SNOW ! ! !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After an evening and partial night of fine snow being blown sideways by a wind eager to knife the foolish storm walker in the neck…we have been left with only 3” on the flats. Roads are clear where vehicles are driving but very treacherous on side streets. Supposed to warm up for a partial thawing this afternoon…then a refreeze overnight. And again…and again…and again for 3 - 4 more days. So instead if snow which can provide pretty fair traction we’re left with a solid sheet of skating rink smooth ice. Very nasty driving situation. Pretty typical for a sneaky little storm like this one. Bitch, bitch, bitch
Yeah, it’s going to be rough out there. We can get to a main road relatively easy, but we have little need to. Without school and my wife and I taking the week off means we really have no place to go.

Tuesday morning: WooHooo! Another 3” blanket of the deadly white overnight. Total of 5” at this point. Forecast is for the existing mass to melt/settle an inch in the next few days during which we also get another 2 fronts with 1” - 4” more spread between tonight and Thursday night. So prior to New Years we’ll have maybe 6” - 8” on the ground and side streets.

The only folks happy about all this are the legion of TV weatherguys and gals. Currently we have just one TV channel that does local news from 4:30 am to 9 am. During storms like this they have two weather people and two traffic reporters.

Only good thing is that in the vast majority of situations that snow is followed closely by a wet front and the whole 6” or so can get rained off in just a day or two. But DURING that time the mix or snow and rain is EXTREMELY treacherous.

If you haven’t figured it out…snow in Portland is a BIG DEAL. If Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes then Portland in the city of 10,000 hills.

My buddy in Tacoma, WA said he got 8" and also said Seattle got 5". No doubt the area I used to live in before I retired which was in the Cascade foothills got twice that. I don't miss that one little bit!

Cheers,

RR

We have a very small chance of snow next week but have a better chance of tornados later in the week and this weekend

Snow just starting to come down. Predicted to last all night, 3 to 4". Didn't go out to blanket Cochise, I think he is smart enough to stay under cover.

Tuesday morning: WooHooo! Another 3” blanket of the deadly white overnight. Total of 5” at this point. Forecast is for the existing mass to melt/settle an inch in the next few days during which we also get another 2 fronts with 1” - 4” more spread between tonight and Thursday night. So prior to New Years we’ll have maybe 6” - 8” on the ground and side streets.

The only folks happy about all this are the legion of TV weatherguys and gals. Currently we have just one TV channel that does local news from 4:30 am to 9 am. During storms like this they have two weather people and two traffic reporters.

Only good thing is that in the vast majority of situations that snow is followed closely by a wet front and the whole 6” or so can get rained off in just a day or two. But DURING that time the mix or snow and rain is EXTREMELY treacherous.

If you haven’t figured it out…snow in Portland is a BIG DEAL. If Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes then Portland in the city of 10,000 hills.
And three snow plows.

Only another light skiff, maybe an inch. BH. I feel your pain. Our whole town is built on hills. Only reasonably flat part is the downtown around the square and that is only 2 or 3 blocks. Fortunately, we don't get that much snow and it usually melts off in a day. However last year we did get one big snow of 30". And we probably have 5 snow plows, lol.

Attachments

• 20210125_141837.jpg
    20210125_141837.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
Only another light skiff, maybe an inch. BH. I feel your pain. Our whole town is built on hills. Only reasonably flat part is the downtown around the square and that is only 2 or 3 blocks. Fortunately, we don't get that much snow and it usually melts off in a day. However last year we did get one big snow of 30". And we probably have 5 snow plows, lol.
Unrelated: my wife’s family uses the term “skiff” like this. I understood skiff to be a boat.

I now treat it like a unit of measurement.

“That’s just a skiff of snow.”
”Naw, that looks to be at least three skiff, three and a half tops.”

Unrelated: my wife’s family uses the term “skiff” like this. I understood skiff to be a boat.

I now treat it like a unit of measurement.

“That’s just a skiff of snow.”
”Naw, that looks to be at least three skiff, three and a half tops.”
You are correct Sir. A skiff is a small, shallow, flat bottom boat used for navigating shallow lakes or rivers. Not sure how or when it became associated with snow, but it refers to a shallow layer, with minimal or no drifting, i.e. a light coating. Maybe the shallow commonality.