So......................About These Corn Cob Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

For the last couple years, I have tried various Corn Cob pipes. Nothing but the legendary Missouri ones, of course; all the Chinese ones and others, woosh! Go away. I didn't even bother trying, 'cause I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid. That's for sure.
So. I have bought Gentlemen, Generals, Fifth Avenues, Danish, Washingtons, Tom Sawyers, Patriots. As I don't like filters, I smoked them without the filter. Whatever I did, however I smoked, whichever cadence I performed, it just smoked hot and, at times, harsh. Eventually, they all, without exception, developed an awful taste and aftertaste that not even a shot of good Ol' Irish whisky could make disappear.
Of course, at first, I suspected that maybe it was because I was not using filters. The air draft being at least 6mm wide, that creates extra moisture which will reflect on the taste and overall experience of the smoke.
Having assessed the potential problem, the solution I came up with was to move to non-filtered pipes. So I acquired a few Tom Sawyers and Patriots.
In the meanwhile, I did learn that even though Cobs are kind of a more resistant material, one was better to treat them as he would his briars. This would ensure a prolonged and pleasant life for his cobs and his smoking experiences.
Back to the Tom Sawyers and Patriots. After a while, despite my prudence towards my cobs, cleaning them regularly, passing the pipe cleaners, etc; inevitably they started to taste like crap once more. After assessing the situation (it's not the filters, they are non-filtered) I concluded it had to be the stain and plaster of paris that were applied.
My solution was to acquire Neked non-filtered pipes. I thus received home a pair of Neked Patriots. That was about six months ago. Today, I packed one of them with a mixture of Scaferlati Caporal and Amphora Black Cavendish, which does just fine in my briars. I was smoking in the car. The smoke just turned super dry, hot, harsh and, basically, trashed my tongue quickly. I emptied the bowl, packed my Stanwell Horn and ta da, all was great.
I had then to realize that, whatever I do, the Cobs just don't seem to work for me.
May I specify I am not a neophyte in this hobby?
I guess I will stick to my briars, from now on. And no more Corn Cobs for me. Ever. Good for those who enjoy them - they are a great bargain, after all, sadly- but we do not get along together, it seems.

Apparently not. I'd throw them away. I don't do a dang thing to mine except let 'em dry out once in a while. They always smoke sweeter than briars, to such an extent that I often use them for remedial purposes, like when my mouth is scorched from smoking too much and my palate has gone to hell. Once in a while they might get reamed, but other than that it seems pointless to try to clean something as porous as a corn cob. Different strokes, etc. They do best with burleys, in my opinion, so maybe you ain't a burley fancier? I just dunno.

I never really had the appreciation for cobs initially. They were cheap and sturdy. They typically delivered a "B" smoke for me. Other people seemed to have more luck with them. One day I realized that larger bowl diameters worked better for me in general. I modified four cobs by drilling out the chamber to 7/8 in. One Legend has pretty thin walls now but it does not smoke hot or seem inclined to fall apart. I have "Forever" stems on the modified pipes.

I struck gold. These pipes rock. They consistently deliver. I am smoking HB in one now, and it is outstanding. I have never experienced the bad taste. They just keep delivering and seem to improve with age.

It may be you have noticed a tendency in your own smoking preferences to favor wider bowls. You might benefit from an experiment.

@Tom: I did try the Gentleman. It's a fairly wide bowl. I think I have experimented enough with them as I bought over a dozen over the last couple years.

@Richard: I did throw the 2 Patriots, and in a garbage bin at that. There. Done. :clown:

I believe that cobs and I are simply not compatible. All the issues I have with them are non existant with all my briars. It happens.

Lord Guyrox":ftnu8zxr said:
@Tom: I did try the Gentleman. It's a fairly wide bowl. I think I have experimented enough with them as I bought over a dozen over the last couple years.
The CG still has a 3/4 inside diameter (at least the ones I have had). I drilled mine out to open them up, and it made a difference for me. I can see deciding you have enough time, energy and money invested in cobs and they are just not working for you. It is supposed to be fun after all...

LG you did your homework and learned cobs are not your thing. They're not for everyone. I don't really care for them either. Briars are the only pipes I really enjoy with the exception of an Osage Orange and a Walnut pipe made for me by the Ozark Wizard. The Osage Orange smoked like a dream from the first puff but it was only after a little cake began forming before the Walnut and I got to be good friends. There's nothing wrong with preferring Briar. :)

AJ

ajn27511":cw6hvn5q said:
...There's nothing wrong with preferring Briar.
Absolutely not. Even Mark Twain smoked them. He is, however, rolling over in his grave.

Richard Burley":vcqlije3 said:
ajn27511":vcqlije3 said:
...There's nothing wrong with preferring Briar.
Absolutely not. Even Mark Twain smoked them. He is, however, rolling over in his grave.
:lol!: :lol!: Just wait until queen hillary takes the throne... :evil:

AJ

That's a shame LG. Different strokes for different folks. That's one of the wonderful things about our hobby - it's more of an art than a science. I guess the important thing is working out what works for you. Onwards!

Good on you LG for realizing if it isn't working for you it's time to move on. So many continue to beat their heads into a brick wall trying to make things work.

Jim

@LG

Try a tighter pack if you decide to give a cob another chance. The very open draw on cobs can be deceiving, and allow more airflow letting your tobacco burn hotter. Or, you can wait until MM decides to do another wave of reverse calabash pipes. Marilyn from MM told me they had planned to this year, but they didn't have a decent crop of large cobs from this year's harvest. Hopeful for next year though!

My most recent pipe purchase...to go with a half pound of bulk Classic Burley Kake.

Total purchase $18.

A Great Dane shape I'd never seen before...

pm-pmmgd-spd-str.png" style="width: 200px;height: 200px

And a neato classic Dublin...

pm-pmmmt-str_view2.png" style="width: 200px;height: 200px

If you want a great smoke stuff one of these with some Storm Front. Gravity feed.

That was an interesting contrarian post. I must have at least two dozen cobs (I tend to add a cob to pipe orders if it doesn't add to shipping). I've only had one cob, a Missouri Pride, deliver a hot, non-tasty smoke. Even that one has gradually become a bit more cooperative.  I think the problem was due to a very large air passage and possibly a still green cob. I've gradually come over to the theory that our own chemical make up accounts for much of the variation we report in enjoying pipes and tobacco. I used to blame it all on packing or technique. But that can't be the whole truth. Just read some of the TR threads on, say, the Codger blends. The variety in reported experience is kinda droll, but the great assurance with which each contradictory experience is presented is often plumb hilarious. I agree that if you don't enjoy something, you oughta just s t o p. Tempus fugit, and all.

Well...good on Guy since he tried and tried and then attempted to research what might be wrong so he could correct it. Great approach I'd say.

That said, the fault could lie in any number of directions. Maybe the blends, maybe the technique, maybe the climate...could be a local fungus! Trolls? Alien agents from Andromida? Who knows!

And with all that, I'd say don't throw good money after bad. If it ain't wotkin'...dump it and move on.