Show the cheap one you love

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JensDK

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to provoke collectors of refined pipes. On the contrary, I am in awe of some of the artworks created by good craftsmen and all the joy it can offer and have owned a few myself. Got back to that again recently with a beautiful estate from Søren Refbjerg.

…But:

Skipping through the topics of this great forum, they often seem to focus on the unique. So I feel an urge to also speak up for good low-end pipes and to actually value them. There are some truly great smokers out there.

Hope others will contribute, and I’ll start out with probably the best pipe for mixture I’ve ever owned: An old Comoy’s Everyman. It arrived this spring in near new condition and cost me next to nothing. To me, everything is right about this pipe: I like the sanding - it’s not perfect, but nature doesn’t care about our idea of perfection, it just exists, right? Also, the balance is better than most, I barely notice bit and lips when smoking it. And most important: Any mixture unfolds like a flower. My midnight smoke is the best smoke, and I almost always pick the Everyman. I really, really love this pipe!

If you too have a love like mine that makes your heart beat, please, get it out, show it and value it!

You mean other than cobs? Picked this up on ebay, allegedly a Charatan 2nd, allegedly restored by Walker Briarworks prior to purchase. I paid $30 US. Handles everything I put in it, including some blends that don't get along with my other pipes. Not the prettiest pipe I own, but it has become an often used favorite. Hope I don't queer it by smoking it too much.

Richard Burley":h31ifrvc said:
You mean other than cobs? Picked this up on ebay, allegedly a Charatan 2nd, allegedly restored by Walker Briarworks prior to purchase. I paid $30 US. Handles everything I put in it, including some blends that don't get along with my other pipes. Not the prettiest pipe I own, but it has become an often used favorite. Hope I don't queer it by smoking it too much.

Richard, is your pipe a Mountbatten by any chance? Charatan did not make any seconds as Mountbattens were made by apprentice carvers using the same briar as the Charatans and the same standard shapes. I have 6 Mountbattens 4 blasted and two smooth. Their blasted pipes were wonderfully gnarly and I love mine as everyone smokes great ! $30. is not bad !! I just got a smooth 172 Mountbatten Pot for $33. so you beat me !! :twisted:
As far as the best smoking "cheap" pipe I would have to say it's my GBD Virgin 458 strait bulldog w/SB. I still have the box and reciept for it which I bought in Aug. of 1972 for $22.89 ! One of the BEST smoking pipes I own! :twisted: :twisted:

Richard Burley":stiaer15 said:

Should have been more specific: Absolutely a cob, if you have one you love!

That one looks very nice indeed! Very nicely shaped, and I like the brown, ruggy sandblasting.

Hehe, this could turn into a price competition: Mine cost me $19 US :D

monbla256":whevel6e said:
...Richard, is your pipe a Mountbatten by any chance? Charatan did not make any seconds as Mountbattens were made by apprentice carvers using the same briar as the Charatans and the same standard shapes.
It's not stamped as such, just MADE IN LONDON ENGLAND, the same as another alleged Charatan second I have. I had that identical pipe, a bent pot, in Charatan first form. They looked identical to me, other than the lack of the stepped bit on the "second," and the lack of MADE IN on the first, the imprint being CHARATAN'S MAKE, LONDON ENGLAND. Exact same size and style of lettering on both. In any event, they both smoke great.

There are a number of low end pipes here that do a great deal of smoking. Not that there is a lack of nicer pipes but because the low end pipes I have are all very old and used old wood when they were made. I believe that contributes to better smoking. Pics will follow soon but I haven't got time at present to get them. Love that Everyman I have one rather like that that I enjoy immensely.

Jim

huffelpuff":1zksea9k said:
There are a number of low end pipes here that do a great deal of smoking. Not that there is a lack of nicer pipes but because the low end pipes I have are all very old and used old wood when they were made. I believe that contributes to better smoking. Pics will follow soon but I haven't got time at present to get them. Love that Everyman I have one rather like that that I enjoy immensely.

Jim
That's a good point, and I think you're right. The first pipe I bought for my new collection was an old BBB from app. the 60's with metal inlay on the stem. It's just from one of the standard series, but I haven't detected one single filling on the bowl. You wouldn't get that today from a standard pipe. I think the constant hunt for good briar somehow exploits the natural ressources.
Love to see your pictures when you find the time!

The far left is an old Yello-bowl from the 40's or 50's. Next to that top right is a Trapper from Drucquer & Son, EA Carey magic inch rusticated brandy, Normar longshanked something, Kaywoodie Super grain Dublin, No name made in England panel pipe and a bent rusticated Chateau Brauer. Not one of these pipes cost me more than 20$ most were between 3-5$. Everyone of them smokes incredibly well.

