tobacco/pipe retailer I've encountered. JMHO :twisted:

Richard Burley":nej5gftq said:
Well, I just placed a fake order of 120 bucks with Peretti, and when you get to the shipping page you have a choice of shipping method. Two-day Priority Mail, which is my preference anyhow, is $0.00. So where are you located, deep in the Rio Pongo basin or something?  
icon_lol.gif
Nope, North Carolina. My order total was $114.00 and had my package shipped two day Priority and was charged. A friend just sent me an email telling me that it's free shipping with orders over $100.00. Will I send another email or call....NOT. For me I have way to much going on in my life right now that I'm not going too also stress over a few dollars. I knew it was suppose to be free shipping. 

I just now placed the exact order and was given the choice of free two day Priority Mail. Might have been a website issue???

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

But back to the OP, this is a way great gesture on the part of SP. That they saw your comments and then acted upon it in a positive manner speaks volumes about their character. But there again SP is a class act and always has been.

SP, 4Noggins, and Mars have always been the premier e-tailers IMHO. And there's others no doubt. But these stand out to me. They consistently go the extra mile.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":m3non9tm said:
But back to the OP, this is a way great gesture on the part of SP. That they saw your comments and then acted upon it in a positive manner speaks volumes about their character. But there again SP is a class act and always has been.

SP, 4Noggins, and Mars have always been the premier e-tailers IMHO. And there's others no doubt. But these stand out to me. They consistently go the extra mile.

Cheers,

RR
Too right, Rande. SP just bought a loyal customer AND great word of mouth advertising for $6.50! Very slick! :D

I've enjoyed SP's great customer service and products for a long time. Never anything but first rate service and a friendly voice whenever I phone them. They're always ready and willing to help. :)

AJ

I placed an order with SmokingPipes for four tins of tobacco on Friday, 09/29. They were delivered today, 10/01. Yep, on a Sunday! Now that is FAST!

What is even more surprising, I ordered a pipe and two tins from TobaccoPipes in Florida on the 28th and they were also delivered today! The items were well wrapped and in perfect condition.

I chose TobaccoPipes for my order because the items I wanted were not available on SmokingPipes. But, this was my 2nd order with TobaccoPipes and I am VERY pleased with them.

Glad your items arrived FAST...:cheers:.   In the past I too have placed orders with TobaccoPipes and was always pleased. Also excellent customer service!! My last order from TobaccoPipes included 2 Falcon bowls, I waited for a sale. 
Tobacco & Pipe Retailers I've used in the past and extremely satisfied:

Smokingpipes 
TobaccoPipes
4Noggins
WVsmokeshop
McCranie's
Also a few different B&M's overseas....oh do I miss Glynn's tobacco's from GQ  :( :( 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!