So I'm Not the Only One

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
So many questiona about cellaring and results.

Tonight I picked up the June 2007 edition of "The Pipe Collector" that Regor had sent me some months ago. In it was an article by Rick Newcombe. He's describing the good results he's had by cellaring EMP in "used" McClelland tins.

Hey, I put some of my tobacco in used tobacco tins. Yes... I'm a confessed re-tinner :shock: .

Actually, I don't buy 5 lbs and put the tobacco in tins... but if I get a baggy of 2oz, I'm not beyond putting the baccy in a used tin and re-labelling it.

Now, here's one that I've never heard before... he (Rick Newcombe) claims that McClellands use the best tins as these are specially coated by a vegetable company that Mike McNeil engaged to make or coat his tins.

Rick Newcombe admits it's dry tobacco and so do I. He also say's its good and so do I.

:D Paul

i read that article as well... it mentions the "pipe club" that was having scottish woods remade for them (which was the board i use to mod at)... we still haven't gotten the tobacco yet, seems it takes months to print tin labels (cuz i put the artwork in mikes hand myself back in Nov/Dec).

haven't personally tried to keep bulk blends in old McClellands tins for aging, since the tin is already open and not sealed (seems like they'd dry out pretty quickly).

maybe using the tin for the cellared stuff you're going to smoke, yes, that sounds good.

never a shortage of things to try with pipes, is there? :sunny:

Actually those McClelland tins do look "coated" on the inside. The C&D tins do look coated as well. McC is light tan and C&D white.

But the European tins don't seem to have any coating on the inside.

Check a few of your empty tins. I would think that there might be something to be said about "tin rust", perhaps, perhaps not?

:D Paul

I'm missing something here.

Mason jars are forever.

The cost is insignificant if you're paying $265 for a pound of Erinmore.

We need a skinny chicken icon for Puffs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CHEEP!

Shouldn't you be out spraying bugs?

thomas james":hkb5xwk1 said:
I'm missing something here.

Mason jars are forever.

The cost is insignificant if you're paying $265 for a pound of Erinmore.

We need a skinny chicken icon for Puffs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CHEEP!

Shouldn't you be out spraying bugs?
Hey, you caught me blow-drying my pipe cleaners... the rinse cycle just finished on the dish washer. BTW, still too cold nights for those pesky pests, although this weekend is suppose to be like summer.

:p Paul