Smoker's Haven Exotique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
Last week, I received a very generous sample of Exotique from Hiram-2011 (Thank you Shane!), and I thought I would do a "review". Well, actually two reviews: a short one for those who already like London Mixture, or other Oriental blends, and another, longer one for the heck of it, because if you're not already in the former group, you need to get with it! If you're in the third group (those that ignore all my reviews) this won't matter a bit... 8)
Okay, the short review:
If you like London Mixture, get some of this stuff! You will like it, and you'll probably love it, I know I do! I can almost guarantee your enjoyment.
Longer review:
I have to say that I've been curious about this blend for some time. I remember S.Ireland mentioning that it was his favorite English/Oriental mix, and he does have pretty discerning tastes, and being that he is mostly a VA smoker, if he liked the stuff, I had to imagine it was pretty good. However, unavailability and laziness conspired to keep me from trying it out, until Shane so kindly sent me a large ziplock baggy to sample, which was another good indicator, as he and I seem to share like tastes in tobacco and pipes. The baggy sat near my pipe tray for several days before I had time to really give it a good smoke, and the aroma every time I passed by was extremely tempting.
It comes in a rather thin ribbon cut, not unlike Pembroke, but maybe a hair thicker. The moisture content was near perfect, so only a short drying spell was necessary. As already mentioned, the smell is captivating. Just inhaling through an unlit but already packed pipe, I had a strong feeling that this was going to be a nice experience. The thin cut made lighting, and keeping it lit , very easy. Not a hassle at all. The flavor, you ask? Superb! In the same neighborhood as London Mixture but more refined. A rich, but gently subtle tasting Oriental. Forest loam? Corinthian leather? Pickled herring notes? I wouldn't know. Compared directly to Exotique, London Mixture is stronger, and a little spicier. My sinuses have been acting up pretty badly in the last few days, and I almost held off trying the sample until I had better olfactory dynamics, but ultimately, the temptation was too great, and now I can only imagine what this blend will taste like when my nose opens up a bit.
The pipes used for review purposes were a 2004 Ashton LX cherrywood, and a 2003 Dunhill Shell Briar HT XL Collector. Twinnings Earl Grey on the side.
Thank you again Shane!

Well done, Shane! Enjoy, Chris! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pickled herring? Rich mahogony? Bacon? Frontbottom? What's not to like!? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Oh geez, not frontbottom again... :fpalm: :lol:

Good review. The short review was too long though, didn't read... got about to "If you like..." then trailed off...

...kidding.

Shane's still around, that's good to know--he's been more than generous with yours truly, so...I'll use this thread as a mooching platform... "Hey Shane, feel like sending me a pinch of this stuff?" (I'm direct.) 8)

Sounds like my kind of stuff.

First things first. Harlock, that is a damned fine impressive Dunhill!! :D

I tried Exotique a long time ago in a sampler from Smokershaven. Must have been 7 or 8 years ago. I know for a fact I didn't yet have the palate to appreciate it then. I do remember it having that signature Germain smell and tatse (And So To Bed) and being somewhat spicy. Smokershaven has s couple of similar blends, would be worth trying again. I still haven't tried the newest rendition of London Mixture either....

Damned enablers! :lol:

Nice review Chris, you put it into words alot better then I can. Glad you liked it!

I forgot to add something, thanks PeeD...

...that Cherrywood has me beggin' for buttermilk. 'Lock posts not only the tobacco review and pictures, but pictures of the pipes used. Class act, right there. :cheers:

Really glad to read this review. I think our tastes in tobacco are quite similar as well. I just picked up a tin from the Chicago show. Smoker's Haven was giving out really nice canvas bags, but I didn't want to get something for nothing. I really wanted to try this one, so figured "why not". Sadly I don't have any vessels to quite compare with those stunners you employed, but hoping for similar results nonetheless.

Thanks for the review Chris! This is one blend I have been curious about, and considering adding to the cellar. 8)

Shane,
You are right on IMO. My favorite Oriental forward blend was always Dunhill's London Mixture until years ago I experienced Smoker's Havens Exotique. Made by J. F. Germain it is the epitome of an Oriental Blend. And after years of cellaring it only gets better if you can believe that. And smoking it in a fine English Briar as you do only enhances the experience. Thanks for the review and photos of the great pipes you have.

I picked up a few older tins at the show, including one 8 oz. that's probably five years old.

And yes, it still is my favorite oriental blend!

It's been a while since I sent out care packages... Might have to bomb some of y'all here pretty soon *coughKYLEcoughcough*

Better than getting hit cheap and dirty. Though you come to enjoy anything you can get when you live in the sticks. :lol:

Don't go overboard, Shane, just a pinch will do. Rob has me drowning in Smoker's Pride as it is.

Puff Daddy":5chssjdl said:
First things first. Harlock, that is a damned fine impressive Dunhill!! :D

Damned enablers!
Thanks!
I actually nabbed that one for a great price a couple of years ago.
It was one of those eBay auctions that flew under the radar, and closed
at a weird time, like a Wednesday afternoon, if I remember correctly.