Smooth vs rusticated

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Soshae

Reaction score
I understand pipes with perfect grain get a smooth finish in order to show off the briar. That being said, when I look at a shelf of new pipes, I find myself falling for the dark rusticated finishes.

I look at a pipe with perfect grain and I have know I should be awestruck. I do own and like some smooth finish pipes but they are all dark in color. I guess the only light color pipes that I have purchased are cobs.

My kind of pipe is typically a billiard or lovat with a dark, rusticated finish. The one exception to this would have to be the superb canadian Growley posted this past year.

Let us rejoice, my friend, that there are people like you and me. If I can divide and expand your post a bit, I'll say I prefer sandblasts to rusticated pipes in the rough finish category. Lately I'm in a phase where I think they're hand candy when smoking rather than eye candy, and that makes them involving and fun.

Well pal, I have about half and half. (Not the Tobacco).
I find myself attracted to darker rusticated pipes, and darker smooth pipes. I have a Sav Hercules 510 Ex smooth, and a Sav Baronet Bruyere 510 Ex sandblasted. I love them both equally. I am honestly attracted to darker things regardless; Beer, Maduro/Oscuro cigars, women (My girlfriend's native). But I do have a Savinelli Straight Grain with a gorgeous grain and it's a bit lighter. I love em all really.
Zach

I love the look of smooth on my pipe stands. I love the feel of blasts and rusticated pipes.

I love both smooth and rusticated pipes. Love a light, shallow sandblast. Smooth pipes can be stunning,and I love the darker stains as well as the light/natural look. However, when I see a smooth pipe I think "I'm only going to drop it or put a ding in it somehow and that'll be a downer."

Whereas on my sandblasted pipes, sure I don't want to mistreat them, but it's not like a ding here and there will be anywhere near noticeable.

gravel":6hare1o0 said:
I love the look of smooth on my pipe stands. I love the feel of blasts and rusticated pipes.
I have to agree. Smooth in the eye, rusticated in the hand.

I have about a 50/50 split 'btwn blasted/smooth in my my collection. I'm not a fan of the "rusticated" look, prefer a true blast finish.

I really have no preference there. I like them all.

No, I'm from across the border. Italy. LOL
I have smooth, rusticated, blasted, etc. I love them all. There all great, just different in a good way.
As to your second question, I'm too much of a newb to answer that one.

made my first all rusticated pipe today, well I have been working on it for a few days but rusticated it today. Will stain it Saturday. It is a bit of a weird take on a blowfish and you will all most likely hate it, but hey, you didn't buy it :)

rev

I am just the opposite. There is just something about the perfection of a beautifully polished grain that calls to me. I even love the feel of glossy smooth finish in my hand. Soft like....well this is a PG site, but you get the idea.

rusticated and blasted. I have no use for smooth pipes outside of photos.

I'm a "whole-package" kind of guy. I consider all aspects of the pipe as they are. I've seen blasts, smooth and rusticated pipes I didn't like. Others that I found very charming for what they were/are. Hand-feel for me is part volume, part mass, and part texture, and can be satisfying in any form factor. *shrug*

8)

posted a pre stain picture of my first all rusticated pipe in the gallery if anyone is interested

rev

the rev":2mflp7ho said:
posted a pre stain picture of my first all rusticated pipe in the gallery if anyone is interested

rev
link? I'm not sure which, or where, gallery you mean.

the rev":wp0t9836 said:
made my first all rusticated pipe today, well I have been working on it for a few days but rusticated it today. Will stain it Saturday. It is a bit of a weird take on a blowfish and you will all most likely hate it, but hey, you didn't buy it :)

rev
I like the new avatar... is the rusticated pipe to contrast the smooth finish up top?

you talking about my head? ahahahha no this pipe is a commission. I wanted to only rusticate part of it, but there were too many flaws.

rev