Small Cigars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Some of you seasoned cigar smokers will likely roll your eyes, shake your heads or just have a belly laugh...
but I took the plunge and ordered some small cigars...

3 different tins of Meharai's
and 8 different tins of Panter.

I figure I might use them while golfing this summer or maybe my wife will smoke some of them.

The image I am visualizing is looking like Clint Eastwood in those spaghetti westerns of the 60's. Get on the tee, place the ball, toss back the poncho, light up and give a mighty swing...

Does anyone bother smoking these things?

:oops: Paul

I sometimes grab a tin of the Rocky Patel or CAO mini's...other than that I've never tried any.

When we stop at JR's, my wife will pick up a bunch of various small cigars; even a few of the dry-cured ones! I'm not real big on'em; occasionally will try one of the dry cures. FTRPLT

when its cold out i'll have a mini cigar, there not bad, though i've never tried the brands you bought.

I'm not usually into real small cigars, but during the summer playing bocce I enjoy smoking some Avanti dry cured Anisette flavored cigars. They're a bit on the full flavor side, but taste great and others actually like the aroma.

I agree with what has been said. They are great for cold weather! Also windy conditions are a good time to break out some small cigars. Like... on the golf course. And I also like the CAO And RP small sticks. Some others I like are the Ashton Esquires and La Aurora's Princpes.

I don't smoke them often , but they ure do have their place in a cigar smoker's humidor! :)

Lucky

I've tried some minis in the past and never really cared for them. To me the slow smoldering of layered tobacco leaves in a large ring guage is what allows the magic to happen, the small sticks just seem to be completely different animals and are un-cigarlike to me insofar as taste and complexity goes, and that's what I like about a good cigar, the subtlety and complexity. I love the fatter smokes, 50 ring and up. There is only one small ring cigar I really like but it's hardly a small cigar at 7 inches long and 34 ring: the Macanudo Portofino is an extremely tasty and sophisticated smoke. I used to smoke em a lot back in the 90's and have had a couple recently, very, very yummy. Mild but a lot of flavor.

Anyone try the Party shorts (Partagas)? Not sure if these are the cubans or not, but am hearing a lot of chatter about them and how great they are, not quite sure exactly which stick these are.

I really like the Habanos mini's that I've had although I find they always need a little time to age and mellow out.

Heres the funny thing about that PDiddy, The traditional blenders design their smokes using 'corona' or even smaller sizes. This relatively new trend for large ring guage actually presents a slightly different flavor profile than intended. I'm not saying its a bad thing, all my fav's are 46 or up. I'm sure some of the boutique company's aren't following this tradition because their smaller guages seem to be 'not quite right' to me.

Is there a chart that displays "ring size"... Is this somewhat akin to bowl size for a pipe, at least the diameter?

:?: Paul

Yeah Puffs... Rings are measured in 64ths of an inch, course that does you metric junkies no good huh...lol....

I enjoy the CAO vanilla small cigars, and the mayorga coffee ones, but the last tin I bought was some Macanudos at the local walgreens about 4 years ago, smoked ONE, thought they were gross, threw them on my bookcase and forgot about them for all this time and found the tin a couple months ago and smoked one and it was great :lol: So maybe thats the trick, age them for 4 years ;)

Personally I like smaller cigars a lot (though I haven't tried the brands you mentioned). Yes, they are good for cold weather, quicker smokes, but they tend to be a little spicier in general than their fatter brethren. Some are made with mixed or short filler, while the bigger ones under the same brand are made with long filler, so they aren't always apples to apples on par quality-wise.

I found Macambo from JR to be a great bargain for small smokes. Also like the El Rey del Mundo little ones too (in natural and maduro)

-Andrew

They can sometimes tend to bun a bit hotter, and on eis getting as bit less flavor profile ( they are always exceptions) but they are great for a short smoke or a yard 'gar when on eis on the go...heck they are good to just relax with a poncho on and tell the mailman,

"They're are two kind os people, those with guns...and those who deliever mail."

( helps if you're holding a single action, but that's just me) ;)