Smoking Outdoors in Hot Weather

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT/VSG

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Since I started smoking pipes this winter, I've not had recent experience smoking outside in hot weather. It was in the 90s here in Ohio over the weekend. I sat in the shade with a pipe that normally smokes cool but got a hot smoke this time. I assume that is because the briar picks up the ambient air temperature to some extent, especially when it is very hot. Plus, I assume that drawing hot outside air into the pipe heats up the process. Am I correct?

There are many factors to take into consideration here, what kind of Tobacco? Is the pipe dry? are you a fast puffer? I find that here in Tampa, i must puff s-l-o-w. i also find that a really clean pipe helps. i smoke vapers and red virginys and sometimes depending on the humidity i will get a hot smoke regardless.

Yeah, here in the South we get heat and high humidity... To me the humidity seems the bigger issue. I think it kind of gums things up a bit. Of course, at least living here I can smoke almost all year long, whereas when I was in NY I used to almost go cold turkey from Nov-Mar.

-Andrew

There sure are some advantages to living in the desert. I am about 225 SE of Phoenix and about 15 degrees cooler but the humidity is less also. Normal here is 10 to 20 %. It sure doesn't take long to dry tobacco out and its a lot easier on these old bones :cyclops: :cheers: :sunny: :sunny:

Were you smoking Walnut by any chance?We could clear this up right away.

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Winslow

Here in Arizona (Phoenix area) where it is known to get a little warm every once in awhile :lol: I tend to stay away from heavy Latakia blends and smoke some of the lighter or straight burley blends. This is the time of year where you really need to make sure that you smoke slow so you don't make your mouth feel like your out in the middle of the desert :darklord: .

I was smoking Squadron Leader. The humidity was high and I am a fairly steady puffer. It sounds like slower puffing and maybe smoking a flake wil help.

Winslow":sknha3m1 said:
Were you smoking Walnut by any chance?We could clear this up right away.

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Winslow
Had he been smoking Walnut there would have been no issues and this thread would not even exist!

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

CPT/VSG":oej0vdcm said:
I was smoking Squadron Leader. The humidity was high and I am a fairly steady puffer. It sounds like slower puffing and maybe smoking a flake wil help.
I'm going to throw in my $.02 and suggest the humidity was the major player here. More moisture = more steam = hotter smoke, especially if you're huffing on it heavy.