So if it won't stay lit...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
That means that it's packed too tight and/or needs to be dried out. Is this correct?

I have to constantly relight with all different tobacco/pipe combos so I assume that it's my packing technique. Just trying to get my troubleshooting down.

I think I just stumbled upon something as I was sitting here packing my pipe. I've been using this little butane "pipe" lighter that has the tools and everything on it. I got to looking and the flame is pretty weak on it. Grabbed some wood matches and man what a difference.

I think that along with my lack of packing skills has been disastrous.

With time everything will work itself out. You'll find what works and what wont and the such I had the same problems keeping my tobacco lit. I just found it gets easier as you become more acquainted withe the tobacco and your pipes. Good luck man!

Aaron.

I like my tobacco fairly dry for that reason, but not too dry. Better to err on the side of loose when packing. You can always tamp.

another variable that could be the culprit is how often & how you puff. tamping (or lack of it) also has a bit to do w/it. when i had more of a problem w/keeping it lit than i do now, i eliminated the easiest 1st. i dry my tobac enough so that when i pinch it together it doesn't stick then spring apart. it's not dry enough to crumble though either.

for filling my pipe, i use a 2 step method (kinda like the 3 step method). i fill to the top then apply just enough pressure w/my finger that the tobac stays in the pipe if i turn it upsidedown, then repeat.

how you puff sorta works itself out. you want to keep the tobac going but not overheat the pipe. i've learned to do this by trial & error.

tamping can help a lot. matter of fact, the more aware i am of when to tamp, the less lights i need. i tamp when the ash starts to look fluffy. i just set the tamper on the ash & let it's weight push the ash down. i usually give the tamper a slight twist while doing this.

hope this helps.

Great answers above. There are a lot of factors, including over tight packing, too wet tobacco, poor puffing, lack of (or excessive) tamping, etc. Practice will make perfect, or close to it, but keep in mind that relights are part of the game. I've come to accept that. You definitely want to minimize them (especially if you smoke while driving, like I often do), but it seems that a relight-free pipe smoking experience is exceedingly rare or maybe non-existent... at least for me.

-Andrew

I just push my little finger into the bowl after adding a tobacco layer to firm that layer up a bit until I've reached the top.

I seem only to tamp at the top of the bowl, although I've tried this deeper into the bowl to no effect.

I have a lot of relights.

The good news about my smoking technique is that I'm smoking slower, and my mouth is a good deal less sore than previously.

There are tobaccos that just don't want to stay lit. Such as Dark Star, for one example (going by the number of reviews of it @ TR that complain about this).

Also, English-style ribbons differ from flakes, etc. in this respect.

As long as you like what you're smoking, re-lights are no big deal. And, IMHO, are much preferable to losing flavor by drying your tobacco out just to avoid re-lighting it.

I smoke mostly flakes and do a lot of re-lighting.

:face:

As mentioned before. Always err on the side of loose. That helps to tame known bitey blends.

A lot of folks have a terrible time with MacBaren tobaccos. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that their method of taking Virgina's and making a flavorful cavendish produces a potential rabid cat in a can. But packed loose, and sipped at carefully, they can be rewarding.