So just what is wassel?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Furgeson

Reaction score
So I have heard about wassel (sp?) off and on all my life and finaly made up my mind to ask what it is. I know, I know why not just google it and get the answer that way? I ask you where is the fun in that? So I would like to hear from our Brothers and Sisters here. A) what is it? i know its a drink but is it "adult" or family friendly? B) how is it made? C) where did you learn to make it and lastly D) What does it taste like to you?

Ozark Wizard":citp2ryv said:
I'm not familiar with it. Guess I have something to study tonight!

:D
From what I have heard (not sure mind you) It is a drink that dates back to the Vikings and their yule celibrations. This is what made me ask if it is family friendly or an adult beverage.

DrT999":1aynk5j0 said:
Hot mulled cider; never cared for it.
Thanks DrT. Still not sure how it is made but at least I have an idea of what it might taste like.

Eric Furgeson":xkb7rb3e said:
DrT999":xkb7rb3e said:
Thanks DrT. Still not sure how it is made but at least I have an idea of what it might taste like.
Pour cider in a pot (or kettle for an open fire), sweet or hard depending on who's being served;
add spices (cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom, ginger, etc.); some might add sugar or honey, or citrus slices, brandy, etc.;
bring to slow boil;
let simmer

serve to carolers, going from house to house, to keep them warm (i.e., those who are 'wassailing')

DrT999":xdkctiz2 said:
Eric Furgeson":xdkctiz2 said:
DrT999":xdkctiz2 said:
Pour cider in a pot (or kettle for an open fire), sweet or hard depending on who's being served;
add spices (cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom, ginger, etc.); some might add sugar or honey, or citrus slices, brandy, etc.;
bring to slow boil;
let simmer

serve to carolers, going from house to house, to keep them warm (i.e., those who are 'wassailing')
Acutaly sounds good I will have to give it a try.

Eric Furgeson":h4y4ewj4 said:
DrT999":h4y4ewj4 said:
Eric Furgeson":h4y4ewj4 said:
DrT999":h4y4ewj4 said:
bring to slow boil;
let simmer

Acutaly sounds good I will have to give it a try.
If the idea sounds good, I'm sure there are lots of recipes out there to work from!

...so it's not a small fury rodent that lives in the Highlands of Scotland then?

OK, OK, I checked this out.........

Sounds pretty sweet, kinda spicy, and definitely best using over-ripe or slightly fermented apples......

Hmmm.............

I'll get back to you.................

:twisted:

Years ago I made a Wassail bowl that went something like this-

Take a gallon of malty sweet ale and pour into a cooking pot. Slowly bring a simmer and stir in a cup of confectioners sugar (or more to taste).

Into this, place one or more whole oranges that have had a dozen or more whole cloves stuck into them.

Continue to simmer for 20 min or so. Do not boil.

Serve into a punch bowl while still hot with the oranges floating in them. Ladle this into punch glasses and toast each other's health with a hearty cry of "Wassail".

Heating the ale drives off some of the alcohol, but not all. So it's definitely an adult beverage. There again it's fairly sweet too, so it sort of discourages large scale consumption. IMO, of course.

I made this back when I was a cheesehead before I got into brewing. And while I never wrote down the recipe that's as close as I can remember it.

:santa:

Cheers,

RR

Stick":j1ffhv2t said:
...so it's not a small fury rodent that lives in the Highlands of Scotland then?
Nope and it is nay the wee fury rodent that lives under a kilt!!!!! :lol!:

Brewdude":szjlsv0z said:
Years ago I made a Wassail bowl that went something like this-

Take a gallon of malty sweet ale and pour into a cooking pot. Slowly bring a simmer and stir in a cup of confectioners sugar (or more to taste).

Into this, place one or more whole oranges that have had a dozen or more whole cloves stuck into them.

Continue to simmer for 20 min or so. Do not boil.

Serve into a punch bowl while still hot with the oranges floating in them. Ladle this into punch glasses and toast each other's health with a hearty cry of "Wassail".

Heating the ale drives off some of the alcohol, but not all. So it's definitely an adult beverage. There again it's fairly sweet too, so it sort of discourages large scale consumption. IMO, of course.

I made this back when I was a cheesehead before I got into brewing. And while I never wrote down the recipe that's as close as I can remember it.

:santa:

Cheers,

RR
I honestly figured you would have an answer for this one Brew! Given that it had a chance of involving alcohol and the mixing of such :lol: :lol: :lol:

I reckon it just depends what part of the country your in, here it's a small critter that looks sorta like a mank or fairat.

My mom made wassel every Christmas day for us to drink while we read the birth of Jesus from the bible and opened our Christmas presents. She did a family friendly version without any alcohol. Being older now, I can see some brandy being added to it would make it quite delicious!

DrT, your spot on! I can't explain any better. Your a scholar for sure :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

DrT is dead on, as always.

Basically, picture hot apple cider with all of the traditional holiday spices and (to make it even remotely enjoyable) a bit of booze.

This is the fireplace inside Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. The reddish globe is allegedly for making mulled cider. It swings out and into the fireplace. Apparently some people go for this type of thing more than others.

mulled10.jpg
" />

Cartaphilus":bu39eqna said:
I reckon it just depends what part of the country your in, here it's a small critter that looks sorta like a mank or fairat.

I saw what you did there.  ;)

Eric Furgeson said:
DrT999 said:
Eric Furgeson":kwfnwfbo said:
DrT999":kwfnwfbo said:
bring to slow boil;
let simmer

serve to carolers, going from house to house, to keep them warm (i.e., those who are 'wassaling).

So if a politician comes to my house and I find their positions to be constantly changing with the breeze, i.e. waffling, I have to get out the waffle iron and make them waffles?

Natch