Smoking through the Samuel Gawith catalog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You want fear and loathing? Wait til he gets to Grousemoor :twisted: 

From what I've read, I should be stocking up on some cobs :affraid:

Thanks for all the encouraging remarks ;)

And with a cob, you could label it with a sharpie on the shank to keep it consistent.

My first review! Ok, it's a little bit beating that horse, but I wanted to start with familiar territory.

I want to preface by saying I've had FVF already (if you've never read any of my other posts) and that I had some waiting to be finished off from a previous, but insignificantly aged tin, but, I did open a new one to get the fresh tin note described below and with intention of revisiting smoking in a couple other ways. For future blends, I'll start from an unopened tin.

I'm going to follow roughly the tobaccoreviews.com format, so I'll put the description in from the site and then go on with my review after the "Packaging".

Tin Description: Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake is for lovers of pure pressed Virginias. Created in the heart of Lakeland, the hot-pressed blended Virginias take on a delicious and distinctive dark colour that creates a pipe smokers dream, a feeling of calm, serenity and anticipation of the next pipeful. A "must have" for all Virginia lovers. Medium strength.
Country of Origin: UK
Curing Group: Flue Cured
Contents: Virginia
Cut: Flake
Packaging: 50g Tin

Pipe: Radice Rind straight Rhodesian

Tin note: raisins, dried figs, preserved plums, tea, and hay. There is something tangy about it, but it's not very forward.

Appearance/texture: Tan through mahogany through darker chocolate brown. Has a leathery feel to it and is somewhat flimsy. It stiffens up considerably when you dry it, fading to a lighter, grayer version of itself.

Packing: As I said, I had some already available. Many online (and I) discourage you from smoking it straight out of the tin due to moisture content. Time didn't permit me to smoke it this week actually, so I had left the flake broken and drying out coincidentally. I loaded it vertically as "sticks" and triangles, with the leftovers crumbled on top. When it's this dry, it doesn't really lend itself to fold & stuff as it just crumbles, though maybe you could rub it out.

First third: charring light is quite easy when it's dry. I get hay/grassy notes, but not really much of the fig & raisin hinted at the tin, probably due to my drying process. Right now it's not quite as smooth but it's certainly hinting at the caramelizing sugars when you smack. There's also a bit of a citrusy note, but it's nondescript to me. People talk about Lakeland perfume, but I really don't know if that's what any of this is. I understood it to be floral and weird, but I don't get that in this blend.

Middle third: smoking well now. Smooth and dry. It's becoming a bit more savory/smoky and toasty marshmallow and caramel are coming to the forefront. The hay element sort of ebbs and flows. I'm trying to smoke it slow so as not to overheat the tobacco, which can cause bitterness for me. It's fairly robust, but slow sipping shouldn't cause you to gag or keel over.

Final third: Still more on the savory side, but resolving to a good marriage of sweet and savory. The smoky element is more of a light leathery note, but not powerful like a Latakia. It's a nutty sort of smoke, if that makes any sense. Some dried fruit is coming back in and the hay riding through.

Summarily, I would align my rating exactly with the tobaccoreviews.com characteristics:
Strength: Medium
Flavoring: Extremely Mild
Taste: Medium to Full
Room Note: Pleasant to Tolerable
Recommendation: Highly Recommended

While it's not particularly complex or overly rich, this blend is nonetheless solid quality tobacco, worth the very popular ratings it gets as an institution unto itself. It's what I'd call an "honest" tobacco and finesse player as far as genuine tobacco flavor. It's not trying to hide behind toppings or the smoke of Latakia or something like that. It smokes well throughout and I routinely expect to get nothing but gray/white ash when I'm done.

Is it an everyday/all day smoke? No, I think it's not quite easy going as far as nicotine content, but it's not overwhelming either. I can smoke it on an empty stomach, but perhaps your tolerance is lower. I think it's also best to temper with the fact that I'm trying a completely unaged iteration, so it could become mind-blowing with age and hopefully more accessible. There's enough of it to go around that you could find it if you wanted to, but I wouldn't pay over the available etailer price for tins or bulk boxes.

That said, this is probably still my favorite tobacco. I think the bottom line is that you need to be aware of its quirks (moisture, packing/lighting) and that proper prep and technique will result in a rewarding experience. :cheers:

Here's a follow up to the FVF experience. This time, I rubbed it out fully.

Pipe: Piersel smooth straight billiard ("Leia" :p)

Tin note: (same as before)

Appearance/texture: (same as before)

Packing: I left the flake out to dry, but instead of letting it get crispy, I rubbed it out when it started to become inflexible. I let it dry another hour or so as crumbs. I simply gravity fed it into the billiard, pretty much no downward pressure except to keep it from springing back up too much.

