Smoking MacBaren Mixture: Scottish Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I very recently added a tin of MacBaren Mixture: Scottish Blend to my larder.  Before ordering I read over many, many reviews to try and get a handle on it.  My only concern is perhaps the most frequently mentioned issue...the mandatory slow smoking cadence to both bring out the best flavor profile and avoid a promised blistering tongue bite.

I also read quite a number of comments indicating that the following things can help avoid the tongue bite thing.

1. You have to pack it “right”.  OK - I’m game...but the correct way to pack it is never spelled out except for one or two mentions of the Frank method. Hmmm. Any actual experience with a loading technique that results in a reduced likelihood of bite?

2. Smoking it in a Cob was mentioned a fair number of times as being an effective bite prevention measure.  Is this true?  It sounds so easy.

Aside from the bite thing...I read in several sources comments recommending that one should dedicate a Briar to Mixture in order to get the best out of it. Comments?

Lastly...Many blends are known to do their best in one or more specific bowl shapes...bowl geometry.  Any thoughts on this issue?

The Scottish Mixture is a long standing classic with the highest reputation. It is pretty universally adored, or at least appreciated. I’d just like to maximize my odds of having the best possible experience. Yeah, I know it’s selfish but that’s just the way I am. ;)

Blackhorse":nhhec36d said:
I very recently added a tin of MacBaren Mixture: Scottish Blend to my larder.  Before ordering I read over many, many reviews to try and get a handle on it.  My only concern is perhaps the most frequently mentioned issue...the mandatory slow smoking cadence to both bring out the best flavor profile and avoid a promised blistering tongue bite.

I also read quite a number of comments indicating that the following things can help avoid the tongue bite thing.

1. You have to pack it “right”.  OK - I’m game...but the correct way to pack it is never spelled out except for one or two mentions of the Frank method. Hmmm. Any actual experience with a loading technique that results in a reduced likelihood of bite?

2. Smoking it in a Cob was mentioned a fair number of times as being an effective bite prevention measure.  Is this true?  It sounds so easy.

Aside from the bite thing...I read in several sources comments recommending that one should dedicate a Briar to Mixture in order to get the best out of it. Comments?

Lastly...Many blends are known to do their best in one or more specific bowl shapes...bowl geometry.  Any thoughts on this issue?

The Scottish Mixture is a long standing classic with the highest reputation. It is pretty universally adored, or at least appreciated. I’d just like to maximize my odds of having the best possible experience. Yeah, I know it’s selfish but that’s just the way I am. ;)
My answer is going to be a little boring and predictable.

I load it like anything else. If it is something from a tin, I will put some in my palm and codger scoop from there. If it is in a bag/pouch, I codger scoop from the bag/pouch. If it is a flake, I rub it out and codger scoop from my hand.

I claim everything smokes better in a pot. That is all I have with the geometry.

The flavor is good and I found it easy to smoke slowly. Sometimes I overpuff to try to suck some flavor out, and that was not a problem here. It did not burn hot for me.

Well...problem number one...I have zero pot shaped pipes.  I never have done well with them. So a different approach is in order.

I wonder - do they make a pot shaped cob?

What I DO want to lay my greedy mitts on is one of these.  Looks like a fine smoker for twenty five bucks.

I've got one of those cobs. The chamber is larger than I prefer but its a great smoker nonetheless.

Blackhorse":p1ai19t2 said:
Well...problem number one...I have zero pot shaped pipes.  I never have done well with them. So a different approach is in order.
I say just use a pipe that delivers for you.

Having said that I don't want to discourage you from getting another cob.

Blackhorse":hc12nwyf said:
What I DO want to lay my greedy mitts on is one of these.  Looks like a fine smoker for twenty five bucks.

I have 7 of them. They're the only corncobs that work for me after innumerable attempts with others.
I highly recommend them.

