SHOW ME YOUR DUBLINS!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey Y'all. I wanted to see if I could illicit some help from you to get some good ideas. The Greater Kansas City Pipe Club has a carving contest every year, and this year's pipe has to be from the Dublin family, some shapes I'm not as familiar with as I'd like.

I've looked on line of course for Dublin pics to get some thoughts going, but I figured it "might" be fun for you to share some of your favorite Dublin family pipes and help a brother out in the process.

Anyone care to submit a Dublin pic?

PS. According to the contest rules, this can include a: "Zulu, Yachtsman, Cutty and Belge, plus free-form interpretations of those shapes."

PPS. I figure if people actually submit photographs, this will be the right place for this thread, but if I'm wrong about that, I apologize up front.

PPPS. I am by no way affiliated with GKPC. But since I carve pipes, and this is the only pipe carving contest I know of, I figure I might as well give it a try.

Well to me Dublins are hard to classify as they come in all sorts of sizes and variations. There is only one characteristic I can think of that all Dublins have in common, that is a bowl that is wider at the top and narrows toward the transition.

I haven't seen too many pics of awesome Dublins as of late, so I did a little sketch I hope will be helpful.

You will see a traditional English Dublin in both straight and bent configurations, a Heeschen inspired Dublin, and what most folks think of as a typical "Danish" freehand Dublin.

Does that help any?

Jesse, if my pre-carving drawings were as good as yours, I'd probably make better pipes :D . These are good. Thanks for sharing. I'm also looking for any real life examples. Basically I'm thinking this should have been titled, "SHOW ME YOUR DUBLINS!"

In fact, I've just re-titled it as such.

Brian, here is a pic of my little Moretti Dublin, which is a great lightweight clencher.....

Here are some of my Dublins:

065125.jpg

150518.jpg

b_170630.jpg

140746.jpg

Todd

taharris":sxfdy4tk said:
Here are some of my Dublins:

065125.jpg

Todd
You beat me to it! I was going to post a photo of this one Todd but your photography skills are far in advance of my efforts.

Fraternally

Jers

Harlock999":ane1jona said:
In Cantu, they call this a calabash, I call it a Dublin.
Shift your camera a little to the right and show us the rest of the figurine you have that pipe propped on.....I'm curious

Now we're talking! I love Dublins, but unfortunately do not own any. Keep the pics coming!

Nice! Great pics. Harlock has it for my favorite so far. That's a great looking pipe.

scotties22":wjpmizkm said:
Harlock999":wjpmizkm said:
In Cantu, they call this a calabash, I call it a Dublin.
Shift your camera a little to the right and show us the rest of the figurine you have that pipe propped on.....I'm curious
I'm guessing it's a little shamrock type dude, and you're seeing his knee. It looks like he's sitting cross-legged with his arms over his head. Am I right?

None are mine, but they ae gorgeous.

Dunhill Shilling Collector:

Castello Sea Rock:

Castello Old Antiquari:

Castello Great line:

Castello Great Line Fiamata:

And another:

[/quote]

Todd's first picture and PeeD's Castello Sea Rock are my kind of Dublin. I shy away from Dublins usually, because they get too "calabash-y."

I've but one Dublin - Pete Sherlock Holmes Mycroft I got from the long gone (and much lamented) T-Box in Issaquah, WA around '01 where I was a frequent fixture, squatter, mooch, and incessant bore. Yet once in a while I bought something.........

Anyway, while this isn't my specific pipe it is the exact same style, color, and shape. And also one of my best smokers-

pipe-peterson-mycroft-1-z.jpg

Cheers,

RR

That's certainly has some hints of "Zulu" in that one. Nice pipe.

Puff Daddy":vkgrrluu said:
None are mine, but they ae gorgeous.

Dunhill Shilling Collector:

Castello Sea Rock:

Castello Old Antiquari:

Castello Great line:

Castello Great Line Fiamata:

And another:

[/quote]

Some nice Castello's there!

scotties22":ifmdwc01 said:
It's actually a Kreiss Beatnik Psycho Ceramic, circa 1960's.