First third: charring light is easy once again.  It's a bit smoother when lit this way. This time around, there is more of the fig/raisin note that I didn't get when just using the sticks, though still the familiar toasted hay. There is a sort of oatmeal cookie/bread dough baking aroma that is really pleasant. The brown sugar & caramel notes are more present when smacking.

Middle third: hay, toasty marshmallow and caramel, as well as roasted coffee and dark chocolate are in the exhale and palate. The hay is not as prevalent as before. I let the tobacco go out a couple times doing other things, but it's easy to jump back in and seems to be much more forgiving when relighting. I felt like I could smoke it faster both because of the fineness of the rub and how it burns as well as the smoother draw than the flakier form. In any event, it's clearly a different and more relaxed experience than before. I would say I enjoy the flavors here more than the last time as they're more accessible.

Final third: contrary to the last review, the blend does not become savory here. It's is a richer, coffee and chocolate that is present, but it doesn't get smoky like charcuterie. There is the leathery note and still the hay, but it constantly resolves back to the sweeter toasty elements.

I may change my rating to something more like:
Strength: Mild to Medium
Flavoring: Extremely Mild
Taste: Medium
Room Note: Pleasant to Tolerable
Recommendation: Highly Recommended

Still quality tobacco and a little more interesting experienced in this way. Again, it smokes well and thoroughly down to gray/white ash.

The nicotine effect was actually diminished. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the pipe or my smoking approach here (doubtfully much different). I didn't thing this would be affected, but it was actually nice that I didn't have to worry about pacing my smoke by anything other than the temperature of the burn.

I'd say if you are intimidated by the flake prep and more robust nature of this tobacco, you should still be able to enjoy it and even smoother by rubbing it out. Just be careful as before to make proper concession for the moisture content.

Just tried some of the 1792 flake, but I think I need to try it one more time before I review. Too much aro residue in my MM cob. At least I know what expect now... :drunken: 

It's not bad, I like it, but it's not like something I've really tried before.

I remember having preferred bracken flake to 1792 when I smoked the sg's more regularly. I've become more of a gh&co dark flake scented fan now so I haven't smoked them recently. I am sitting on a tin of bracken flake though so when you get to it I'd be happy to split it right down the middle with you if it helps cost or availability wise. Let me know.

juanmedusa":kqqcsgdc said:
I remember having preferred bracken flake to 1792 when I smoked the sg's more regularly. I've become more of a gh&co dark flake scented fan now so I haven't smoked them recently. I am sitting on a tin of bracken flake though so when you get to it I'd be happy to split it right down the middle with you if it helps cost or availability wise. Let me know.
Yeah, I've read appealing things about DSF, so that's on the to-do list, though pushed much farther down with this "side" project. :p

I appreciate your offer! I don't have a timeline about what's going to be smoked next, though in the last order, FF, BBF, and SM will probably happen. So maybe we'll check back in a month or so, unless you're itching to open the tin too! :bounce:

I'm really flexible, so it could be the next thing. I love whisky and it's getting to the season that I'll consume it the most--not like I really track this. ;) I'm pretty positive about this entire process.

I got so much other baccy opened and so much queued up that it'll be sitting for awhile. Let me know anytime.

Back with another review, this time of the 1792 Flake!

Tonquin is an interesting flavoring. Reading up on it, it seems to come from a Central-South American tree that is locally called cumaru, from which we get coumarin. It was originally used as a vanilla substitute, but it also has its own character to it that makes it a little bit more elusive. Doubtless the whisky addition takes it into a new territory that is not as soft (or familiar) a true vanilla tends to be.

Tin Description: Full strength, mellow tobacco comprising a blend of dark-fired Tanzanian leaf. Made in England.
Country of Origin: UK
Curing Group: Fire Cured
Contents:
Kentucky
Virginia
Flavoring:
Whisky
Tonquin Bean

Blend Notes: This is a full strength, mellow tobacco comprising a blend of dark fired Tanzanian leaf. It is Gawith's best-selling premium grade flake. It starts as 7 lbs. of hand stripped leaf and goes through a steaming process prior to being pressed. The cake, having been prepared, is wrapped in a select leaf and packed by hand into a 12 inch square. This cake is pressed and left for a minimum of two hours. Then, the pressed cake is placed into a steam press where it is baked at full heat for two to three hours. The baked cake has then taken on 1792's characteristic rich, dark color. It's hardening occurs during cooling. Once the process of cutting the flake and adding a tonquin flavor is carried out, hand wrapping and packing finalizes 1792, making it ready for rubbing into your pipe. Also sold as Cob Flake in Europe.

