So happy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Well, now that my hand is healing up somewhat, I was able to go for a ride yesterday. The horse belongs to a Ranger buddy of mine, but I am buying him and this was a "test ride". Will be getting him next week. May have to change my handle to Blackhorsetoo, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-27-19-10-50.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-27-19-10-50.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_2021-04-27-17-55-04.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-27-17-55-04.png
    925.9 KB · Views: 118
To be honest, I don't really understand equine behavior. I first rode a horse at overnight summer camp when I was seven-years-old. I was kind of a nasty ill behaved child, and I understood that the "ranger" in charge of the horses was pairing me with a short chubby horse (Stubby) with a similar disposition. From the moment we met, that horse and I were compadres. To the bewilderment of everyone, when I was on Stubby, he was angel. When other kids tried to ride him, he'd leave the trail, stall, maybe even decide to run back to the stable.

Years later, my first wife and I were living in Duluth, MN. She was a lifelong equestrian, competing in hunter/jumper competitions. At the stable where she was riding, we were offered to buy a former race horse, now gelded, supposedly six years old, for the price the owner would get from a Canadian meat processing plant. My wife said he was a total bargain, very trainable. I didn't know anything, but thought he looked nice and he always nuzzled me when I got close. I did have a veterinarian examine him, who gave him a clean bill of health.
I was totally clueless what the cost of a box stall, feed, farriers, veterinarians, etc. would be. After we had the horse for a few weeks. the ex said he was harder to train than she thought he would be, but she would persevere. My ex rode an English saddle that was literally crafted for her. I have only ridden western saddles. Occasionally, on the Q T, I'd go to the stable, throw a western saddle on him and just go for a leisurely ride. There were times during our stroll when he'd stretch his neck toward me and give me the "look" which meant "I'm going for a run." I held on for dear life and I swear, when he slowed to a trot, he was laughing. The ex always was pissed when she found out I'd put a western saddle on him and just "gave him his head" as she put it.
The marriage didn't last long. I looked for a buyer for the horse, but was unsuccessful. I ultimately found a camp that used horses in a rehab program for children. Fortunately, it was a 501(c)3 as I paid for the horse's upkeep until he passed, about a decade later. I did get a nice annual tax deduction and photos.
There was no way on God's earth I was going to sell him to a meat processing plant. I think he knew that.

To be honest, I don't really understand equine behavior. I first rode a horse at overnight summer camp when I was seven-years-old. I was kind of a nasty ill behaved child, and I understood that the "ranger" in charge of the horses was pairing me with a short chubby horse (Stubby) with a similar disposition. From the moment we met, that horse and I were compadres. To the bewilderment of everyone, when I was on Stubby, he was angel. When other kids tried to ride him, he'd leave the trail, stall, maybe even decide to run back to the stable.

Years later, my first wife and I were living in Duluth, MN. She was a lifelong equestrian, competing in hunter/jumper competitions. At the stable where she was riding, we were offered to buy a former race horse, now gelded, supposedly six years old, for the price the owner would get from a Canadian meat processing plant. My wife said he was a total bargain, very trainable. I didn't know anything, but thought he looked nice and he always nuzzled me when I got close. I did have a veterinarian examine him, who gave him a clean bill of health.
I was totally clueless what the cost of a box stall, feed, farriers, veterinarians, etc. would be. After we had the horse for a few weeks. the ex said he was harder to train than she thought he would be, but she would persevere. My ex rode an English saddle that was literally crafted for her. I have only ridden western saddles. Occasionally, on the Q T, I'd go to the stable, throw a western saddle on him and just go for a leisurely ride. There were times during our stroll when he'd stretch his neck toward me and give me the "look" which meant "I'm going for a run." I held on for dear life and I swear, when he slowed to a trot, he was laughing. The ex always was pissed when she found out I'd put a western saddle on him and just "gave him his head" as she put it.
The marriage didn't last long. I looked for a buyer for the horse, but was unsuccessful. I ultimately found a camp that used horses in a rehab program for children. Fortunately, it was a 501(c)3 as I paid for the horse's upkeep until he passed, about a decade later. I did get a nice annual tax deduction and photos.
There was no way on God's earth I was going to sell him to a meat processing plant. I think he knew that.
Steve, to be honest, most riders do not totally understand equine behavior. Even a lot of trainers. Most "cowboys" say they are the dumbest creatures on earth. Don't agree with that but they can be contrary at times.

Just heard this am that Johnny Crawford, Mark on the Rifleman series, passed away yesterday. He had ridden the horse I just bought several times as the guy I got Jesse from was a friend of his in CA. There is a you tube video of him twirling a lasso on Jesse's back from 5 years ago. My wife says it is a God wink and I believe her. I will think of him every time I mount Jesse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-29-10-37-20.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-29-10-37-20.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
Been on a roll this morning!! 15-year-old Balkan Sasieni in a Don Carlos 2-note blast 1/8th bent. 11-year-old Margate in a Ruthenburg 1/8th bent 1/2 saddle blast billliard. 11-year-old Commomwealth in a 1960 DH 120 Shell Briar. And after a light lunch, 13-year-old Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture in an Andreus Bauer apple Meer!

Sorry!! Reading one thread and then composing before switching around!! Would one of you "administrator" types move this to "What are you smoking right now," please. many thanks, FTRPLT!

Attachments

• IMG_1007[1].JPG
    IMG_1007[1].JPG
    1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0836[1].JPG
    IMG_0836[1].JPG
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited: