Single Malt Value

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
I can get very good bourbon for ~$30 for 750 ml. For me this is Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage or Woodford Reserve; in scotch McClelland's single malts are ~$25. For me McClellands is great scotch, especially the Islay.

Yet the typical single malt is at least $50, and they ascend rapidly; most are more in the range of $60-$90.

I think NC has a heavier tax than other states, but that's all I can get. I think I can get it cheaper online but then must pay shipping.

So my question is how can these upper-end single malts be worth two and three times as much as what I now regard as fine spirits? Perhaps their advocates drink an oz one or twice a week when they really want to savor the best. Is this like some out-of-production, fabled tobacco they you sip from only sporadically.

You will reply that they have fabulous flavor and complexity, in which case I may yet venture forth.

Mostly it's because Scotch is 'in' right now.

Just a few years back Vodka was the 'in' and some of it was going well over triple digits per 750ml.

Is it good stuff? Yes, is it worth that much? If you truely have the tongue for it then yes. For the other 99% of us probably not. Me? I'm a luddite of late. If its not Gin (preferably Beefeaters), vermouth (preferably Noilly Prat extra dry), and a green olive I'm really not interested...

Well, the real value is in finding a good single malt at a good price. Though there are some really good expensive single malts worth the asking price, there are plenty of expensive single malts that are not. Not thatnthey aren't good, they just aren't that good. Of course, that's all relative, a matter of taste and how easy it is for you to spend $50, $60, $70 a bottle. There are some great malts in the $30-50 range (California prices) but there are some good bargains out there too.

Worth the money:

Lagavulin - $65
Bunnahabhain -$50
Aberlour A'Bunadh -$60
Ardbeg -$48

Good stuff at reasonable cost:

Aberlour 12 -$32
Old Pultney 12 -$34
Laphroaig -$34

Alfredo, not sure if you have ventured across state lines into Tennessee, but their selection of fine liquors is much better than here in Alabama, and the prices are much more affordable. Another thing I enjoy about Tennessee, is they carry a lot of limited editions, which may equal a nice decanter, or possibly some freebie item, to go along with your purchase.

As for single malts, I usually always keep a high grade version on hand, but personally my palate much prefers a good single barrel bourbon, regardless the price comparison.

Also Scotch has to be imported, and comes from much further away (if you're in the US). Have you seen the cost of fuel? Some scotches are brought to the US in bulk containers and bottled in US but some are bottled where distilled.

Just keep sipping bourbon.

I look at fancy-shmancy scotch the same as I do golf. I'm sure it's great fun but that's one more expense I don't need.

If you do venture into a $100 bottle, maybe try to find someplace with a good selection and a good bartender to try to match your tastes to a particular type. Don't be afraid to tell them you would like to try the best, not the most expensive. That's usually in their marketing framework anyway.

I have a few friends that are really into scotch but when the topic comes up (bar, dinner party etc) I'm usually a too little tipsy to remember the technical specifics of their reason for purchasing a specific bottle.

I love scotch but I need a buffer like equal parts water. I wouldn't want to subject a single malt to any more than a thimble.

I'll stick to Johnny Walker Red and my staples Pimms, Bombay and Jamison. All are around $20-25 here. I'm not a Bourbon fan though. Too sweet...

People will swear they can taste the difference between Grey Goose and Brand X. Vodka varies between drinkable and rot gut. Having a neutral flavor is the point. Stolichnaya is a fine vodka at $20/750ml.

Auchentoshan (various) and The Singleton are among my favorite $35 +/- scotches.

There's a few things here I think - Scotch is kinda collectible, some people collect and keep sealed and others collect lots of bottles to build up and sample around small amounts from each here and there. Some of the more expensive malts are simply made in lesser volume that the cheaper ones, and perhaps with with deliberate methods, and supply/demand takes effect and collectibility drive the price up more. Others are just overpriced and not very good, and then others are overhyped and overpriced and just OK. At least in my experience, which isn't that extensive, but I've sampled quite a bit. Its all about what you like, as with anything else.

