Small identity crisis

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
I joined up with the pipe magazine forum the other day, made my introductions and just found out there is a J Everett in Maryland that is a pipe maker! Somebody there asked me if my handle was a take off on another member’s pipe brand. It’s not, but I never thought to search for my screen name or google or what have you. My first name is Joshua, and Everett is my middle. I’ve had trouble getting the screen name of my first choosing many times in the past.

Which set my mind working in all different directions. Many guys have screen names that are a tribute to a brand or object of significance in their lives. Think dunhill dude, or burley man. Maybe guitar Gary or something. Have I been mistaken for a devoted fan of an artisan pipe brand I was unaware of? How was I unaware of this for so long? He apparently does all manner of annual holiday themed pipes, and folks love em. Or am I just nuts?

And furthermore, now that I’ve seen this, I can’t unsee it. His stamping is J Everett! How do I not already own a 7 day set of custom made, personally monogrammed pipes? Is that even a reasonable thing to own? And all this before I finished my first cup of coffee this morning lol.

Why worry about it? Lol. All my shirttail relatives originated in SC and GA. When I would go back to FL to visit my Mom and I would give my name they always assumed I was Rick Tuten, an NFL place kicker for the Seattle Seahawks as well as several other teams. Guess I could have taken advantage of it but I never did.
Only time it upset me was when I saw my name on the Viet Nam wall. Saw it and immediately thought they had messed up my records as my name is not common. Did some research and found out we had same first and last names, but he was Richard Marion Tuten, and I am Richard Eugene. Rather ironic as we were both there in 69. I made it home but he didn't. One more thing to be grateful for.

Rather ironic as we were both there in 69. I made it home but he didn't. One more thing to be grateful for.
I was there from 7/11/68 to 9/26/69. You must have quite young during that "tour". I am also very grateful for making it home, but know that I left a piece of my soul in Tam Hiep, Bien Hoa province.

Joined up after one semester of college after HS. March 67. Still 18. Went over in Sept. 19 then. Did 2 tours. Got home late Nov of 69. Yes, I think we all left part of our souls there.

So, he sells them through instagram and I think Facebook. Having done some research, his work has gotten high praise from many. Prices range from under $200 to $300 on the high end. My wife put me on his waiting list as an Xmas gift for a basic lovat

Yo Jev - the other Everett is part of the Chesapeake Pipe Club, which ZOOMs on Thursday nights. I got one of his beautiful pipes at Richmond CORPS after hearing from the members how great they are. He goes by cramptholomew (or somesuch) on Pipe Smokers Den. He's into vintage tobaccos.

hp
les

My wife said he told her that he’d love to to make a pipe by j Everett for j Everett haha. Personally monogrammed pipe