Pipe: MM Diplomat pot

Tin note: Vanilla bean, wintergreen/mint, anise/licorice/fennel, juniper berry floral and vaguely musty in the herbal sense, but not quite medicinal.

Appearance/texture: Darker chocolate brown, with some lighter speckles. Similar in texture to FVF, fairly moist out of the tin, though a bit more stringy. Gray/brown when dried a bit.

Packing: Same as FVF, I discourage you from smoking it straight out of the tin due to moisture content. I picked 2 flakes that were somewhat frayed and left them to dry for a day. I folded it a little prior to leaving it out and it maintained a wadded feel, though was crumbly when I loaded it.

First third: charring light is somewhat easy, though not very quick. The vanilla & wintergreen come out right away. The Kentucky dark fired is quite robust, maybe even a little bit rough and raw to me, not quite bitey. It's very bold and potent in the nicotine department. Partly because of how I had to light it initially, I think the first little bit of it is strong in flavor and nicotine until you let it cool again. The perfume is all here and while not off-putting, it's quite different than the clean VA taste and aroma. I still can tell there is the familiar base VA hay notes, but its got a much bolder body. This blend is not sweet like FVF, but it's not savory either. I find it actually rather hard to describe beyond molasses and, well, minty herbs.

Middle third: I can see why some people would like this blend as it has become a bit creamy and much smoother. Keep it cool and it seems to just be the hints of the floral quality and mostly just caramel/brown sugar. It's completely dry as a smoke, but it's not drying. I had this following a meal and still found it to be a bit strong here with the nicotine. However, so far, no bite.

Final third: More of the same, seems to have turned rather nondescript. If it were possible to have started at this point after the perfume had gone away, I would actually not have found it all that interesting. It's got the molasses and richer chocolate/coffee tones, but it's not complex, mostly just robust. I sort of lost interest in this region. Smokes to a dry white ash.

My rating:
Strength: Medium to Full
Flavoring: Medium to Strong (initially)
Room Note: Tolerable
Recommendation: Recommended

This blend is built on what I can assume is quality tobacco, but I found the flavoring to be a weird match. Initially from descriptions, I thought I'd like it as not-quite-an-aromatic built with VA plus some oomph. But it's not really vanilla; if the blend is indeed tonquin + whisky, then I would say this combination is not even close to being a pleasant substitute for vanilla. I kept thinking as I sniffed the tin that this was more of the inside of an older woman's purse--some old wintergreen Lifesavers left over with hand lotion and maybe dirty coins. It's a poor description that doesn't really do it justice. Is it weird that I find it intriguing despite these sorts of scents?

I didn't feel compelled to dump it right away purely out of curiosity and did smoke until I was done with the bowl, but I don't really know what to make of it. I didn't reach for a stiff drink or palate cleanser, so I guess that means it's ok. However, I would not smoke this any wetter than bone dry nor would I try it on an empty stomach. I don't think I could smoke this on a regular basis because it's not as accessible as a straight VA and because of its combination of robustness and floral notes. I think this combination is why people malign the blend so much. It's just sort of odd.

I'm certainly willing to try again (in fact this was my 2nd try since I opened the tin the other day) just to further understand what I've gotten myself into. :scratch:I'll jar it up and try in a couple weeks, maybe even try rubbing or cube cutting it.

mejoshee, great reviews and thanks for taking the time to write them.

I am a fan of FVF and after a good deal of experimenting, I have found the best way for my tastes to smoke this blend. For me I cube cut it into very small cubes, dry it for an hour or 2 and smoke it in one of my group 4 Dublins. I now get a very consistent flavorful smoke using this method. I still have one more experiment with this blend which is to fold and stuff it into one of my group 4 Dublins. For some reason it is the only flake of mine that I have not tried the fold and stuff with. FVF is also my most finicky of the 28 flakes I cellar. I am a big fan of SG Best Brown and St James flakes and neither of those are as finicky. The other two I can smoke with success in a multitude of pipes, either cube cut to normal size or folded and stuffed.

My experience with 1792 was not a good one. I really disliked the tonquin bean flavors and am not a fan of the Lakeland essence. I also did not appreciate the fact that is ghosted the crap out of my pipe after only one bowl, it took forever to get that ghost out.

I think it is great you are going to go through the SG portfolio and look forward to more reviews from you.

It's been a while. What with a cold in November and a busy, busy holiday-packed December, it's high time to jump back in with a new review! St. James Flake!

