SLOW FOOD

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
I just got this in a email from a good friend of mine and Boy does it bring back memories.
The only problem is that I remember ALL of them. :lol!:
Just thought I'd share this with you all, knowing many will remember all to well. ;)

I remember all of these so I guess I'm older than dirt. Come to think of it, while I set here at my PC and look out of the window I do believe I see some dirt out in the yard that looks younger than me.

I'm going out side to check this out,,, be right back.

No I was wrong, it was some new dirt that Rootie found under the old dirt while he was digging up the yard chasing Moles.

SLOW FOOD

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,'

I informed him.

'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called

Home,'' I explained. !

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears &Roebuck.

Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow)

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 9.

It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a..m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 21 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home but milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers-- I delivered a newspaper, 7 days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at6AM every morning.

On Saturday, I had to collect the 49 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren.
Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Colabottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.

Real ice boxes.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1.. Blackjack chewing gum

2.. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

3.. Candy cigarettes

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles

5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

7. Party lines on the telephone

8 Newsreels before the movie

9. P.F. Flyers

10. Butch wax

11.. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels... [if you were fortunate])

12. Peashooters

13. Howdy Doody

14. 45 RPM records

15. S& H green stamps

16. Hi-fi's

17.. Metal ice trays with lever

18.. Mimeograph paper

19.. Blue flashbulb

20. Packards

21. Roller skate keys

22. Cork popguns

23. Drive-ins

24. Studebakers

25.. Wash tub wringer

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young

If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,

If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

I remember all but 4. I guess that makes me older than dirt. Granted, I spent a lot of time growing up in the South, so those kinds of things kinda hung around longer, i guess.

I can still smell the wonderful scent of mimeographed pages the teacher would hand out in grade school........without going into the other 24 I remember.

17 -- just a bit to young to really remember some others either new or in use.  But what is butch wax?

1.. Blackjack chewing gum -- I didn't like it; my older brother thought it was funny to slip it into my Wrigleys

2.. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water -- yep

3.. Candy cigarettes -- yep

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles  -- yep; some were still around in the 70s

5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes -- yep; also around through the 70s, at least in rural PA & NY  

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers -- this stopped in my home town just before my memory kicks in; plenty of houses still had the insulated boxes.  I would have to place the evening newspaper in the milk box at those houses

7. Party lines on the telephone -- yep

8 Newsreels before the movie -- cartoons yes; newsreels, no

9. P.F. Flyers -- yes!

10. Butch wax -- nope, and no idea what that is

11.. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels... [if you were fortunate]) -- yep

12. Peashooters -- yep

13. Howdy Doody -- a bit before my time

14. 45 RPM records -- very few of my own, a lot from my older siblings

15. S& H green stamps -- yep, and having to go with my parents 'to the city' where the store to redeem them was

16. Hi-fi's--yep

17.. Metal ice trays with lever -- yep

18.. Mimeograph paper -- yep

19.. Blue flashbulb -- yep

20. Packards -- not new ones, so we won't count that one, or the Studebakers

21. Roller skate keys -- on an old pair of my sister's skates that she no longer used, so we won't count that one, either

22. Cork popguns -- yep, and cap guns

23. Drive-ins -- worked at one the summer of 75

24. Studebakers -- no new ones

25.. Wash tub wringer -- never saw one in actual use

Oh, and 'fast food' when I was a kid (other than on trips)? A peanut butter sandwich and grape kool-ade or milk!

DrT999":hofovllm said:
17 -- just a bit to young to really remember them either new or in use.  But what is butch wax?
It's a hair dressing, primarily for the style known as "flat tops" in the late 50's/early 60's.

I had one back then as a young lad. The brand was called "Lucky Tiger", and I remember it came in a small straight sided jar of about 8 oz. The color was a somewhat unnatural red/pink, and had the consistency of sticky/slimy wax. It also stunk of floral scent.

My Pap used to cut my hair back then and he'd delight in applying this as the last step. Me, I hated it since it felt so gross. Yet, as he had a flat top back then so did I!!!