Jim

huffelpuff":6bxl2k1k said:

The far left is an old Yello-bowl from the 40's or 50's. Next to that top right is a Trapper from Drucquer & Son, EA Carey magic inch rusticated brandy, Normar longshanked something, Kaywoodie Super grain Dublin, No name made in England panel pipe and a bent rusticated Chateau Brauer. Not one of these pipes cost me more than 20$ most were between 3-5$. Everyone of them smokes incredibly well.

Jim
I really like the Drucquer and the Chateau Brauer. And I like that they’re well taken care of but still show the wear. Haven’t heard the names before, though. Do you know anything about the brands?

Jens

All I know of the CB is that it was made in France and was originally a smooth pipe. I bought it refurbished off of eBay and the gent had rusticated it himself. He did an outstanding job of it too. The Trapper is from a shop in I believe Sam Francisco that shut down by the early to mid 80's that was a hugely popular shop. I believe that Mr G L Pease worked there in his younger days.

Jim

huffelpuff":gxh3xvmg said:
All I know of the CB is that it was made in France and was originally a smooth pipe. I bought it refurbished off of eBay and the gent had rusticated it himself. He did an outstanding job of it too. The Trapper is from a shop in I believe Sam Francisco that shut down by the early to mid 80's that was a hugely popular shop. I believe that Mr G L Pease worked there in his younger days.

Jim

That's interesting. I looked up this Pease and he seems to be a big tobacco maker in the US. Would love to try out some of them, but unfortunately I've never seen them in Europe.

Yes I'm afraid his blends are not generally available in Europe. He occasionally pops in here on the BoB and it's always enlightening when he does. I'm afraid I haven't tried very many of his blends myself. I just don't smoke very many latikia blends.

Jim

That blast looks like old Algerian wood. Another thing is that Charatan was a brand that stopped the blast and rusticated the shank/stem transition. :shock:

I have some Grabow pots that are astonishingly good smokers. The combo that seems to work for me is the threaded tenon with a vulcanite stem.

Here is a Belvedere I got off the 'Bay for $8.50 (I think).

I think this one qualifies as a "cheap one"! I don;t think I paid $5CAD for it as part of a mixed box of battered estates. It was in horrendous shape when I started work on it but it rehabilitated very nicely and has become one of a handful of briars that I reach for the most. The bit is comfortable, the weight balanced, and it smokes easily with just about whatever blend I throw at it.

Here is a Before & After pic to show you what I actually paid money for.... :shock: :shock:

zombie-before-after.jpg

ontariopiper":lt7tl1fr said:
I think this one qualifies as a "cheap one"! I don;t think I paid $5CAD for it as part of a mixed box of battered estates. It was in horrendous shape when I started work on it but it rehabilitated very nicely and has become one of a handful of briars that I reach for the most. The bit is comfortable, the weight balanced, and it smokes easily with just about whatever blend I throw at it.

Here is a Before & After pic to show you what I actually paid money for.... :shock: :shock:

zombie-before-after.jpg
Impressive transformation Charles!

8)

Cheers,

RR

ontariopiper":nqdhi1ba said:

zombie-before-after.jpg
Good lord! The "before" looks almost like stoneware.
Very nice work indeed!

Jens

Fr_Tom":uxchvq6j said:
I have some Grabow pots that are astonishingly good smokers. The combo that seems to work for me is the threaded tenon with a vulcanite stem.

Here is a Belvedere I got off the 'Bay for $8.50 (I think).

That one looks nice, Fr_Tom! I looked up Dr. Grabow (another American name unfamiliar to me). Apparently he was a real doctor in no way associated with the pipes. In the 30's he was asked to lend his name to convince costumers of this "healthy" product. Apparently he was very flattered and regularly received pipe gifts during his lifetime. Really liked the story:

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Grabow

JensDK":m3exjinp said:
That one looks nice, Fr_Tom! I looked up Dr. Grabow (another American name unfamiliar to me). Apparently he was a real doctor in no way associated with the pipes. In the 30's he was asked to lend his name to convince costumers of this "healthy" product. Apparently he was very flattered and regularly received pipe gifts during his lifetime. Really liked the story:

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Grabow
I really am very fond of them.

I am smoking Pegasus in a Silver Duke pot as I type this.

I'm like you Fr. Tom, Pots are my favorite shape and those two look really nice ! :twisted: