Smoking through the Samuel Gawith catalog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mejoshee

Reaction score
I have no affiliation with SG, but I do enjoy FVF, so with that motivation alone, I thought I'd try something different that (I think) hasn't been done by a single reviewer. I was recently inspired to smoke through the majority of the current SG portfolio! Hopefully not over-ambitious? :shock: 

I intend to crack new or try recently opened, minimally handled tins of each blend and make notes. To the extent that I can find current production blends and not pay an arm and a leg for the tins, I thought this would be helpful for my own understanding of the brand and the way to smoke tobaccos of different formats (plug, rope, flake, etc.) and blend types.

Of course, I intend to post write-ups on each blend to the best of my ability without too much fluff. This would be for the edification of others throughout the process. Being an "inspector" personality type, I like to look things objectively and gather data (via others' experiences usually for tobaccos), so I thought I'd return the favor. Reading tobaccoreviews.com is sometimes helpful, but also leaves little room for context for the smoker/reviewer to speak about his/her experience. I think it will help the curiosity of other pipers in the same positive way that has driven me in my piping adventures.

If such a thing is possible in pipe tobacco land, I will try to share my observations as uncolored as possible. I see different blends as different pigments of paint or flavors of ice cream that we each as pipers find appealing to our own tastes; no "right" or "wrong" blend but what is according to your taste and your decision. As a relatively new piper, I think I have an open mind to all this stuff (Lakeland bias/hatred and all!), BUT, I'm not a perfect observer, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. And I will try to note whether the blend was/wasn't to my liking and for what reason. I want to be as unambiguous as possible, so if you have questions about what I say, please comment or PM me and I can update with more details.

There is no timeframe/schedule/roadmap in which I plan to do this, but I will likely have 3-4 tins of each going at some point (and figure out what to do with the less preferred ones later). I hope you can be patient with the process.

There are really no rules, but I figure I should try at least a couple different methods of prep for each blend and perhaps pipe shapes. I will probably stick to certain format & pipe shape match-ups such as flakes in pots/bulldogs/Rhodesians, but there is still a lot of room for non-scientific latitude. Unfortunately this means that the experience will not exactly be duplicable, but such is the way of things on a finite budget (i.e. not dozens of identical pipes).

I am not explicitly asking for any assistance unless I really cannot find a supposedly available blend online. However, you are welcome to PM me if you'd like to help cause you bros (and sisters) all are so helpful!

Thanks in advance for your support! :cheers:

I'll try to keep the list updated here with a date stamp, hopefully following whenever I smoke something. They are placed in alphabetical order, not priority.

Updated: 4/29/2015

Tried:
1792 Flake
Balkan Flake
Black XX
Black Forest
Fire Dance Flake
Full Virginia Flake
Golden Glow
Kendal Cream Deluxe Flake
Navy Flake
Scottish Autumn
Spring Time Flake
Squadron Leader
St. James Flake
St. James Plug

Acquired & in the queue:
Best Brown Flake
Commonwealth
Full Virginia Plug
Grousemoor
Skiff Mixture

Need to get:
Brown No. 4 Kendal Twist ("brown rope")
Celtic Talisman
Chocolate Flake
English Summer
Jubilee
Kendal Plug
Limited Edition
Medium Virginia Flake
Perfection
Special
Winter Time

I've enjoyed most tobaccos so far, blends commonly found as ribbon, flake and somewhere in between. I've smoked cigars before and have a relatively high nic tolerance, but I don't like feeling knocked on my @$$. I tend to favor Italian-made pipes, but have a varied collection that includes Danish and English makes as well as those from our own Brian (Growley) and Scottie (scotties22). Being young in my piping, I also consider myself open minded to other makers, but I am certainly identifying my personal aesthetic for the pipes and my comfort level of expenditure on them.

I enjoy VA and English blends, but there's room for aros and I have not had everything under the sun. I don't claim to be an expert in understanding the subtler differences between types of VAs or Orientals. I don't tend to like burley, but I need to continue trying it to really make 100% certain why and whether or not it's simply imaginary.

