Smokers Forum Closing Down

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Dave

Reaction score
Just read on SF that it will be closing down at some unstated time in the future. I know some members here also post there. Interesting as it has been around a long time.

Tennessee Dave":4aq603jq said:
Just read on SF that it will be closing down at some unstated time in the future. I know some members here also post there. Interesting as it has been around a long time.

Do you have a link for where you read that? I am looking but not seeing.

Carlos":lf83a072 said:
Tennessee Dave":lf83a072 said:

Do you have a link for where you read that? I am looking but not seeing.

Found it!

I tried to join that forum, but never got the approval from the moderator who allegedly was out of town or out of the country or some other bs.

A friend of mine that claimed to be buddies with him allegedly contacted him and got my membership approved though I never recieved any kind of email about it nor was ever able to log in.

I can tell you from dealing with tech what they are going to say, " it probably went into your spam box" which I check daily since it absorbs more non-spam than spam.

I know many members here recommended that I join as there apparently is alot of tobacciana discussion there; I didn't have the heart to tell them that I have tried and failed.

The reason I didn't see it sooner is, my start page over there is the recent threads. I was missing seeing it because of the activity.

I understand Ron's position. He has made a decision and due to his generous nature, he is giving notice. Now is the time for the fellows to look around for another forum, and there are several. Or take the opportunity for someone else to step up and create a new home. That's not always as easy as it seems.

I wish them all the best. :)

I alway liked SF, although I'm generally a lurker. The only thing they have that BoB doesn't is the Actualarial Data. I have to find another source I guess.

All forums have their difficulties with Spam, Bots, and potential members getting registered. I got an email a while back from one of the pipe makers about a fellow trying to register and not having any luck. We got his account set up. But I don't think he has ever logged in. I tried emailing and no answer there either. Sometimes I wonder just what happened, and why he's never shown up.

That's a bummer. I don't think I've ever posted there but it was a good source of information. Did they give a reason?

It appears the owner got tired of dealing with folks who had bad attitudes-he even mentioned getting death threats. :pale: earl

If that surprises y'all, maybe we should take a moment to think of the great people we have here. I haven't received death threats myself, only death wishes.

But, if someone can wish you dead, it's only a small jump to wanting to kill you.

Not yet! :lol:

I did make some folks mighty upset with me though that's why I handed it over to Dock... He's connected so he had the muscle to protect him. :lol:

(Disclaimer: I have no proof to support or detract from my claim that Dock is connected.)

Actually everyone has been very cool, just interfered with some friendships and that I didn't like.

Sometimes you get stuck between two friends in an endless argument, you can't make them both happy. Anything personally towards me has been pretty easily resolved with either talking or time.

Well that just sucks! SF was a great place! It will be sorely missed....

I posted this over there a few mins ago...

It's a real blow to be sure! SF has been a staple for so long. It seems almost surreal to think that it will be gone. It's just a bummer plain and simple! I will of course invite all of the members here to particiapate on my own forum, the Brothers of Briar where they will be welcomed with open arms. We're a much smaller group of course but what we lack in numbers we make up for in an abundance of good knowledgeable folks. If you haven't checked us out please feel free to do so...

Tell em' Dock sent ya' http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/

I actually joined BOB before SF, but the more frequent posting on SF has led me to spend more time there than here. (The people here are just as wonderful as they are there. SF simply has more people posting regularly). I've mostly lurked here, but I must admit that my first thought on hearing about SF was, "Well, at least BOB is still going strong."

I've visited a number of pipe forums, and while all have something going for them, BOB and SF are the only ones I've found that have a sense of community strong enough that the atmosphere is more like a gathering of long-term friends than a bunch of semi-anonymous postings in cyberspace. Forums like that are rare, and while we can mourn SF's passing*, we should also be glad that there are still congenial forums like this one around.

*Probable passing. No one over there is giving up, and there may yet be some way to keep it going.

earl":zfgewqtb said:
It appears the owner got tired of dealing with folks who had bad attitudes-he even mentioned getting death threats. :pale: earl
Ron has/had a way of being way to sensitive to differing opinions or statement that
didn't reflect his proper British outlook.

I got banned there for just mentioning that a review of the rules would be helpful to a
newbie. Yes, there were a few scuffles with Ron or fireclown being really sensitive but
nothing that would warrant banning. Must've been a British thing. :confused:

I missed the place but it's still sad that Ron can't (won't ?) sell the site to someone else
to run. But then again if it were to be run as Ron et.al. ran it it's better that it will be......
gone. :mrgreen:

Buck":fn4c6io9 said:
earl":fn4c6io9 said:
Ron has/had a way of being way to sensitive to differing opinions or statement that
didn't reflect his proper British outlook.

I missed the place but it's still sad that Ron can't (won't ?) sell the site to someone else
to run. :mrgreen:
I'm not sure how running a forum works, but if it's his forum, then it's his forum to run or in this case close. I feel for the people that called that place home.

One thing about a group of people, whether online or RL, is that there will always be a *drut or two. What makes some places more appealing and successful than others is minimizing these druts. In this case, these people may have been in the background instead of out in the open for all too see like other forums, especially if he was receiving death threats.

*read it backwards....

Number 6":g4wpxl6l said:
I actually joined BOB before SF, but the more frequent posting on SF has led me to spend more time there than here. (The people here are just as wonderful as they are there. SF simply has more people posting regularly). I've mostly lurked here, but I must admit that my first thought on hearing about SF was, "Well, at least BOB is still going strong."

I've visited a number of pipe forums, and while all have something going for them, BOB and SF are the only ones I've found that have a sense of community strong enough that the atmosphere is more like a gathering of long-term friends than a bunch of semi-anonymous postings in cyberspace. Forums like that are rare, and while we can mourn SF's passing*, we should also be glad that there are still congenial forums like this one around.

*Probable passing. No one over there is giving up, and there may yet be some way to keep it going.
My sentiments as well. I also joined BOB prior to discovering SF and tended to hang around there more due to greater activity. But both of these forums are fine places-the only 2 I like. earl

Number 6":q7m8to7k said:

I agree sorry to see it go and hope they can keep it going but this will give me a chance to spread out a bit to discover new places and meet new pipe smokers