smokingpipes New Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
One of the things that sp does well is to provide a launching area for so many artisan pipe makers. Everytime I go there there are about three new names, and the work is always high-end. They have the capital to invest in buying pipes, and they present them with a mastery no other site has. It's exciting to browse their new pipes. I can always see something different and something worth the trip.

I've been watching Maignurs Knets work on sp and Quality Briar, and though his pipes don't ring quite true for me, it's still breathtaking, sculptural carving. It is said that he does takes on classical designs and Art Nouveau, which for me would be his shapes which are different than anything I could imagine. I think he puts even more effort into his designs than Rolando Negoita, but in the end I would be hard-pressed to say which are "better," even to my subjective criteria. If you go to Mr. Negoita's site you can see the time he spends drawing his shapes before executing them; I wonder if Mr. Knets does the same. Surely, given his elaborate designs, you would think he does every bit of the preparatory work that Mr. Negoita does.

Maignurs Knets' work is a bit fantastic but always captures my eye.

I never take the plunge, but I do like looking at the artisan pipes.  I enjoy variations on the classic shapes.  Todays email update from Neatpipes included this Sergey Ailarov.

13-sa6e.jpg

I agree that no one does a better job at promoting a new artisans work than SP. Their picture quality, descriptions of dimensions and the artisan themselves are second to none. I also like how they are now using video's to describe a pipe as before SP only Quality Briars used video to my knowledge. I love looking at all the different artisans who are on display at SP. Many are not my style such as Maignurs Knets, but I can totally appreciate the talent and work that he puts into making his creations. I am a more of the classic style collector so his work is totally out of the box for me, but there is no denying the fact he has some serious creative chops when it comes to making unique designs.

Rolando Negoita is another artisan whose style is not something I would buy but there is no denying his talent. For example, this pipe is just a little to far out there for me, but it sure is pretty.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rolando/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=115837