As for the Mac Baren bite it's a matter, once the tin is open, to wait it out some before smoking it. Or wait a few years before opening one.
A fresh tin of Plum Cake I had opened some years back yielded a horrible result. The next one had over two years of age and was just fine.
I think the issue has to do with the moisturizing agent they use for their tobaccos. So, over time, it seems to dissipate.

I have had no issues with MacBaren Scottish Mixture. It was one of my first tobaccos and I revisit it as an old friend periodically.

My 2 cents is not to overthink it. If it's wet out of the tin, dry it a bit, but otherwise, pack it and smoke it in whatever you want. Relax and enjoy!

FWIW, I tend towards simple billiard shapes and they've worked fine for my purposes.

Davy Jones":9d20dz0o said:

Thanks all y’all for the input. Very much appreciated.

Davy - yeah, I saw them on the MM site recently too. That’s what got me going on them again. They seem pretty ideal as a walk around pipe...super lightweight, nicely bent stem that should hang well, stem made of a quality material, nice bowl shape and capacity...what’s not to like! Along with the Natural and Cobbit designs this could be the best MM ever.

QUESTION: All you guys...is the stem transparent/translucent the way it appears in the photo? The straight version looks like the stem is roughly the same color but opaque.

At this point I’m waiting for the budget reset on the first of the month.

Either that or I’ve got 5+ year old tins of Jacknife Plug and/or Triple Play I’d trade for a new one. Any takers?

Oops! I should be doing this over on the Trading Post. I’ll do a post over there. :oops:

Blackhorse":js0wnmen said:
Davy Jones":js0wnmen said:

Thanks all y’all for the input. Very much appreciated.

Davy - yeah, I saw them on the MM site recently too. That’s what got me going on them again. They seem pretty ideal as a walk around pipe...super lightweight, nicely bent stem that should hang well, stem made of a quality material, nice bowl shape and capacity...what’s not to like! Along with the Natural and Cobbit designs this could be the best MM ever.

QUESTION: All you guys...is the stem transparent/translucent the way it appears in the photo?  The straight version looks like the stem is roughly the same color but opaque.

At this point I’m waiting for the budget reset on the first of the month.

Either that or I’ve got 5+ year old tins of Jacknife Plug and/or Triple Play I’d trade for a new one. Any takers?

Oops! I should be doing this over on the Trading Post.  I’ll do a post over there. :oops:
Yes, the stem is translucent. And they weight around 55g on average, if that's lightweight for you. ;)
When I ordered mine, I specified I wanted a proper boring of the tobacco chamber as well as the shank being properly aligned in the tobacco chamber.
MM gracefully obliged and I received impeccable pipes. :D

Davy Jones wrote: “When I ordered mine, I specified I wanted a proper boring of the tobacco chamber as well as the shank being properly aligned in the tobacco chamber.MM gracefully obliged and I received impeccable pipes.”

OK - first of the month, reset my meager fun budget. Ordered one of these and actually copied and pasted your above comment into the order comments box.

Drumming fingers now .

Blackhorse":0x5k4wkt said:
Davy Jones wrote: “When I ordered mine, I specified I wanted a proper boring of the tobacco chamber as well as the shank being properly aligned in the tobacco chamber.MM gracefully obliged and I received impeccable pipes.”

OK - first of the month, reset my meager fun budget. Ordered one of these and actually copied and pasted your above comment into the order comments box.

Drumming fingers now .

I read somewhere that Mixture Scottish Blend is a top-seller world over. So I’m thinking it doesn’t need special treatment. I smoke it usually in my “all comers” pipes. I use a “three bears” packing technique. (Not too loose, not to tight.) Briar or cob work fine. The chamber size of cobs should accommodate the ever popular Scottish blend just fine. But this is a great reason to by the new pipe, so why not go for it? :cheers:

So I tried the Scottish Blend.  No troubles.  Used a new MM Legend. Worked well. No issues.

PS:  ordered the new MM pictured above. M$30 delivered.  Looking forward to it.

World’s best selling blend? Maybe. Consider how long it’s been out there! Like 4ever.