Smoking Doldrums

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
It happens from time to time, I suppose. I'm stuck in one of those pipe-smoking funks where nothing really tastes that great, even the blends I know I know and love, the thought of smoking a pipe is always better than the experience itself, and the whole thing has become completely unsatisfying.

As I've done in the past, I made a point to give all my pipes a nice thorough cleaning...maybe dirty pipes have deadened the experience? Nope. Still blah.

I've cracked the seal on tins of blends that I haven't had in a while...maybe I just need a break from the usual. Nope. Still blah.

I've tried sliding into blends very different than my usual - a Lakeland, a heavily cased aro, a burley..maybe I just needed to really shock myself out of a massive Va/VaPer/Lat rut? Nope. Still blah.

I've tried complete abstinence for a week or so, not smoking, practicing the same meticulous oral care I that usually do, staying hydrated. Maybe it's one of those bio-chemical things that just need some time to turn around. Nope. Still blah.

I've tried spending a bit more time reading reviews, back issues of magazines, lurking on the forums. Maybe I just needed to find a new spark? Ok, well that was a long shot, considering its not my interest in pipe smoking that's gone limp, its the actual practice...but still. Blah.

I dunno...maybe its the winter that seems longer than usual,, maybe its the uptick in the everyday work and home stress (nothing major...just more of the usual "stuff" than normal), or maybe it's just "one of those things," but I'm definitely stuck in the smoking doldrums at the moment. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's run into this, am I? Assuming not, anyone know how to break the funk, or is this one of those "time heals all wounds" deals?

No biggie...it'll turn around soon enough, I'm sure. I just thought I'd whine and moan for a bit.

This is common. There's a wiki link somewhere that talks about the process of deteriorating effects. Essentially, our bodies get used to things like nicotine, caffeine tastes and so on. I'm experiencing this now in my late 30's where I can't seem to get my food spicy enough. This phenomenon deems that we always need more to reach the same. There is a cap we reach where we can longer experience the effects at all. You unfortunately have reached that point it seems.

The only thing to do is to send me all your pipes and tobacco  :p 

On a serious note...I would have thought the week off would have brought it back. I can't imagine it will last forever, but hopefully it will come back soon brother.

I chewed tobacco for 25 years and find that picking up a bag of chewing tobacco tells my taste buds that I prefer a pipe!

It is a good way to bring back the joy of the pipe, imo.

Get yourself some Carter Hall and have a few bowls of that, it's a nice easy going fairly bland smoke, it'll help settle your palate a little then your usual blends should shine through again.  :sunny: 

Let's blame it on the winter. Let's blame everything on the winter, then take the winter out back and beat it to death with sticks.

George Kaplan":rap7v3wn said:
Let's blame it on the winter. Let's blame everything on the winter, then take the winter out back and beat it to death with sticks.
Behold, the face of evil:
snow-miser.jpg

George Kaplan":h7qhz6tz said:
I agree it must be Winter's fault.  :D 

I've been taking a medication since Jan that has altered my ability to taste Latakia pretty much at all. Initially, all the blends even Balkan Sasieni were just steamy junk. I've been sticking to VAs & VaPers (not a bad thing) and more recently returned to cigars, but it definitely sucks not being able to enjoy things. I think I'll try again tonight to see if it's finally returned after a month.

I've also dropped down to smoking only on Sundays @ our local pipe club B&M due to schedule and more discipline. Things just ain't what they used to be... :roll: But at least I really enjoy smoking now when the weekend rolls around.

Hope your tastes "recover" or adapt somehow, idbowman.

George Kaplan":54vx86wd said:
I'm with you brother :p

This phenomenon is why I alternate my pipe smoking with cigar binges. Been doing it for decades now, but the pipe is definitely my preference for a host of reasons.

I would recommend having your vitamin D levels tested and/or supplement your vitamin D3 intake. Vitamin D deficiency has been associated with depression (e.g. seasonal affective disorder) and our bodies need sunlight to make vitamin D. As the winter wears on and you may be experiencing a deficiency. One symptom of depression is anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable).

I'm not offering an official diagnosis of course, but it's something I would recommend you check into. Having your doctor check your vitamin D levels might reveal an answer to this issue and supplementing vitamin D could be a fairly easy solution.

I have had this happen on a smaller scale. I tend by nature to tend toward medium/mild regular smokes, and if they start tasting flat I will mix it up with something more on the flavor bomb end of things. Orientals help for me anyway. That will jump start things and provide a subtle ghost for future enjoyment. I find that congestion in the winter messes with my sense of taste, and so I think that is an element of it for me.

I go through a "funk" at least once/yr where nothing tastes of much pipe-wise. Seems to last a week or two and the time of year doesn't seem to factor in for me.

I found rinsing with Biotene helped a lot.

Cheers,

RR

Usually that happens to me when spring gets here and the humidity in the ham shack/basement shoots up. Takes a while for things to settle down.

Pipes & tobaccos are both female. If you chase them, they play hard to get.

Let them chase you. You expend way less effort that way, and experience much better results.  :D 

:face:

well I had something really great to put in here but Yak said it so perfect I fear anything I try to say will end up sounding completely childish.
(totally kidding of course I going to put my two cents in)

I have found that when I can no longer taste any kind of my favorite tobaccos from any pipe I usually go and buy some cigars and have fun with those for awhile. this seems to really help.

also I have tried the whole carter hall trick and I can say that has also really helped me at times.

biotene works for me but sometimes it has this lingering effect of making everything I eat taste funny.

buying a crazy new tin I have never tired before (usually a tobacco I would never buy) sometimes awakens my palate

but Yak has truly said it best.

and of course I cast my vote in favor of blaming winter

George Kaplan":rmnr7fxk said:
By the end of February, I'm definitely sick of smoking in my workshop. It starts to feel like a prison this time of the year. When the temps drop to single digits, even my insulated shop with a space heater isn't exactly cozy. I definitely find myself smoking less and seeking out the occasional lounge on work trips to enjoy a pipe. Come on Spring!

I go through this from time to time and just ignore it, usually the old taste buds come back shortly and I can really enjoy the blends that have always been my favorites. I don't know if diet has anything to do with it but, I have noticed if the old woman starts on a binge with some different cooking for awhile my pipe taste changes a bit also. I usually only eat one meal a day so I think it has more affect maybe on me then someone that eats 3 squares a day.  :scratch:

Oh! and to add to what Riff said, I know there's a difference in smoking outside to smoking inside. The times I've smoked inside was not as enjoyable as the times spent outside.
So, you'll always see me smoking my pipe outside, even in freezing weather unless the winds blowing too hard. Must be something to do with inhaling the exhaled smoke that gets trapped in the shop that spoils it for me. :scratch: 

I'll give a +1 on vitamin D and winter.
A blood test will tell you if it's low.
A deficiency relates to the blahs, low energy levels. Lack of interest in normally enjoyable activities.