Smoking attire

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often wear a true smoking jacket, anytime we're under 65°, thin navy wool body, trimmed in sik maroon with silk maroon lapels and belt tie, I purchased 25 or 30 years ago from Cable Car Clothiers, Robert Kirk, Ltd., "San Francisco's British Goods Store." It's wonderful.

I'm an outdoor pipe smoker. During the winter when I started smoking a pipe, I always went outside wearing a jacket that could take some abuse. Wondering what other people here do when they smoke outside, or even indoors, to cover themselves, if anything.

Does anybody actually wear an old fashioned smoking jacket, LOL.
See my post below re: smoking jacket.

Back in the day when I smoked in the house I found a pattern for what some folks would call a bathrobe or just a robe. But this one was nearly ankle length, fully belted with big shawl lapels - I figured Mr. Holmes might have worn one something like it lounging around 221B. Mom was still around then and I had her make it up for me in a wonderful heavy wool fabric with just a hint of a plaid. Big side pockets of course. I had a wonderful pair of slippers then; old school like my dad used to wear, not the hard sole moccasins that're offered today. Ah; my robe and slippers and my pipe. When that robe finally fell to bits it broke my heart...