Slicing Jacknife Plug...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Dottle

Reaction score
Had my first encounter with Jacknife Plug today and have a question. I was expecting a plug but I think that I got a crumble cake instead. When slicing the plug, the slices just kept coming undone and I was unable to have a single neat and tidy slice like those appearing in the label. I smoke plugs on occasion and never had any trouble cutting nice and even disks or flakes. However, my block of Jacknife Plug is more like a pressed block a la Captain Earle, and crumbles alike. Did I get a defective tin?

By the way, I didn't smoke it yet, but the tin bouquet is divine.

JKP isn't steamed, which is how most of the "monolithic" English plugs are made.

Nothing wrong with your tobacco, in other words, it's just a style of plug you haven't seen before.

Just received a box from smokingpipes that has some in. Can't wait to try it!!!
Steve

Still trying to figure out a good prep method for this, as well as Triple Play. So far my batting average is, shall we say, not too good!

:|

I've had reasonable success with other plugs, yet at this point I have yet to get the hang of the prep on JKP and TP. Read several methods and tried a couple. Guess I gotta keep on keeping on.

:!:

Cheers,

RR

jk10.jpg

Brewdude":jxt6cpez said:
OK Hermit, so you slice this with the grain using a scissors? And then what, rub it out? Do you also dry it out first?

Cheers,

RR
Yeah, I rub it out (or cube cut it) and dry it.
(I like everything on the dry side.)

Hermit":tnefkcjq said:
Brewdude":tnefkcjq said:
OK Hermit, so you slice this with the grain using a scissors? And then what, rub it out? Do you also dry it out first?

Cheers,

RR
Yeah, I rub it out (or cube cut it) and dry it.
(I like everything on the dry side.)
Otay. That's what I'll try next.

Thanks and Cheers,

RR

I am disappointed that JNP has to be cut so thickly to get a slice. From Pease's description, I expected a plug hardy and dense as, shall we say, GH Dark Plug. Does TP have the same characteristics?

I have no doubt that whatever the density both will yield great smokes. I usually dice plugs; in that light Pease/C&D have made my prep easier. But with Pease's description I had hoped to be able to cut thin shavings; as I've never tried this method, that was part of my excitement.

I've been leery of any blend that C&D claims to be a flake, for the same reasons. I guess I need to add plug.

I have a tin of JNP but want to age it at least at least three months before I enjoy it.

alfredo_buscatti":e4hxf7a6 said:
But with Pease's description I had hoped to be able to cut thin shavings; as I've never tried this method, that was part of my excitement.

\.
I put the JKP on a cutting board, and cut it with a serrated bread knife. I am able to cut very thin slices this way. I cannot do this w/Triple Play. In the tin I opened, TP plug is very loose and does not like to be cut thin. Hopefully, this is an issolated event, and the other 9 TP tins I have aging are more dense.

Finally had a chance to have a couple of bowls of this. I like it a lot and will be buying more (yes, that's the extent of my review ;) )

However, my flakes (1/8" to 3/16" thick, that's the thinnest I could accomplish with a knife on a cutting board) crumbled quickly, therefore I'm smoking a loose tobacco rather than the flakes I was expecting and would like to have. But, expectations aside, I'm not disappointed with the smoke. I didn't let it dry, I think the level of moisture it was packed with is to my taste, but I still have to experiment to confirm this. For the next tin I'll try Hermit's method of cutting cubes with a scissor, which I think is easier and can produce a more consistent cut.

So far I found two strands of hair in the tobacco. Look like human hair, white. No, not mine, nobody in my house has white hair that long (actually, I'm the only one here with white hair, and keep it cut at comb #1 length). Hope C&D ramps up their quality control...

Wet Dottle":wiwg5n50 said:
So far I found two strands of hair in the tobacco. Look like human hair, white. No, not mine, nobody in my house has white hair that long (actually, I'm the only one here with white hair, and keep it cut at comb #1 length). Hope C&D ramps up their quality control...
:lol: Somebody must not be wearing their hair nets! I found a really long black hair in my recent tin of Triple Play.

fishnrust":fz11mfss said:
Wet Dottle":fz11mfss said:
:lol: Somebody must not be wearing their hair nets! I found a really long black hair in my recent tin of Triple Play.
Should give it a little shelf time then- when it turns gray should be about right. :lol!:

MisterE":l0ei2802 said:
fishnrust":l0ei2802 said:
Wet Dottle":l0ei2802 said:
Should give it a little shelf time then- when it turns gray should be about right. :lol!:
Now that IS FUNNY!

Hello there folks,

I had a shipment in yesterday and cut a fine slice of a few mm's using a very sharp knife:

6093716340_28e1613934_z.jpg

I haven't a clue if I just had a luck of the draw with the tin but it was fairly straight forward. I've managed to neatly cut several slices now without any hang ups. Tin date is 6th June 2011.

There was a thick indentation running along the top of the slab, you can see it in the above photo, it seemed to run exactly with the grain of the press so I cut inline with this. I can imagine if I had cut the against the grain things would have been a little messy.

I rubbed out the slices and let them dry out a little, packed carefully and had a lovely smoke. Quite a strong one on the vitamin N but I'm fond of strong one in the afternoon and evening.

All in all, I'm extremely impressed with this tobacco, it has some wonderful notes of figs and raisins along with another very appealing taste which I can't quite put my tastebuds on.

If I didn't get the mother of all tongue bites from sipping whisky while smoking a bowl, I'd pair this up with a Dalmore 12, a fine single malt scotch that also has characteristics of raisins and fig.

Well done Mr Pease. I'll certainly pick up some more in the near future.

All the best

Tomas