Skin problems with wet sahving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I have been shaving with a safety razor for longer than I want to or can remember.
I currently have two infected areas on my face that I believe come from either (1) partially removing but not cutting off or eliminating a whisker or (2) shaving too close.
I change blades once a week and have had similar problems but not to this degree.
I am using hot compresses that hopefully bring the problem to a head that can easily be removed.
Have you had any similar problems?
Any advice (eg sanitize razor,change blades more often etc)?

Once in a blue moon I might get an ingrown hair from shaving too close, which can be a bitch, but generally speaking, no. Is your beard nice and soft, made that way by any means, before shaving? Go easy on your hide. I don't recommend a really close shave every time you shave, unless you're dating Scarlett Johansson. Somewhere I read a quote (I think it was Calvin Klein or one of those guys) that men shouldn't strive for a close shave, but rather an even shave.  I don't think changing blades more often is the solution. No less than the head of Gillette once said in an interview that a blade should easily last 30 days, and in my case seems to be true. Seems like the guy would have an interest in stating the opposite. In any case, stop shaving for a few days until it clears up. Sorry, but that's all I have.  ~ Your pal, Doc Rick.

I've been having success with hot towel for a minute or so, then shaving cream without wetting my face. With the razor, just pull it without much pressure. Haven't had trouble with ingrown hairs for a while. I know it's counterintuitive to put the shaving cream on without moisture first, but hell if it doesn't work.

Hey Bub,

I've not been wet shaving as long as you but long enough to have a trouble free technique.

Just a thought, how aggressive would you say your razor is? As you'll know, if they're not of the adjustable variety, some safety razors are naturally mild and others are seriously aggressive. I wonder if yours is closer to the latter and that's the root of your problems?

Sounds like you have an infected ingrown beard hair which will only get worse if you continue to shave. Stop shaving, let the thing come to a head, heal, THEN go back to shaving on a limited basis, working up to daily over a two to three week period. Clean shaven is not to be your style for awhile !! :twisted: :twisted:

I cannot give you advice because I am not a doctor (I can't even look at your face to really offer any useful suggestion).

What I can say is that wet shaving is fun and all, and that's how I usually shave, but I found that it is not the best way to shave if you are concerned about skin care. If you are having skin issues, maybe you can try some of the modern brushless gels (not creams). Places like Nordstrom will give you a sample to try (Jack Black and Billy Jealousy come to mind) and Whole Foods will let you return a product if you don't like it (they carry Bulldog shave gel). It's a way to find out if these products may be for you. Good luck.

I like the idea of letting up and shaving less.

My face has never felt or looked better, even when younger, than when I started wet-shaving.

Make sure your prep is good, as is your lather.

Make sure you are using a less aggressive blade and razor and don't do 3-passes or go for best shave ever every time you shave.

post shave is critical

Alum, Thayer's Peach witch hazel, and post shave balm.

BAZINGA!