SLOW FOOD

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monbla256":9ueo3bh8 said:
I was getting another bar of Williams shaving soap the other day at Wallgreens Some things just NEVER change !! :twisted: :twisted:
Amazing coincidence because I was there the other day buying the same!!!! :shock:

docwatson":7f38ji1m said:
yep,
I'm older than dirt according to your scoresheet. Damn.
I still wish they had high beam headlight switches on the floor of my car.
:affraid:
You and me both Doc! It was so much more easier that way.
I'd like to know what Moron decided to put it on the blinker switch!

Hmm, I didn't think I was older than dirt, but I guess I am. I was lucky to spend much of my early years in the company of my grandparents, so I'm using that as an excuse :p
Mecurichrome, paragoric, camphophenique... I remember glass medicine bottles with little glass wands in them for application. How about real pharmacist that sold coke syrup for an upset stomach and would actually look at a rash or cut to suggest treatment?
Mike.

DrT999: "J: gas powered car heaters?"

Yep. Our '73 VW Thing has a heater in the front trunk space with a gas line running to it. We do not use it. (Seems dangerous)

J Soshae":6682a9ws said:

Yep. Our '73 VW Thing has a heater in the front trunk space with a gas line running to it. We do not use it. (Seems dangerous)
I always wanted one of those; maybe it's a good thing I never got one!

J Soshae":vjvh9uh6 said:

ALL air-cooled VW engines used heater boxes which surrounded the exhaust pipes and this hot air was blown by a fan into the interior. This was the heating system used on ALL of the older VWs from the Beetle thru the Thing , Busses, Square Backs et all. They did not come with gas fueled separate heaters from the factory, though some folks put in separate aftermarket butane fueled heaters. I used one in each of my old 60's busses that I had years ago. :twisted:

Y'alla buncha old farts. I don't remember nunna them things. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. :lol!:

You'll wonder where the yellow went,,,,
See the USA in your ,,,,
Ay ay ay ay, I am the ,,,,
,,,,,,,,tastes good like a ,,,,,
LS/MFT,,,,It's toasted
Double your pleasure,,,
Nothing says lovin like somethin from,,,,
,,,,,,The beer that made Milwaukee famous.

I'd much rather think of myself as experienced and worldly!

HoKay...How about manual windshield wipers (had an old truck on the farm with'em!), or front auto/truck windows that pushed out from the bottom to let air in, or those little triangular window vents you could open in the front seat, or the manual pop-up scoop just in front of the windscreen to let in fresh air???????

ftrplt":4za3k7mw said:
HoKay...How about manual windshield wipers (had an old truck on the farm with'em!), or front auto/truck windows that pushed out from the bottom to let air in, or those little triangular window vents you could open in the front seat, or the manual pop-up scoop just in front of the windscreen to let in fresh air???????
Manual Wipers I don't but vacuum wipers I do.
The little Triangle windows: Wind wings, I still have them and am grateful I do! ;)

Cartaphilus":c0gw8o8g said:
docwatson":c0gw8o8g said:
yep,
It was a German!! VW's and Mercedes's were the first cars I drove that had 'em on the stalk back in the early 70's :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

mark":d4vs9hgd said:
Y'alla buncha old farts. I don't remember nunna them things. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. :lol!:

LS/MFT,,,,It's toasted
Wasn't that radio only . . . as in pre-tv network radio? (they sponsored Jack Benny on some of the shows I use in class)

monbla256":mn46rwcy said:
Cartaphilus":mn46rwcy said:
docwatson":mn46rwcy said:
yep,
It was a German!! VW's and Mercedes's were the first cars I drove that had 'em on the stalk back in the early 70's :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Leave it to a Nazi to screw it up for everybody.

Cartaphilus":mzx4hk8u said:
monbla256":mzx4hk8u said:
Cartaphilus":mzx4hk8u said:
docwatson":mzx4hk8u said:
yep,
Leave it to a Bubba not to be able to operate them!! :twisted:

DrT999":kx7w4ivt said:
mark":kx7w4ivt said:

LS/MFT,,,,It's toasted
Wasn't that radio only . . . as in pre-tv network radio? (they sponsored Jack Benny on some of the shows I use in class)
I remember it from TV and magazines, mainly because it was what my dad smoked.

monbla256":d8vkaov1 said:
Cartaphilus":d8vkaov1 said:
monbla256":d8vkaov1 said:
Cartaphilus":d8vkaov1 said:
docwatson":d8vkaov1 said:
yep,
Leave it to a Bubba not to be able to operate them!! :twisted:
I like Bubba, Zeke is better but, I'll go with Bubba , ya ole Peckerwood!

Monbla, i have never seen the butane car heaters. The heater in the VW is definitely gasoline. Some of these heaters were dealer installed and some came installed from the factory.

981524.jpg

img_4410.jpg

THAT'S the first one of those I've EVER seen!! I've had 6 variations of the air-ooled VW since 66 and NEVER seen a gas heater !! From the tag being all in German I would say your Thing might not have been a US market model as all tag like that on US model cars were in English!! That's a first for me ! The butane powered heaters were a sort of space heater which I mounted up front against the inside on the passengers side. ran a tube along the seat rail from a butane tank mounted on the back side of the passenger seat up to it. Kept things MUCH warmer than the factory heating system ! :twisted: :twisted: I have two friends over in Dallas who have Things and theirs DON'T have a heater like THAT!! :twisted: :twisted:

I'm not older than dirt (45), but I remember most things mentioned here. My generation is the one that seems to have been in the transition between "yesteryear", the things mentioned above, and "today", texting, internet, cell phone, etc.

I guess we had to adapt or be left behind. I can wire our house for a server to stream music and movies and I can fix a leaking faucet. I can tune a carburetor and fix an ebook that isn't formatted directly. I can cut and weld me a metal stand and I can use Photoshop to manipulate digital pictures.

The latter generations have their strengths and weakness and life moves on.

leacha":qx10dqzf said:
I'm not older than dirt (45), but I remember most things mentioned here. My generation is the one that seems to have been in the transition between "yesteryear", the things mentioned above, and "today", texting, internet, cell phone, etc.

I guess we had to adapt or be left behind. I can wire our house for a server to stream music and movies and I can fix a leaking faucet. I can tune a carburetor and fix an ebook that isn't formatted directly. I can cut and weld me a metal stand and I can use Photoshop to manipulate digital pictures.

The latter generations have their strengths and weakness and life moves on.
EVERYONE wants CONSISTANCY in their Lives
The only thing CONSTANT in life is CHANGE
Welcome to life !! :twisted:  :twisted: