Smoking while driving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I, for the first time smoked my pipe while driving home from work yesterday. I noticed that I was much more calm and less adjitated than normal at all the stupid drivers. A pipe-full lasted my entire drive home (30 min.) with some to spare. I'm thinking this could be a good habit for me as I tend to speed and get irate at other drivers. I relit at stop lights so that wasnt an issue. I kept my window cracked open so anyone behind was benefitted with a wonderful fragrence. I think I'm on to something here. What to you guys think?

If I'm drivin' I'm smokin'.
Usually cigars.
I tell ya, people give you looks when yer
drivin' with yer knees while tamping/lighting a pipe. :lol:

I'm with Hermit, if I'm driving, I usually have a pipe in my mouth. I try to wait for lights and/or straight roads to tamp and relight. :D

I smoke my pipe while driveing, It is kinda relaxeing stuck in traffic, listen to some classic rock , love it. I just smoke pipe tobacco now, but in the 70s, well thats a different story.

Same here! some of the best smokes I have are while I am driving. I rarely have to relight so that is not an issue. I too have a long commute and it sure makes it a lot bearable, down right enjoyable actually!

i always smoke while driving, usually cigars but pipes occaisonally-i think i've finally perfected the one handed tamp-makes me a bit calmer too

Hermit":oz0ucxdd said:
Somebody has to come out with the handy fingertip-thimble-tamper. :lol:
I wouldn't laugh! That is a good idea!

I used to smoke when I was driving but since I have had so many surgeries and health issues, the Doctors wanted to be sure my wife does all of the driving and it is a must that I smoke when she is driving especially in the big cities to keep my nerves calm. You know what I mean.
Muleskinner

Hmmmm. I have a lot of time on my hands sometimes here. I'm gonna get working on that finger tip tamper!!!! MILLIONS$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is a great thread!

I just found out this week that I have to be in Norfolk for two days and it is just not far enough to justify a flight so I am going to get plenty of driving and smoking in this coming week.

Once I get back from Norfolk Tuesday night Jo and I are leaving for NY Wednesday morning but unfortunately we are driving her car and I don't smoke in her car. So, I won't be able to smoke until we first arrive at my uncle's in Jersey before heading on to NYC.

Hermit":17cc4zic said:
Somebody has to come out with the handy fingertip-thimble-tamper. :lol:
I use a roofing nail. I also flattend the sharp end of it.

Ahh, yes... smoking while driving. Just yesterday I enjoyed a tasty bowl of Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake while on my way to the local trout stream. Tamping/relighting is no problem when traveling backcountry roads in the mountains of Colorado. The fall colors were peaking, and I enjoyed a great smoke while contemplating which fly to start with. It was a grand day that was made more enjoyable by smoking a pipe and being that much more in the moment.

Trout Bum":3dwhhmyw said:
Ahh, yes... smoking while driving. Just yesterday I enjoyed a tasty bowl of Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake while on my way to the local trout stream. Tamping/relighting is no problem when traveling backcountry roads in the mountains of Colorado. The fall colors were peaking, and I enjoyed a great smoke while contemplating which fly to start with. It was a grand day that was made more enjoyable by smoking a pipe and being that much more in the moment.
Sounds like a great time!

45min to 1 hour each way to and from work driving with all the knuckleheads in southern California.
Without my pipe I would be like Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

It keeps me sane.

I can't smoke in the morning, due to the "teacher smells like smoke" issue. I will however say that smoking in a car is quite amazing. I do have a major concern. I noticed that when driving and smoking, my pipe burns so much hotter due to the wind/AC. I am a hot natured guy that needs a major breeze to keep me sane. I used to keep my sunroof open to remove smoke from the car, and keep the ac on low. Now I drive a truck with no sunroof.

If you're like me with this, here is my resolution: Crack the driverside window and roll down the passenger side window almost all the way. Keeps the breeze on me without burning the pipe too hot.

PS- I'd invest in fingertip tamp. It should be called the "fingertamp." hah.. or better yet, "finger-nail"

I have found a smoke while driving very pleasant. I am a Free Mason and have some longer drives in the evening on country roads to visit other Lodges. This time with the pipe and music is worth every mile.

It does take some practice to have a good smoke on the road. The one hand tamp and the light or re-light at a light can be tricky, but its nice to arrive happy and stinking of latakia.