Smoking in the snow

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Reading Brunellos post from yesterday got me thinking. How many of us will brave snow, rain, wind or cold to indulge our habit? Wife doesn't like me to smoke in the house and I really enjoy relaxing on the patio with a pipe especially early in the morning. It's very calming and relaxing. Thus I find ways to cope with the vagaries of weather herr in the mountains. A propane heater and heated throw help stave off the cold but blowing snow and wind present a challenge. But I often forge ahead anyway puffing away while watching the rain fall or bracing against 25 mph winds that threaten to blow the ash tray off the table. Any others that put up with this kind of weather to enjoy your piping?

Even though I went to a lot of effort to set up my workshop for smoking (that's a whole separate thread from about a year ago) I just don't enjoy sitting in there when I could be outside. There are some conditions like extreme cold or drizzle where I just won't risk having a good pipe in the elements (that's what cobs and beaters are for) but I'll tolerate some chill or minor breeze. As I've gotten older I also don't ever smoke outside if it's over 85 degrees, no pipe, no cigar, nothing. I do occasionally have a pipe in the truck as I go into town once a week, that's about fifteen minutes each way - much easier to do temperature control in the cab of the truck than the workshop. I was resistant to that idea at first but I think it was Fr _Tom who convinced me to give that a try.

I will say this though, when I visited my old friend in California last year we both had pipes going in his house with the patio door open, and what a treat that was! Alas, wife won't tolerate that, so I just enjoy the great outdoors!

Been snowing, windy, rainy and cold here in Indiana the past couple of weeks so smoke outside next to a fire when I can and not helping with the Granddaughter. Otherwise I've been smoking in the camper.

Even though I went to a lot of effort to set up my workshop for smoking (that's a whole separate thread from about a year ago) I just don't enjoy sitting in there when I could be outside. There are some conditions like extreme cold or drizzle where I just won't risk having a good pipe in the elements (that's what cobs and beaters are for) but I'll tolerate some chill or minor breeze. As I've gotten older I also don't ever smoke outside if it's over 85 degrees, no pipe, no cigar, nothing. I do occasionally have a pipe in the truck as I go into town once a week, that's about fifteen minutes each way - much easier to do temperature control in the cab of the truck than the workshop. I was resistant to that idea at first but I think it was Fr _Tom who convinced me to give that a try.

I will say this though, when I visited my old friend in California last year we both had pipes going in his house with the patio door open, and what a treat that was! Alas, wife won't tolerate that, so I just enjoy the great outdoors!
Guess it depends on what part of CA you were in, but one thing I loved about living in Oxnard was that the weather was almost perfect 95% of the time. I had a 12' gazebo and a huge 10' umbrella over a super comfy chaise lounge. I could sit outside under the umbrella and smoke any time night or day in any weather.

I prefer smoking on the patio (no indoors smoking here) and I would rather smoke in nice weather. That said, I'm good down to around 40 degrees if it is not too windy for my propane fire pit to help out. Rain is fairly rare and snow tends to be accompanied by high winds. Wind can be a problem here on the high plains. My back yard is fairly protected so the wind has to be above 20 mph before it becomes troublesome. We have low humidity which helps with hot weather smoking. I'm good up to 100 degrees if I can get some shade, but I do prefer it cooler. Extreme weather calls for the mobile smoking lounge. One of these days I may get my yard shed in condition to use as a smoking lounge, but that requires parting with a lot of stuff.

I prefer smoking on the patio (no indoors smoking here) and I would rather smoke in nice weather. That said, I'm good down to around 40 degrees if it is not too windy for my propane fire pit to help out. Rain is fairly rare and snow tends to be accompanied by high winds. Wind can be a problem here on the high plains. My back yard is fairly protected so the wind has to be above 20 mph before it becomes troublesome. We have low humidity which helps with hot weather smoking. I'm good up to 100 degrees if I can get some shade, but I do prefer it cooler. Extreme weather calls for the mobile smoking lounge. One of these days I may get my yard shed in condition to use as a smoking lounge, but that requires parting with a lot of stuff.
What, pray tell, is a mobile smoking lounge?? Maybe a revamped 69 chevy van, with shag carpet, lol??