Show us your wood!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Collecting pipes and tobacco is a lot of fun, but clearly it's more interesting (at least to me) to look at pipe collections than collections of stacks of tins. Don't get me wrong, fat stacks are great, wish I had more, but there's beauty in the briar! :face:

I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we could show off some of our nicer pipes, a new pipe, or any pipe just cuz you wanted to :D

I put together a little photo set of some of my better briars. f you click on the thumbnails there's a tag under the photos telling what the pipe is, or you can hit the Slideshow link and sit back and watch.

http://flickr.com/photos/puff_daddy/

Now, show us your wood!

Dang you got some nice pipes. I knew you were focusing on upgrading your collection but I didn't know to what extent. Very cool stuff.

When I began collecting a couple years back I started buying up a whole bunch of estates, many different styles, brands and shapes. The idea was to go ahead and educate myself by experiencing as broad a selection of pipes (and of course tobaccos) as I could so I'd have a true feel for things and could build opinions. After a while I began to respect certain things about certain pipes and I began selling off the "Educational set" and buying keepers. I went from around 55 pipes down to around two dozen (plus a few beaters that smoke well, set aside as take-to-work pipes). Am on hold for a spell, but still have ideas :idea: I would like to put together a few little micro collections within the collection - some old English billiards, a few North American carvers, a set of old GBD's with perspex stems, (the smaller 3 digit pipes - I have one that I bought off Greg Pease, it's a great smoker!) and a few older Dunhills that have some sort of significance for me.

The Castello Sea Rock prince in that set is new...and put away in the wifes dresser drawer. It's a Christmas present (that I picked out) and she only let me take it out to photograph it :( Had to give it back til the 25th :santa:

Here's a few of my fav's. These are old pics I have to get some new shots to include my new Castello's...
peterson309-1.jpg

petersonprof.jpg

petersonoriginal.jpg

cb3-1.jpg

cavicchibent.jpg

dunhill2a.jpg

Yo P.Diddy,

Who made that awesome blasted horn in the last pics?

Best,
Dock

Puff Daddy":9uz6o1t2 said:
Dock J.Perry":9uz6o1t2 said:
Who made that awesome blasted horn in the last pics?
It's an S. Bang carved by Ulf, a real gem!!
It's a gorgeous blast & shape though it must be a bit hard to light.My own failures w/ nearly any canted bowls/ horns have derailed many a pipe purchase.

Best,
D.Perry

You're right Dock, and it will probably be my only horn (well, maybe, :lol: ) I just couldn't resist, it was so purty :heart: It is a bit difficult to light, only because I'm so cautious about keeping the rim super clean. You can't see what you're doing with the match so it can be a bit precarious. Relights with the zippo are a non issue, easy as pie. It is actually pretty easy to smoke once it's lit, comfortable to hold and smokes like a champ! I would eventually like to get a Bang bulldog or rhodesian carved by Per, be nice to have one from each carver and I love their take on that BD/rho shapes :face:

Yep, saw that beauty when you posted the photo gallery of your pipes a few weeks back. Very, very nice indeed! I don't see myself aquiring too many high grade danish pipes, they're pretty cost prohibitive, but if a guy was going to want to have one or two examples of the genre S. Bang makes some of the finest looking pipes out there, and they're not so terribly rare that you can't find one sooner or later for a reasonable price 8)

Here are my latest acquisitions. 2007 Gray Fox POY by Kaywoodie and a Kaywoodie Gold Series bent Dublin.

GFPOY07.jpg

KayDubBill.jpg

I should be receiving my new Tinsky sometime this week.

Phew!! What a relief. Thought Mike might have misunderstood and sent a photo of his woodie.