So Embarrassed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Yesterday, I went grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. As I'm leaving, I see my late wife's uncle's wife. Technically, through marriage, she's my aunt, however, she's a couple of years younger than me. Her late husband was 18 years older than her. She's originally from Columbia and has not aged well. She was widowed twenty years ago. Within a couple years after my wife's passing, "auntie" made overtures that she wanted to socialize with me. To maintain positive family relations, I went out to dinner with her a couple of times. I really have a difficult time dealing with her because she complains about everything and admits that she loves complaining.

So, yesterday, she wanted to chit chat. I suggested that we push our respective grocery carts to where there is a park bench outside the store. We talked for a while, when my relatively new next door neighbor appeared. She greeted me, then asked, aloud, "Is this your mother?" I struggled not to laugh, and I mean fought back the laughter. I said, "No, this is my late wife's aunt." Greetings were polite.
After my neighbor went into the store, "auntie" began to cry. "Do I look old enough to be your mother?" I assured her that my neighbor is very young (about 28-30) and saw gray/white hair, etc.

Today, I do feel a bit embarrassed, but still think it's funny.

The way this reads to me, is that your "late wife's uncle's wife" seems likely to be considerably older than you despite her being 18 years younger than her late husband. Am I missing something here? My only point of comparison is that my uncles were up to 40 years older than me, and even if their wives were 18 years younger that would still place them 22 years older than me????

Cheers,

RR

The way this reads to me, is that your "late wife's uncle's wife" seems likely to be considerably older than you despite her being 18 years younger than her late husband. Am I missing something here? My only point of comparison is that my uncles were up to 40 years older than me, and even if their wives were 18 years younger that would still place them 22 years older than me???? Cheers, RR
The uncle would be 93 this year, the "auntie" turned 75 in August.

I'm so confused by how people deal with age. It isn't just women, either. She's 75. Does she think she looks thirty-something? I'll leave it at that. Just so weird. And the ones who do nothing to stay healthy or consider their health? Do you understand how this works?

She's 75. Does she think she looks thirty-something?
I think in her mind, she looks to be in her early 60s. She looks early 80s. Very good skin runs in my family. Most people assume I'm in my early 60s because of the skin and the fact that I'm small and have practiced walking young. Costco Liquor in Burnsville, MN requires all purchasers to present their driver's license or official I.D. for scan. Last week, I made a purchase and the 60ish cashier looked at my license and D.O.B. and remarked, "I could have never guessed your age. Is there a secret?" "Yes, but it's a secret."

Some of it is good genes, some how the person takes care of themselves, and maybe some diet and lifestyle. It all factors in. I feel extremely lucky. My wife will be 71 this Feb. She can easily pass for mid 50s. But she eats sensibly, like a bird compared to me, and hikes 3 or 4 times a week. Then again, maybe I'm a little prejudiced, lol. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 0621141056.jpg
    0621141056.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 76