Show us your RD Pipe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I know my “RD Pipe”...hand made by Ron ...is one of my very favorite briars.  The design, proportion, attention to detail and his spectacular finish are second to no other maker. It still sits in my top rack, unsmoked, as I can’t bring myself to sully its pristine perfection.

I noticed today, on the “what are younsmoking” thread that Peter D has a fraternal twin to mine. His is smooth with a black stem...mine is blasted with one of Ron’s Cumberland stems.

I’m thinking if any other member sees this and has one of Ron’s beauties it would be fun to show them off.

Here’s mine...photos by Ron...

They are great smokers, up there with the very best. Kick my ass for not getting one of the morta rhodesians he made before exiting Texas. I have three of his briars, I think. One I smoke hell out of, 'cause it just plain loves latakia blends. But I too have one that I haven't smoked yet. Not sure why, other than it being very large, and I can't quite figure out how to smoke it comfortably. I have large hands, but the circumference of this bowl is intimidating. Or maybe I just like having a pristine Powell on a display stand, which is where it sits. Won't fit on a rack. I'll fire it up eventually, sooner than later.

OK I'll play. Here's a few (all from Ron's website)-

73-1.jpg

52-1-0001.jpg

30th-3.jpg

39th-1-0001.jpg

591.jpg

54-4-0001.jpg

Plus there's an olivewood pipe that's not on his website. Ron graciously gifted me this pipe and it's a fine a smoker as any pipe I've ever had.

Ron certainly knows what he's all about and hope to see his wares available once again.

Cheers,

RR

Blackhorse":epofh9rt said:
I know my “RD Pipe”...hand made by Ron ...is one of my very favorite briars.  The design, proportion, attention to detail and his spectacular finish are second to no other maker. It still sits in my top rack, unsmoked, as I can’t bring myself to sully its pristine perfection.

I noticed today, on the “what are younsmoking” thread that Peter D has a fraternal twin to mine. His is smooth with a black stem...mine is blasted with one of Ron’s Cumberland stems.

I’m thinking if any other member sees this and has one of Ron’s beauties it would be fun to show them off.

Here’s mine...photos by Ron...

Let me know if you need someone to break that in for you.  Gorgeous looking pipe.  Actually all the pipes on this page by Ron are stellar looking.  Hope that Ron does start carving again and I can be lucky to snag one.

Rande - Olive Wood, eh?  Wow.  Are any of the ones you posted yours? I thought you had snagged that Canadian. Um, I think you have a couple of duplicates there, the blasted Chubby Author and the Morta were already posted...but certainly no harm.  I could look at ‘em again and again.  

Especially since one of ‘em is mine...all mine...bwahaahaaahaaa!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Blackhorse":d4sj0l4u said:
Rande - Olive Wood, eh?  Wow.  Are any of the ones you posted yours? I thought you had snagged that Canadian. Um, I think you have a couple of duplicates there, the blasted Chubby Author and the Morta were already posted...but certainly no harm.  I could look at ‘em again and again.  

Well I thought the ones I posted were the ones I bought but some look similar so I could be confused.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":hot2ygij said:
Blackhorse":hot2ygij said:

Well I thought the ones I posted were the ones I bought but some look similar so I could be confused.

Cheers,

RR

Well that’s cool. We might have a couple of stable mates. Twin Authors of the same father, or something.

Blackhorse":5ob002oh said:
Brewdude":5ob002oh said:
Blackhorse":5ob002oh said:

Cheers,

RR

Well that’s cool. We might have a couple of stable mates. Twin Authors of the same father, or something.
Otay, so of these I am completely sure of-

73-1.jpg

I don't remember the purchase date, but do recognize the specific Cumberland markings on the stem. This also may have been Ron's very first foray into the world of Morta, and the original purchaser backed out allowing me the opportunity. I'll swear this is the exact pipe I have, only by the stem markings as compared to the others. But hey, I've been wrong before....

52-1-0001.jpg

This is a commission I asked Ron for, and while he was reluctant he did agree to it as I wanted a Dublin bowl on one of his long Canadian shank/stems. For sure this is exclusively mine.

30th-3.jpg

This monster of a bowl is the one I call the "Flying Saucer". No question it's the right one as it's the only one he's done with a bowl so large.

39th-1-0001.jpg

Double checked this one and yup, the exact pipe I have.

591.jpg

Another distinctive shape that I can confirm is the one I have.

54-4-0001.jpg

So that leaves this one, which the lighting on the photo is a little different from the color shown on the one in my hand. Yet I'll swear that it's the same pipe due to all the other markings.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers,

RR

Rons' pipes, to me, are on the scale of Michael Parks of Canada...just not the price. His quality is matched by none. Each and every one is just fabulous. No, I don't own one...yet. Maybe, I'll be able to afford one in the near future when Ron gets back to his paradise.

Blackhorse":rq3t6u1b said:
Cool and cool. What a set.  

So that means my blasted Author is nearly a twin of yours.  

We are truly ‘brothers of briar’!

Your Author is the top one...mine is below...

Yuppers, ours are effectively twins.

Cheers,

RR

Yup, I've got a Morta Dublin/Doggie Cumberland stemmed thingamabob too! I won't bore you with duplicate pictures...

You guys are just incredible, thank you so much for loving my pipes as you do.
Just when I thought my work was forgotten and lost in time.
I hope to be moving a little sooner then intended but, no promises because it all
depends on my financial state at the time and its a bit unpredictable.
I'm looking at the first of November right now, selling most of my collection of over 300 pipes
on eBay has helped enormously but, the final sales still will make the difference.
By no means is it going to be an easy task for me and having to find a home online and
not being able to physically see it is going to be a leap of faith, so I'm depending on the good Lord
to be with me and point the way.
Thank you all again for keeping my work alive.

Blackhorse":ob959pd2 said:
Ha!  Credit where it’s due my good man.

So where are you moving to?
Well, The best I can do at this time is somewhere in East Texas.
There lies the problem, having to find a place online and not knowing till the last minute
to get a truck, load and drive about 1400 miles to unload and pray its the place I seen in the photos.

Richard Burley":66oosg2g said:
I have ALWAYS loved Ron's carvings.  This being my favorite by far.  I haven't smoked in a long time or bought a pipe in over 3 years.  I may be changing both soon as I miss it.  Ron - I hope one day you return to making pipes.  You are amazing at it!!