smoke shack????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtaster

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
have never done business with this e-tailer and didn't see any reference to them in the bob "bbb" forum
they appear to stock an item i can't find elsewhere (arango pipe cleaning spray); this item has apparently been discontinued because the contract manufacturer of the spray for arango went out of business and arango can't seem to find another supplier.
apparently smoke shack may still has some in its inventory.
before i hit the "buy" button i was hoping one of the brothers might have had some experience with this seller and can share an opinion with me.
thanks, jr/john

Personally, I prefer a bristle pipe cleaner and pure grain alcohol to give the insides of a pipe a thorough cleaning. The Arango stuff is pressurized and bubbles up like a hot Coke when it's sprayed in a pipe shank making it hard to control and keep off the outside pipe finish. It'll ruin the outside finish too. Fortunately I used it on one of my yard pipes first and then put the can away for good.

To answer your question...I'm not aware of The Smoke Shack.

Jim...my ha'pence if that

[font="]I assume you mean Lil Brown Smoke Shack. I’ve done business with them many times always with great results.[/font]

Yeah, I second Ol'Dawg's opinion. The Arango Pipe Spray is kind of a pain. Leaves a weird smell and taste behind, as well.
I would skip it.

HEY !

Pipe cleaners (bristle or not) and alcohol are NOT the right way to clean the airway in the stummel.

Get a short, consecutive run of drill bits up to and including the largest i.d. you're dealing with, and a tap wrench handle.

With the stummel dried out after smoking, start with an undersize bit, going only a short distance at a time & withdrawing it to clear the flutes of the gunk it's cutting out. Don't force it -- drill bits are snappable.

Work your way up to the original i.d., a little at a time. When you're done, you'll have clean walls and more gunky, crusty crap removed than you'd ever get with alcohol. Which would only dissolve it & soak it further into the briar.

This is the SOP of LL (Precision Pipe Repair & Restoration).

You're welcome :D

:face:

Yak":w7wj72rw said:
HEY !

Pipe cleaners (bristle or not) and alcohol are NOT the right way to clean the airway in the stummel.

Get a short, consecutive run of drill bits up to and including the largest i.d. you're dealing with, and a tap wrench handle.

With the stummel dried out after smoking, start with an undersize bit, going only a short distance at a time & withdrawing it to clear the flutes of the gunk it's cutting out. Don't force it -- drill bits are snappable.

Work your way up to the original i.d., a little at a time. When you're done, you'll have clean walls and more gunky, crusty crap removed than you'd ever get with alcohol. Which would only dissolve it & soak it further into the briar.

Just so we are on the same page, the drill bits are used by hand, not while attached to a drill. I just had a mental image of a newbie boring out his dad's old dunhills at a few hundred rpms because of a short lapse in judgement. Just so we can have a disclaimer here.

jefe1037":2q00rs5o said:
Yak":2q00rs5o said:
HEY !

Just so we are on the same page, the drill bits are used by hand, not while attached to a drill. I just had a mental image of a newbie boring out his dad's old dunhills at a few hundred rpms because of a short lapse in judgement. Just so we can have a disclaimer here.
Good clarification. My dad's old Dunhills were perilously close to a short lapse of judgement!