Smokingpipes.com Prices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fitzy

Reaction score
Ok I posted this on another forum and I was curious if the responses here would be different. I appologize if this isn't the correct section to post it in.

I've been ordering from sp.com for a long time and always found their prices to be cheaper than other sites.

However lately I have found their pipes to be much more expensive than other reputable sites. Has anyone else experienced this?

I researched a ton of pipes and they are all coming up more on sp.com.

This is one example where they are about 23 to 25% more. Chacom Alpina Dublin shape 32.
sp.com $99.45.
p&c $76.80
cigars international $75

I looked up other brands as well. Specifically Peterson Spigot and Dunhill Bruyere. On all of those SP was more.

I also saw on 3 or 4 different Sav lines that SP was more with the exception of one or 2 of the bottom lines.

A couple things....

First, smokingpipes photographs each pipe individually, regardless of cost. That adds man-hours and therefore increases price. You should look at it as paying $10 extra to see the actual pipe you get rather than picking a similar one out of a catalog. Second, the competitor you listed, P&C, had comparable if not more expensive prices than sp until they were bought out by Cigars International. That company (which I love and hate) is the Wal Mart of cigars. Now that they are dipping into the pipe market, we can expect the same price slashing in factory pipes.

So if you were buying an $800 Dunhill you would be ok with paying that 25% fee?

Yes SP is the best as far as the information they provide on individual pipes. Am I willing to pay a little extra for that. yes. Am I willing to pay 25% more? no

Wow great point about P&C. That could explain the price difference. Although I have seen P&C's tobacco prices gone up but if their prices went down that could explain why I think SP's went up.

fitzy":p53cly9b said:
So if you were buying an $800 Dunhill you would be ok with paying that 25% fee?

Yes SP is the best as far as the information they provide on individual pipes. Am I willing to pay a little extra for that. yes. Am I willing to pay 25% more? no
Any man worried about money wouldn't buy an $800 Dunhill. To those that can afford it, 25% probably doesn't bother them.

Dunhill isn't a good example here as P&C has yet to update their Dunhill prices when the retroactively dictated to all their retailers to raise prices something akin to 30%. A group one Bruyere used to be $400 or so, now its $600. All happened about 3 months ago.

I consider it penny wise pound foolish and for 25% to be hefty service charge. 5% sure 10% ok. 25% is excessive.

Actually what I found to be the case is that the people with money are the cheapest. So I think maybe some would have a problem with that 25% service fee on a Dunhill.

And actually Dunhill is a perfect example. Take a look at the Dunhill Bruyere 4114. $780 on SP and $619 on P&C. That is 21%.

I'd rather buy from sp and know which pipe I'm getting. The markup on a Pete from SP is only 5% from the CI price. Worth it in my view. You have to look brand to brand.

I just looked up Dunhill Bruyere group 4 straight billiard (4103) on smokingpipes, Iwan Ries and Cupojoes. They are all exactly the same, $780.00.

As to the lower grade pipes, different retailers change their prices slightly at different times to move product, boost sales, etc. Some even own the rights and distributorship to certain brands and can offer cheaper deals. I think your assessment of the situation and pointing the finger at smokingpipes for price gouging is misguided and unfounded.

If I recall correctly, SP handles all of Savinelli's US distribution. Could be wrong.

Ocelot it depends on which Pete. The Spigots for example are a 23% price difference.

Also yes SP is the importer/distributor for Sav in the USA.

fitzy, I imagine you want us to buy from whoever has the best price. Lets just hope we receive what they have offered.

Would you not buy the best price when it comes to buying a television? car?

I would prefer to give my money to SP. It annoys the crap out of me that other retailers don't provide the same level of information on individual pipes.

It just also bothers me that SP is now that much more expensive. I'd be happy to pay 10% price difference for the information SP provides. I think 25% is excessive. I understand now that if Ocelot is correct that SP's prices haven't changed but others have that sheds a different light on it. If however SP has increased their prices due to the position they find themselves in the pipe market then I have a problem.

One last comment. If a retailer slashes 25% off certain pipes and another holds fast to the standard price, does that mean the retailer who isn't presently slashing prices is doing a disservice? Exactly how much of their product line should they lose money on? All of it? Smoking pipes has been a blessing to pipe enthusiasts for a long time now. For many of us they have been the best big retailer out there for bringing a great selection of products to us that we may not otherwise have access to, and they very often do it at unbeatable prices.

I support several on line retailers and don't begrudge them the profit they make on certain items, just as I hope they don't begrudge me when I take advantage of a sale that saves me a few dollars.

Definitely SP is the best etailer out there. What I was really trying to find out is if SP increased their prices 25% or if just other retailers like P&C dropped theirs.

In the case of P&C or other retailers dropping theirs I would pay the 25% difference to stick with SP. If it's the case of SP increasing their prices to take advantage of the pipe consumer due to their standing in the pipe market then I have a problem.

fitzy":omdaemgs said:
Definitely SP is the best etailer out there. What I was really trying to find out is if SP increased their prices 25% or if just other retailers like P&C dropped theirs.

In the case of P&C or other retailers dropping theirs I would pay the 25% difference to stick with SP. If it's the case of SP increasing their prices to take advantage of the pipe consumer due to their standing in the pipe market then I have a problem.
A little of column A, a little of column B, I suppose!  :D 

I do find that SP.com does have higher prices on not only there pipes but, tobacco too.
I don't purchase pipes and or tobacco from just one retailer. Being a poor cheap bastard I shop for the best buy when I can. As far as purchasing a new pipe from a catalog pic or a photo of the exact one I will receive, it really doesn't matter to me cause if it's not right it goes back in a heart beat. I certainly don't want to pay for a photo unless they wish to frame it and send it along with the pipe.
But, I do purchase items from them from time to time when I find them lower or they only one in town having what I want.

I might be wrong about this (and if I am, I'm costing myself money at times), but I don't think that SP is more expensive across the board on all items ...

fitzy":d470yr5v said:

Since I don't think any of us work for those e-tailers, how are we to know what the reasons for these price fluctuations. All these folks have phone numbers so why not give them a call and ASK THEM this question. Any answer given by anyone here would be an assumption and we all know the definition of the word assume   :twisted:   :twisted: