Smoking attire

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgoldberg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an outdoor pipe smoker. During the winter when I started smoking a pipe, I always went outside wearing a jacket that could take some abuse. Wondering what other people here do when they smoke outside, or even indoors, to cover themselves, if anything.

Does anybody actually wear an old fashioned smoking jacket, LOL.

Yup…Smoking Jacket fer sure:

3D45D171-E3F6-4E19-99CF-7B56D9437393.jpeg

I'm an outdoor pipe smoker. During the winter when I started smoking a pipe, I always went outside wearing a jacket that could take some abuse. Wondering what other people here do when they smoke outside, or even indoors, to cover themselves, if anything.

I wear a smoking jacket when the mood strikes me, made in England of silk and purchased from Cable Car Clothiers, San Francisco's English goods store on or near Union Square.

Don't really wear an old fashioned smoking jacket, but do wear a red Patagonia quarter zip fleece if it's cool enough, or a long sleeve T or jersey I can discard afterwards if it's too warm. So I do sort of go with the idea behind a smoking jacket as much as possible.

I wear a Goodwill 99 cent old wool sweater, and if really cold an Icelandic wool jacket under the sweater. The sweater can get burn holes and I don't care as it's cheap. I figure one function of the old smoking jacket was to keep the smoke smell off the rest of your clothes.

I don't have a real smoking jacket. When I smoke, I usually wear jeans or thick cotton Carhartt pants and old all-cotton T-shirts or sweatshirts. I learned the hard way not to wear synthetic fabrics because they get burn holes very easily. The cotton jeans and shirts are more resistant to burn holes.

An old style Woolrich wool cruiser, and I used to wear an old OD green M-65 field jacket. I like big pockets, and both of those have them. I'd love to find an old hacking tweed, but the ones I like are always hundreds of dollars. I look at thrift stores and garage sales when I go, which isn't often anymore, but I've never found one to my liking. When I used to take day hikes, I had a beat up, patched Carhartt canvas zip up (can't remember what the actual model is called right now, but it has a name).

I live in Pennsylvania so our weather changes with the seasons, when it's hot I just wear a tee shirt but when it's chilly out or even when I have the air conditioner on full blast my apartment gets nice and cold so I wear a beat up flannel light jacket when I smoke my pipe.