Caveat: This review was based on some flakes given me by Jeb (somedumbjerk) to continue on my quest. I've tried this blend several times, but this would be my first holistic review of the experience. I kept needing to get more data, so to speak. That said, I cannot comment on the freshly opened tin note as of now, so I will try to present what I got out of the jar. I also can't comment on the moisture straight out of the tin, but I can say it had been jarred for a month or two prior to him giving it to me.

Tin Description: A sumptuous blend of Virginias and Perique, this big, bold British style flake incorporates a generous proportion of St. James Parish, LA perique.
Brand: Samuel Gawith
Blend Type: Virginia/Perique
Contents: Perique, Virginia
Flavoring : None

Pipe: Growley bent Rhodesian

Tin Note: (Jar note, really) Rather plain in the raisin/dried fruits area, much like the FVF tin note. However, it has something "extra" which has got to be the Perique, likely what takes it away from the hay realm towards the plummy/figgy side. It doesn't, to me, have grassy, bright character; it's got something darker, but a bit ineffable. There's a sort of roasted quality to it, much like a cup of Chinese oolong tea.

Appearance/texture: Like a darker version of FVF. More of the chocolatey-brown, not very many lighter flecks at all. Relatively moist, but not soggy or floppy like FVF. Granted, this may be due to the fact that these flakes are a thicker cut, so more jerky-like.

Packing: So far, only ever fully rubbed out. The flake is too thick I'm afraid to likely be as successful to light via fold & stuff. I didn't try it as little "sticks", though I think this would work too if sufficiently dried.

First third: When fully rubbed "fluffy" and quite dry, charring light is very easy. Right up front, there's the Perique: pepper & plum, raisins and a VA tang (not ketchup per se) that Id' expect from a combination that is supposedly just FVF + Perique. It's very smooth right off the bat, though in my experience overheating a VaPer will yield bitter results. Not initially strong with nic, so you sort of keep puffing on through this stage pretty easily. This blend is indeed sweet like FVF, though somewhat toned down and darker. I did notice here that the tea aroma translated to a tea-like flavor here, a light and somewhat airy richness that rides in the back of the fruit notes.

Middle third: Here is where I'd say air control and burn control really come into play. I'd tried the first time to smoke it like FVF, which is very honest tobacco of high quality, hiding behind nothing. However I found that run to be either too cooly smoked and therefore uninteresting, or too hot and therefore bitey with the Perique. Think of it much the same as drinking a cup of coffee and where there is a very short window where it is the perfect temperature for you to taste the flavors all at once. When in this zone, you will definitely be rewarded by proper attention to the burn, which I would say is the most finicky of any tobacco I've had so far, as a VaPer enthusiast. Here is where I taste and smell a delightful transition from the light dried fruit notes to a deeper, darker, more robust chocolate and pepper experience. There are strong notes of molasses cookie and (baking) spice bread, with a little savory smokiness thrown in. I find it simultaneously exotic and familiar because of this. The tobacco stays dry and "cool" (per your control) and doesn't rear it's Perique bite unless you let it.

Final third: The end starts to get even further darker, going back and forth between the sweeter baked goods tones and the smoked brisket/BBQ area. It's not savory, IMO, but it does definitely hint at that. Cocoa & coffee tones, not too overbearing to lose the VA sweetness unless it gets hot. It's the fullest here, but not more than a medium-full on an absolute scale. Smokes to a dry white/gray ash.

My rating:
Strength: Medium to Full
Flavoring: Medium
Room Note: Tolerable
Recommendation: Highly recommended

It's definitely more interesting than its cousin FVF, for those wanting to explore Perique. It's not overwhelmingly Perique-y, so that I find to be a good thing to not cover over the VA base. It's probably not for the lover of Escudo straight up, but it's certainly not non-existent. (That is, more than a pinch, but less than a wallop)  :p This is all highly subjective, of course, but I am still trying to wrap my mind around how similar and yet different it is from FVF (note how many times I compare). Is it excellent? Perhaps, in some moments, but maybe more likely simply very good.

I highly recommend it for those looking into other SG blends that want to generally avoid the Lakeland experience. It's still a very honest tobacco; I don't find myself doing cartwheels of joy over the Perique, but I'm certainly glad it's there. I like the darker notes (which I can't tell is coming from the VA themselves or not) especially as it makes it seem like a little more robust over FVF, but without a kick in the teeth, tongue, gut, or what have you. It's certainly got backbone; it may be described as "bold" but I think more accurately it is a slightly restrained "solidity". It has a strong tobacco foundation, but it isn't ponderous in depth or richness.

I'd really like to continue to write up more on this, perhaps once I open a fresh new tin in the near future.