There are some great malts at the lower end, but if I don't want to spend more than $20-24 I go with bourbon. (Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 12yo, and Connor Creek stand out in my mind as incredibly good values.)

Depends, Ive had a few that werent worth it and some that were. I tend to towards Ardbeg and The Balvenie, granted they are very different, but they are equally adept at scratching the same itch when the mood calls for it.

Bourbon I tend to head towards Willett over all others, even the mighty Pappy Van Winkle (overpriced)

I would probably have to do some looking for a good $30 single malt. I have a bunnahabhain 12 that I paid $39 in SC. And you are right, NC has some high taxes and a fairly crappy selection of good spirits.

This is my absolute favorite single malt, but it runs about $54 in SC.
i-qKJdFS3-L.jpg

keen smoke":1l2xq1re said:
There's a few things here I think - Scotch is kinda collectible, some people collect and keep sealed and others collect lots of bottles to build up and sample around small amounts from each here and there. Some of the more expensive malts are simply made in lesser volume that the cheaper ones, and perhaps with with deliberate methods, and supply/demand takes effect and collectibility drive the price up more. Others are just overpriced and not very good, and then others are overhyped and overpriced and just OK. At least in my experience, which isn't that extensive, but I've sampled quite a bit. Its all about what you like, as with anything else.

There are some great malts at the lower end, but if I don't want to spend more than $20-24 I go with bourbon. (Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig 12yo, and Connor Creek stand out in my mind as incredibly good values.)

I have a little problem with that. Small compared to others.
i-6CMKdLG-L.jpg

Excellent choice on the Springbank, that's fantastic stuff. They malt their own barley in house, bottle at 46%, and add no artificial coloring. It's darned good stuff. Runs about $58 a bottle here.

I wish I could drink Ardbeg and Lagavulin all the time, but I can't afford to.
I did just pick up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 for $22.00, and it'll get me through the night... 8)

cds43":ssp7el0d said:
keen smoke":ssp7el0d said:

I have a little problem with that. Small compared to others.
i-6CMKdLG-L.jpg

Oh my dear Lord.
I'm currently up for adoption...

Harlock, I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10yo. Wow! The peat/smokiness hit me right between the eyes. It has a fairly similar nose and finish like a good pipe tobacco. (Weird) I see that Balvenie peking outta the back. Also good stuff.

WaydeG":5am8wv49 said:
Harlock, I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10yo. Wow! The peat/smokiness hit me right between the eyes. It has a fairly similar nose and finish like a good pipe tobacco.
Absolutely!
The Islay malts produce an aroma that compares very favorably to a strong English blend tobacco, which you seem to enjoy as well.
Cheers!

Maybe it's psychological but I've had Johnnie Walker and Dewar's... and then I tried Macallan 12 and Glenlivet, then Highland Park... I do smell/taste a big difference in quality and consistency with the single malts.

I prefer anything from Islay but rarely can afford the big names like Lagavulin and Ardbeg. If your a budget guy looking for less expensive alternatives than I suggest Black Bottle and Islay Mist. The Black Bottle took down a Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco Spirits Competition. The Black Bottle is very smooth and the Islay Mist is not as smooth but has much more of the Smoke and Peat that I love. They're hard to find but I found a source here in Jersey and both can be had for < $20. They are amazing values that I hardily suggest you try if you can find them.

Single Malts are like tobacco blends. There are hundreds of them, they start at excellent and get better with every drink or puff. Having tried many of the blended Scotch Whiskies IMO there aren't any that compare to a Single Malt but again it all comes down to personal preference. My palate tells me that even the costly and delicious high end blended Scotches don't equal some of the inexpensive Single Malts. Call me a Scotch slut if you will, but that's my 2 cents.  :D 

I just bought a bottle of glenfidditch I thought it was pretty tastey, there seems to be a shortage of Islay around here mostly speyside and the northern region

If I was only ever allowed to drink one spirit for the rest of my life (and I still had to pay for it,) Laphroaig "Quarter Cask" would be the one.