SLOW FOOD

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Philosopher":1de9vo2q said:
beardedbassguy":1de9vo2q said:
Mad Philosopher":1de9vo2q said:
If I had a choice, I'd rather own up to how tragic the recent past has been and bloody do something about it.
How tragic the RECENT past has been? History much?

Man has been brutally destroying each other since life was breathed into us.

It's still happening in various ways all across the globe every day.
Technology has enhanced the destructive capacity of mankind, compounded with increased agricultural efficiency meaning there are more people to compete with economically and destroy militarily. Mass starvations have also met record deaths because there are (or were, yet still are) an unprecedented amount of people to feed. Total war is a recent invention, rising at once with the supremacy of air power and the strategic bombing of cities.

I knew I was going to face obstacles by posting a contrary opinion to this whimsical nostalgic view of the past when everything was just so grand....but in making it such a large target I couldn't help but put my two cents in. If you compare the 1950's to hunter gatherer prehistory, of course one is not going to sound as preferable to the other. That dosen't make the opposite a paragon of progress.

:twisted: :twisted:

time moves a little slower here
and that's alright by me
ain't no rush as far as i can see
everythin' that really matters
is worth takin' time to savor

the warmth of the afternoon sun
a good game of checkers with a chum
the laughter of children havin' fun
don't make no sense to hurry it none

no sir

i'm takin' my time here on earth
lettin' the days drift slowly by
the rest of the world is in a big rush
keepin' up with the joneses and such

hurryin' to get further in debt
but not me no sir my plate's plenty full
gotta nap to take then some
checker's to play and
i don't wanna be late

~ poem "Don't Wanna Be Late" as seen in Michael Traveler's new book, "A Little Common Sense from an Old Cowboy"

This pic looks like some of the places I used to go when I first started law enforcement. I'd stop in to get an ice-cold coke and to chat with the old men outside. First thing they always asked, "Is it hot/cold enough for ya'?" lol

I miss those days and those old gents. Spent a many nice afternoon listening to their tales, some true and some just plain ol' entertaining. :lol:

Now I'm getting closer to being one of the old fellers and we ain't got no place to gather like they did. It just ain't the same sitting in a booth at a McDonalds. :(

What I don't abide, is nostalgic picture painting of history, which is precisely what the older generation tends to like to do. I don't care to return to an era where I have to keep my sexual orientation a secret. I don't care to return to an era where it's socially acceptable for men to beat their wives and genitally mutilate their children. Nevermind matters of race. And don't get me started on our diet in those days. There is such a thing as progress, and I'm thankful for it.

what the hell are you talking about..  when/where was it acceptable to beat your wife and mutilate children in the civilized world?  tell me about your problems with the diet in those days?

Now Bullwinkle... Don't be arguing with White Male Hatred...
We beat our women, cut our children's peckers off just in case they might be light in the loafers, and make sure they have their daily serving of dog meat..

If this was in The rubber room where it belongs I'd say something about f*cking retarded a** liberal stupidity.. But we aren't so I'll just shake me mysogeny laden, racist, child hating brain bucket and go on... :fpalm: