Show us your wood!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlos":m0veh97c said:
I have been looking around for a #10. Rare as hen's teeth. That one has a super finish on it.
Interestingly, they're not as rare as they were a few years ago. When I first "discovered" the shape, I was smitten. Luca had one on his site for months, and no one bit. Finally, I said, "Okay, send it." When it arrived, I was surprised and amused by its diminutive size. I asked for more information.

Apparently, the shape was somewhat popular in Europe, but almost completely unknown in the US, where larger pipes are in higher demand. Castello produced only a few #10s when they made them, which was infrequently. Naturally, I went hunting. The first step was to check with Marco, and see if he could help. I also began searching ebay, all the esate shops, everything.

I managed to get four examples, including, thanks to Marco, and my dear friend Marty Pulvers, a Perla Nera. Then, a fantastic Sea Rock appeared on ebay, and I got it for a very attractive price. I was one of two bidders.

Of course, I wrote about the shape, and added pictures to my collection page. Suddenly, there was greater interest in the Brucianaso, and Castello began making more of them - and I was no longer the only guy chasing after them. So much for the bargains. Shooting my mouth off caused an increase in supply, and a corresponding increase in demand. (It's difficult to figure which came first in this case. I suspect Castello speculated that there might be in increased interest in the shape, so they made a bunch to test the waters.)

I have heard reports that even Hamlin "blames" me, though not specifically, for the popularity of the shape, which he considers "ridiculous," saying it can't possibly smoke well because of its size, though he's never had one. (He actually didn't even know the shape existed prior to my "blogging" (his words) about it...)

Subsequently, Luca had Radice produce the "Chubby Billiard," which is like a Brucianaso on anabolic steroids, and it, too, has become quite popular.

I think the story is kind of amusing. I had no idea I could sway popular opinion so drastically. ;)

Greg,

I saw that beauty on Mike's site and almost went for her myself. Congratulations of a fine #10.

I only wish this Purdy was mine. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to photograph it for Will, though. He does SUCH amazing work, and I love this shape.

2232548584_3d91bed834.jpg

glpease":zwgf2y58 said:
I only wish this Purdy was mine. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to photograph it for Will, though. He does SUCH amazing work, and I love this shape.

2232548584_3d91bed834.jpg
Very interesting shape for sure Greg. A beautiful pipe! It also has a very interesting grain pattern.

One of the pipes that I am carrying for today's smoking is a Ben Wade Danish Hand Model 200. It is a fine smoking instrument indeed and today I have been smoking C&D Blockade Runner in it. I am seriously thinking that I will dedicate this pipe to that blend.

BenWade200.1.jpg

BenWade200.2.jpg

My top 5 smokers:

Ronny Thuner stubby:

IMG_5706.jpg

Stephen Downie "Hob" (from the Chicago 2007 Show):

IMG_6153.jpg

Ser Jacopo Calumet:

IMG_6147.jpg

Ser Jacopo R1 Hawkbill:

IMG_6145.jpg

Mark Tinsky Hawkbill (pipe in the rear):

IMG_5703.jpg

A few very close runners-up:

Radice Hawkbill, twin-bore, oil-cured (can you tell I love this shape?):

IMG_6148.jpg

Kaywoodie GFO 2007 POY:

IMG_5705.jpg

My sweetie smoking our Kaywoodie 5-knuckle Bamboo, made for me by Bill F.:

GlendawithBigBamboo.jpg

Awesome pipes Nina!!!

I smoked my GFO POY earlier today. Awesome pipe!

Hey Nina,

How are things coming with the possibility of opening a GF franchise out there on the west coast?

I want to a make general comment "I LOVE THIS THREAD".

I'm not going to comment on each and every post, but it is great to see all your photos.

Keep it up.

:D Paul (for envy)

Nina,

That avatar is killing me everytime I look at it. I just love that little dog!

Puff Daddy":uau0pdlf said:
Man I love that Calumet!! Great pipe there!! 8)
Thanks, Puff -- it's a truly awesome smoker! I'm such a sucker for pretty, shiny stuff, but this one is much more than just a great looker. If you ever see a Calumet for sale, give it your consideration -- they're not cheap, but certainly well worth it. I got this one as an estate, so the price was pretty reasonable.

Justpipes":5jmvl7tn said:
Hey Nina,

How are things coming with the possibility of opening a GF franchise out there on the west coast?
Hey JP, so far I've been all talk and no walk -- Glenda is in Louisiana right now, interviewing for a job at a refinery between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. If she gets it, we'll be moving back home soon. We're starting to think about a "GF New Orleans" instead!

Justpipes":jbncguio said:
Nina,

That avatar is killing me everytime I look at it. I just love that little dog!
Heh heh, when I saw that photo it just tickled me so much I had to use it. I believe it's the world's smallest adult dog -- a 2 lb. Chihuahua or some such.

Ok, another Brissett masterpiece and I think the Pipemaker just might have out done himself on this one. This is an awesome pipe in every respect. A full bent Billiard/Egg with a saddle stem that displays a beautiful flame grain all around the bowl. The shank has a beautiful Boxwood treatment that contrasts well with the rich walnut finish. IMHO this is a perfect size pipe that I would say is a group 5-6 with a very ample tobacco capacity. Don't let the full bend fool you as this is a very dry smoker and it smokes like a dream!

Brissett530-1.jpg

Brissett530-2.jpg

Brissett530-3.jpg