Smoking outside in a Maine winter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Went out for my first pipe and dark and strong mug of black coffee at 3:45, it was -5f not counting the windchill, it was a quick smoke. By sunrise it dropped to -10f so no after breakfast smoke. I went out to get the fixings to make the Maine winter bearable, beans for baking, dogs to go with them for mutha and I got what I needed for a hunters venison stew. While the stew was making itself into that beautiful warm your heart goodness I saw the highest temp of the day 5f with little wind. Packed the MM Twain with the Creamsicle Swirl Forever Stem with some 7 y/o Escudo. I forgot the temperature for about 20 minutes when it started snowing I then packed up the pipe and went and tended the stew. That smoke, the stew and a glass of Reisling were the highlight of the day, keep it smokey.
banjo

24512740607_b1e2fbe8d6_z_d.jpg

Cold weather smoking is usually quick for me, even in the barn. Cobs don't care though!

Good to see you Banjo!

:cheers:

My hat (and gloves) are off to you Banjo. Being here in Michigan, I have not enjoyed my daily pipe in two days now. I'm up (even farther North) at the lakehouse for some New Year's ice fishing and brought a couple of pipes and some flakes to try. I sure hope that I get that chance!

Sounds like brutally cold weather to be out in, much less to enjoy a pipe. I also find that smoking lowers the body temp. You're a braver man than me Mr. Banjo!

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

So I'm not the only one outside smoking in weather like that. I do have to take shelter in the shed because of the wind though. 20-35mph is just too hard on the pipes. Some blends really seem to come alive in the cold though! Great to see you keeping it smoky though Banjo!

Best wishes for the new year
Jim

Central CT report — five of the next nine day are forecast to be sunny, but the highs get above 20 (barely) only three times and lows are below zero five times. Not much snow is forecast, though. The local news in the next town reports that a dog was found frozen solid on somebody’s porch. The in-laws up Nawth reported temps of -20 F. They opined it warn’t too awful when the wind stopped. They said it warn’t so cold that the cat wanted to come in the house from the barn. Nota Bene — lungs with age and mileage on them do not process cold air well at all. This is why old guys are found frozen solid in the driveway with a snow shovel in their hands. They feel fine right up until the moment they don’t. Stay inside unless the house is on fire.

Not to gloat, but I guess there are some advantages to the Southern California winters. I almost had to put closed toed shoes on today...Not really...flipflops were just fine :D

BriarBeagle":wslq6z8d said:
Not to gloat, but I guess there are some advantages to the Southern California winters.  I almost had to put closed toed shoes on today...Not really...flipflops were just fine :D
Lucky you!  After reading the early pots, I guess I can't complain too much about weather of between 16-31 f. . . . But that's just too cold for this neck of the woods! Good thing I have 6 cobs!

Here in the "middle of the mitten" we've had a break from the winter.  This morning it was above ZERO for the first time in a couple of days.  Yesterday it almost made it to 20. Hang in there! I had a smoke outside last week.

Why in all heavens sake would one smoke OUTSIDE in THAT kind of weather ? Stay inside where it's nice and cozy and warm !! I've had 3 wives and ALL of them accepted that I was smoking inside since I paid ALL the bills !! Now that I live the singular life I smoke in any room I want in MY house !! Smoking outside in that kind of weather is stupid. JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":j95293jm said:
Why in all heavens sake would one smoke OUTSIDE in THAT kind of weather ? Stay inside where it's nice and cozy and warm !! I've had 3 wives and ALL of them accepted that I was smoking inside since I paid ALL the bills !! Now that I live the singular life I smoke in any room I want in MY house !! Smoking outside in that kind of weather is stupid. JMHO  :twisted: :twisted:
Yuppers!

Cheers,

RR

I feel ya. PRAISE THE LORD my gorgeous, smart, funny, kind (she likes to read my posts at times) wife has a HUGE heart and let’s me sit by the door for my evening pipe. I do like to backpack/trek in this weather but that involves a lot of gear I don’t want to put on just for a pipe. This year I’m hoping to take my hammock setup into the negatives in this Michigan weather. A pipe right before bed with some brandy usually keeps ya stay warm when your hanging between two trees in the snow! Stay warm Banjo!
Zach

Stinger4me":0tvlzsyo said:
Here in the "middle of the mitten" we've had a break from the winter.  This morning it was above ZERO for the first time in a couple of days.  Yesterday it almost made it to 20.  Hang in there!  I had a smoke outside last week.
GOOD LORD!
Where were you sitten, in the Mitten, where you weren’t blasted with Snow like the rest of us!!! I had to use a shovel... to find my shovel this morning!!!!

Zach

Outside of Mt. Pleasant, we got snow but not that much. Mostly we are getting cold temperatures. At one time I worked in Baldwin and we could watch 1"/hour falling. Perhaps there might be 6" of snow on the ground.

Ah,
I’m near the lake shore.
“Lake effect” sounds pretty until you gotta deal with it. I had a fun time getting my 3/4 ton truck into my flat driveway today. Enjoy Brother.
Zach