:roll:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":tmikukqs said:
DrT999":tmikukqs said:
17 -- just a bit to young to really remember them either new or in use.  But what is butch wax?
It's a hair dressing, primarily for the style known as "flat tops" in the late 50's/early 60's.

I had one back then as a young lad. The brand was called "Lucky Tiger", and I remember it came in a small straight sided jar of about 8 oz. The color was a somewhat unnatural red/pink, and had the consistency of sticky/slimy wax. It also stunk of floral scent.

My Pap used to cut my hair back then and he'd delight in applying this as the last step. Me, I hated it since it felt so gross. Yet, as he had a flat top back then so did I!!!

Cheers,

RR
My old man cut my hair back then too but, I got a fricken Butch every summer and hated it.
What I would have given for a flat top.

Oh! And Doc, I still have two ringers, one on my washer and a stand alone one and they both still get use...........when the ole back isn't on the fritz.

Brewdude":7s8o84en said:
DrT999":7s8o84en said:

Oh, then I guess my score is 18 -- my father didn't use it himself, but when he got his crew cut renewed (I had to go with him, even if I didn't want my hair cut), the barber would use that on it! I didn't know that was what it was called. Learn something new every day!

Cartaphilus":n6b5f36e said:
Brewdude":n6b5f36e said:
DrT999":n6b5f36e said:

Cheers,

RR
My old man cut my hair back then too but, I got a fricken Butch every summer and hated it.

Oh! And Doc, I still have two ringers, one on my washer and a stand alone one and they both still get use...........when the ole back isn't on the fritz.
Again, that's something I just missed out on -- I remember my mother getting a new washer and our first dryer for Christmas when I was 4, but I don't remember the washer it replaced, but I believe it had a wringer on it. We even still had the washboard my mother had to use for some things back during WWII, although it was never used in my lifetime so far as I know

Cartaphilus":uagjzqn4 said:
Brewdude":uagjzqn4 said:
DrT999":uagjzqn4 said:

Cheers,

RR
Hey, so maybe that's why I dislike Lakelands so much!

:scratch:

And I also had a butch for many years Ron.

Cheers,

RR

I can remember ALL of 'em like they was yestidy!! But then I be OLDER THAN DIRT as I've been reminded of around here !! BTW, I was getting another bar of Williams shaving soap the other day at Wallgreens and a few shelves down was that "Tiger Wax" pomade still being sold !! Some things just NEVER change !! :twisted: :twisted:

22f1383bb7a9dc0e2e1ad25936297940.jpg

This is what I remember!

:pale:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":coz1xy0v said:
This is what I remember!
Cheers,

RR
Mine was Brylcreme (Little Dab will do ya!) when I got older of course and was allowed to have hair. ;)

"Mine was Brylcreme (Little Dab will do ya!) when I got older of course and was allowed to have hair. "

My grandfather always had Brylcreme.

I am only 41 but you forgot a few.

Manual shift on the column.

Dinner bells.

Working outhouses

Manual water pumps

Radio theatre

Gasoline powered car heaters.

Mercurochrome

Cartaphilus":i3vl61ik said:
Brewdude":i3vl61ik said:
This is what I remember!
Cheers,

RR
Mine was Brylcreme (Little Dab will do ya!) when I got older of course and was allowed to have hair. ;)

My older brother loved the stuff, trying to look like this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MT9QZBGyXjU" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>
J: gas powered car heaters? The others I remember (Mercurochrome with memories of the sting!)

DrT999":ofm11pty said:
Cartaphilus":ofm11pty said:
Brewdude":ofm11pty said:
This is what I remember!
Cheers,

RR
My older brother loved the stuff, trying to look like this:
J: gas powered car heaters?  The others I remember (Mercurochrome with memories of the sting!)
Mercurochrome didn't stink half as much as Iodine did!
And Castor oil had to be the most nastiest tasting stuff created by man.

yep,
I'm older than dirt according to your scoresheet. Damn.
I still wish they had high beam headlight switches on the floor of my car.
:affraid:

I remember my dad referred to the gas pedal as the foot feed. I had no idea what he meant until I saw an old car with the hand feed for gas on the steering column.