silly question from the newbie...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confidence Cohen

Reaction score
Okay. One of my favorite tobacco stores is about to shut down. The owner has this amazing blend that I like alot. I'm about to buy a pound (or so) before he moves off to New York. What is the best way to store pipe tobacco?

Can you treat it like cigars and put it in the humidor?

I have an idea that I want to try out and I'm curious if I'd just f* it up.

I have this solid wooden box that has a window in it. The box is probably about the size of 10 cd cases stacked on top of eachother. If I put one of those small round velcro humidifiers in the box, would that be sufficient?

PS. My current stash sits in an air-tight canister type thing in individual little ziplock baggies. I normally smoke all my tobacs before they go dry/stale.

Mason-jarring is the way to go--no need to take up space in a humidor. If you'd like to prolong your enjoyment, I'd suggest many smaller jars, so the seal isn't broken on too much all at once. If you have a good seal, the proverbial "cool dry place" is fine.

I've seen one B&M keep tinned tobacco in their walk-in humidor, with no ill effect, but their bulks were in the usual glass-and-gasket tobacco jars.

Confidence, cliked wrong button, sent this as new post so I'll just re-enter. I really like the 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jars. They hold approx. 2 ounces depending on cut and how you prefer to pack them. Also, they stack really well. If you really like that blend a whole lot, might consider more than a pound, when it's gone, its gone. I think mason has been bought out by Kerr, but they are still same product.

Bd

Never Forget!

i just don't like the look of mason jars. I am a fan of the humidor/low key wooden box look. Would it be okay in the "humidor?"

I would think that your Mason Jars, in your Humidor, would be ok. and still look ok......

Alan :pipe:

I vaguely remember Greg Pease commenting on this subject. If you keep your humidor around 70 percent humidity that is too high for pipe tobacco. I think he said it's should be somewhere around 50 if memory serves me.

I had the same aversion to the mason jars but function won out over form and I just store them in a cabinet with doors on them. :lol:

jhuggett":rxqoo9cf said:
I had the same aversion to the mason jars but function won out over form and I just store them in a cabinet with doors on them. :lol:
Exactly !! :cheers:

If you don't like the 'mason jar look' ,

buy the jars..keep the box they come it.. Load em up with baccy...put em back in the box..place box in bottom of closet.
Get one of those 'baccy flaps' or a tobacco pouch and load it up as needed.

This method will keep the tobacco fresh, out of sight, and provide you an excuse for a cool new pipe widget.

The humidor is not a terrible idea, its just a very hard idea to pull off..IMO it isn't worth it.

"Ball" has an "Elite Platinum collection" They are fancier than the standard style jar.

They're Squared off & have grey satin finish lids and rings, And it gives your cellar more of an upscale look.

They are inexpensive, and available through Wallmart & Amazon

100_0433.jpg

I agree with PB put the majority into smaller mason jars. Keep a small amount in a visually appealing container then open up the mason jars as you use it up. Your reserve stays fresh.

Rompin Donkey":ze0nenn6 said:
I would think that your Mason Jars, in your Humidor, would be ok. and still look ok......

Alan :pipe:

Is it funny that I think this might be the method I go for? Haha.

Nope. That's the beauty of it... The only 'wrong' way of doing it is one that doesn't preserve your tobacco in a smokable state.. Every other way is the 'right' way.

We have somewhere around 50-75 regular posters here. I would imagine there are 50-75 different tobacco storage set ups in the group. :)

Just whatever you do don't get TJ started in the thread. :D :D :D

BTW: I like that pipe in the pic.. What is it?

Ball platinum,,,half pint jars,,,convenient, safe,,,,sterilize , pack, screw down the lid and sleep at night,,,,made in america,,,,if he's closing down I'd bug the tobacconist for the blend recipe if you enjoy it that much,,,just a thought,,,,

mark":xlhwtr7d said:
Ball platinum,,,half pint jars,,,convenient, safe,,,,sterilize , pack, screw down the lid and sleep at night,,,,made in america,,,,if he's closing down I'd bug the tobacconist for the blend recipe if you enjoy it that much,,,just a thought,,,,
Good call!

It's a Mario Grandi. I love it. Good pipe for the Price.

EUGENEVO_DSCI1156.JPG

EUGENEVO_DSCI1157.JPG

EUGENEVO_DSCI1159.JPG

What are your thoughts?

I guess this could be in a different Category, but oh well.

Considering he's closing up, have you thought of trying to make a deal for the rest of that tobacco including the container(s) he keeps it in? I would also think he's got some tobacco jars he would be willing to part with at a good price.

Jim...my ha'pence worth

Mark, I don't know why we didn't think of that before. Get that recipe, someone else can mix it up for you.. Jim's idea is good too, just buy his set-up, he probably won't want to carry it with him.

As for the pipe. Two thumbs up!

Confidence Cohen":o2zj5qsn said:
It's a Mario Grandi. I love it. Good pipe for the Price.

EUGENEVO_DSCI1156.JPG

EUGENEVO_DSCI1157.JPG

EUGENEVO_DSCI1159.JPG

What are your thoughts?

I guess this could be in a different Category, but oh well.
I have seen those Mario Grandi pipes on eBay. Amazing looking pipes for the money!

that is a nice pipe! I like how the rustication has a fissured looking. very geological! could mario grande be making a new look for smooth/ rust. pipes? now I will have to start looking closer at his pipes. ya know how certain pipes just grab you? that is one of them.

He definitely does some INTERESTING things with pipes. I will just tell you that I did buy a duet from him (2 matching accenting pipes), and I wasn't impressed with the craftsmanship. Just for that reason, I'm only going to buy his singles. I have a feeling that his prices may go up eventually. They smoke extremely well. I definitely recommend him. 50-100 bucks plus 15 bucks for shipping. can't beat that.