Smoking a bowl of tobacco left over from yesterday

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corncobcon":u884m0l7 said:
Last night I put my pipe down and forgot about it until today.  Rather than empty the bowl, I lit it up.  It wasn't all that bad!  You guys ever do anything like that?
All the time.

Been doin it for 50 years now. Some call it DGT, delayed gratification technique :twisted: :twisted:

I've done it plenty of times, but I do everything in my power to not let it happen. I can't say it has ever been awful, but by the same token, I can't say it has ever been a good experience either. It was me being frugal. Period.

Yup. Can be good, can be fantastic, can be awful. Depends on the 'baccy, how much you smoked of it the first time, moisture content, etc.

Normally my DGT isn't overnight, more like a couple or more hrs. I find this can be a plus. Most of the time anyway.

YMMV as always.

Cheers,

RR

A little DGT. I do it all the time. Sometimes it is great, other times it's just okay. Every now and then it's nasty and needs to be dumped. :evil:

I've done it plenty of times. It's a crap shoot, a sort of Russian roulette, if you will..... :lol!:

I'm probably the worst offender here. I will find a half smoked bowl that could be weeks or even a month old and I'll smoke it. It usually isn't a bad smoke when I do that but I do have to watch my cadence as the tobacco is usually crispy dry. A few smokes have been exceptional doing it and has pushed me to dry my tobaccos much more than I used to.

Jim

huffelpuff":zucmeh9m said:
I'm probably the worst offender here. I will find a half smoked bowl that could be weeks or even a month old and I'll smoke it. It usually isn't a bad smoke when I do that but I do have to watch my cadence as the tobacco is usually crispy dry. A few smokes have been exceptional doing it and has pushed me to dry my tobaccos much more than I used to.

Jim
I'm with you on this one!

Whenever I find a pipe with some forgotten baccy left inside it, I will try smoking it instead of just discarding it.

Most of the times it tastes bad but sometimes it's OK.

What I often do is to load a fresh, clean pipe at night. Put flame to the baccy until it's properly lit but without actually smoking the pipe. I then leave the pipe like that without tamping. Next morning it will be my first smoke for the day. You go try that and tell me what you think.....best nic hit you will ever experience :cheers:

Yeah, I've done it on occasion. Usually due to my smoking session being interrupted for some reason. I just lay the pipe aside (typically no more than 24 hours); then throw out the ash, reload with a small amount of fresh 'baccy and light'er up! up! Works for me :cheers: FTRPLT

Well, since Sherlock Holmes' first pipe of the day was made up of the remains and dottles of the previous day's pipes which had been collected and dried on the mantelpiece, I reckon smoking the rest of a bowl left over from the day before can't be all bad :lol: !

Supposedly, in 1947Admiral Byrd went back into an Antarctic hut he'd left 12 years before and found one of his old pipes filled with tobacco. He is said to have picked it up and lit it, puffed on it and said "that's a good smoke!" or something like that.

Me, I smoke it all in one sitting.

SpeedyPete said:
huffelpuff":1amuv8t3 said:
I
What I often do is to load a fresh, clean pipe at night. Put flame to the baccy until it's properly lit but without actually smoking the pipe. I then leave the pipe like that without tamping.  Next morning it will be my first smoke for the day.  You go try that and tell me what you think.....best nic hit you will ever experience :cheers:
ee

Yo Spee
One of my buds puffs only VAs, and he has a number of blends he will just char light, put and not get to serious smoking for a day or days. The DGT blends that work best for me are light Virginias. Too much Perique or Latakia tend to be less successful.

hp
les