My approach will be more of that of a wine/spirits taster in that I will discuss the physical appearance and smell, then follow with the flavor impressions. I am not intending to get into the technical construction or the presentation of the tobacco per se, but I may comment on it if it seems interesting to me.

I talk a lot! :p

Good on you sir! I look forward to coming along for the (virtual) ride.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you! Wish you the best of luck with this project and can't wait to see how it goes.

Jim

I'll certainly be looking for your updates! I've enjoyed a number of SG blends (1792 is currently in the rotation), and Squadron Leader is one of my favorites. I look forward to reading yours

Skiff Mixture is one that I really enjoy. It's just a really nice smooth Balkan. FVF is great, but I like BBF even better (just don't tell the hoarders). :lol:  I rather enjoyed Firedance Flake as well, but then again I really dig traditional scented English weed.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Before you get too far in you might consider smoking a different line of tobaccos that are more readily available? Just a thought.

Sam's Flake is my favorite in the SG lineup, even over FVF. Goooooooood stuff!

I have been smoking a small stash of FVF, and it is really good. Jesse sent me so BBF with the bulldog he made me and it is waiting in line. I will be interested to read your observations.

4noggins.com_Mike":0jtw8xl1 said:
Before you get too far in you might consider smoking a different line of tobaccos that are more readily available? Just a thought.
I suppose, if one is young enough and smokes many times a day, you could work your way through the C&D line. . . .

Mejoshee, let us know if you get stuck for some, we might be able to supply a few bowls worth

Smoking through the Astleys catalog might be another good one. You pick something like John Middleton, and you are stuck with Apple and Cherry. I have smoked two of the four Ira Stone blends (if blenders count). Maybe I need a complete set?

Very excellent idea!

I'm kinda doing this with Dunhill. I know they have a new blender etc but I have no point of reference for the older versions. With such a small offering, you would think there would be careful consideration as to not overlap a blend making it worth seeing what each one is all about.  J. F. Germain & Son and Esoterica are others I want to run through. Samuel Gawith's catalog is still small enough where you shouldn't be too old before you've completed the journey. :)

I look forward to your posts!

You guys, you guys. First I need to smoke through one blend, let alone the whole catalog. I can't be thinking of what C&D or Astley or McC or (insert big name blender here). One step at a time.

Now, I think I have an idea of what first couple blends to start with. I think I may also add a little educational twist to these, who knows? Course, all the old fellers may already know these things, but it's cool to me to find out.

4noggins.com_Mike":i7cnoxd0 said:
Mike, I appreciate your concern, but I'm not worrying about getting every last blend, at least not yet. I'll just start with what is most readily available and if I hit a wall, I'll probably just need to start pounding pavement...

[edit]Sorry, that sounded dismissive. I am concerned as well in the sense that things might discontinue in the middle of the journey or certain etailers go in and out of stock, but this is I think the beauty of being flexible: I'm not trying to buy the same, favorite blend that is just never in stock or what have you (esp. not like Esoterica stuff). I'm just looking to go from one tin to the next as availability allows. If I have to wait, well, I'll wait. :| There's other 'baccy in the world to smoke until then and may be good to take a break fro exclusively SG stuff.

mejoshee, yeeeeah... we're going to need you to have that C&D catalog smoked and reviewed by the end of the month... yeeeeah. You may need to work on Saturday. Yeeeeeah. And we need those TPS reports. :)

The story about the journey to acquire all the Esoterica offerings would probably read like a Hunter S. Thompson book.

Hereward":mm4n8y8k said:
The story about the journey to acquire all the Esoterica offerings would probably read like a Hunter S. Thompson book.
More like the Hangover pts 1-3. Oy... :no: 

Hereward":7z50rgwz said:
mejoshee, yeeeeah... we're going to need you to have that C&D catalog smoked and reviewed by the end of the month... yeeeeah. You may need to work on Saturday. Yeeeeeah. And we need those TPS reports. :)
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: