So many Cigars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I was at a B&M the other day (not one I usually go to) and decided I wanted a cigar and realized, I have no idea what kind or which one(s) I might like... there were easily a thousand to choose from there, and not much explanation of what I was about to purchase...

I usually smoke VaPer blends like Elizabethan, Escudo, St. James Flake, and occasionally English blends such as Quiet Nights, Plum Pudding...

Looking for a change of pace, any suggestions?

Full, medium, or mild, options can be flavor and strength. I go for the medium to full blends most often. Darker wrappers can have a much different taste from lighter wrappers as well. I prefer lighter wrappers on some models and darker on others.

I'd suggest sticking with the established name brands like Fuente, Romeo & Juliet, Padron, etc.--and even with those I'd suggest sticking with their standard versions. A lot of makers are going for "bolder" versions of this and that, or variations on an established blend, and as far as my experience goes, they all suck. Stay away from cigars you never heard of--their numbers are legion--and always pick a size that's comfortable for you, not what others are smoking. Most large currently popular sizes when smoked remind me of a sex act. I like relatively mild coronas, but that's just personal preference. Sample packs might be the way to go if you're ordering online.

Start simple. Arturo Fuente Curley Head. It's made from the cuttings of the more expensive cigars. So, in other words, it isn't long filler, but you get the flavor and tobacco quality of a far more expensive cigar. They smoke great, so don't be mislead by any of this. They're a great value in the cigar market, and there aren't a lot of those in my opinion.

I'd also maybe try a Punch Rothchild. aka Hoya de Monterrey.

You'll have to do some experimenting with country of origin, sizes, shades, etc. For instance, I tend to like the more acidic Honduran cigar over the more mild tone of a Dominican. These are general rules. There are certainly robust, acidic Dominican cigars, but in the lower cost realms, there are general rules you'll establish for yourself that will mostly be reliable.

Zeno Marx":lv4j0r3i said:
Start simple.  Arturo Fuente Curley Head.  It's made from the cuttings of the more expensive cigars.  So, in other words, it isn't long filler, but you get the flavor and tobacco quality of a far more expensive cigar.  They smoke great, so don't be mislead by any of this.  They're a great value in the cigar market, and there aren't a lot of those in my opinion.

I'd also maybe try a Punch Rothchild.  aka Hoya de Monterrey.

You'll have to do some experimenting with country of origin, sizes, shades, etc.  For instance, I tend to like the more acidic Honduran cigar over the more mild tone of a Dominican.  These are general rules.  There are certainly robust, acidic Dominican cigars, but in the lower cost realms, there are general rules you'll establish for yourself that will mostly be reliable.
I disagree, the AF Curley Head and Punch/Hoyo Rothchild are ok cigars at best and not to everyone's taste because of this. I do agree with Richard on sticking with the well known lines, but get something in the higher tier offerings since you're looking to smoke one cigar as perhaps an occasional thing, go for something that will be excellent. Fuente Hemingway, Don Carlos, or Sungrown for Dominicans. Padron Anniversary natural or maduro for Nicaraguans. These are a good starting point for an almost guaranteed great experience. Of course you can't go wrong with any Davidoff, they are always top quality, but unfortunately too expensive.

I picked up an Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva. To be honest I was kind of overwhelmed. A few years ago I had a Kristoff something or other but couldn’t remember which one so I tried to go with something close to your guys recommendations.

The tobacconist knows my pipe tobacco tastes and suggested an Espinosa Lorange(I think) but it was a little more pricey. Hopefully I picked a decent one

Old Nate":f588qyb2 said:
I picked up an Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva. To be honest I was kind of overwhelmed. A few years ago I had a Kristoff something or other but couldn’t remember which one so I tried to go with  something close to your guys recommendations.

The tobacconist knows my pipe tobacco tastes and suggested an Espinosa Lorange(I think) but it was a little more pricey. Hopefully I picked a decent one
The Laranjas are excellent, mild-medium with a citrus twang to them.

Yeah, I just didn’t know... the last post I saw on this before I bought the Gran Teserva was Zenos. I almost bought the Hemingway. Oh well hopefully I like what I got.

You can't go wrong with anything by Oliva. I personally like the Connecticut Reserve and the Serie G. Both are milder and very tasty. Another one of my favorites is Diesel by A.J. Fernandez.

Smoking the Fuente Reserva tonight (right now actually). It’s really nice. A little pepper, some spice, and seems like a little earthy leatheriness. It’s really, very good! I think I’ll try a Hemingway next, but just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions.

This is a nice change of pace from the pipe.

Used to love Fuente Reserves. The 90's sticks were incredible. I used to smoke the maduro Canones and they were peppery, with a wonderful sweet cedary finish. The last dozen Reserves I have smoke over the years 858 Flor Fina's, Robusto's and a couple other sizes were marginal comparatively. It seems to me that Fuente started sinking most of their energy into the Hemingway and Opus X lines and left the Reserves behind. Now I don't even bother with them and I smoke the Curly Heads instead... ;)

What are the Curly Heads? I looked but didn’t see them or didn’t know what I was looking for?

Since I started smoking cigars about 8-9 months ago, my favorites are the Drew Estates Liga Privada No.9 and the T52. The little Papas Fritas (French Fries) they make which is about $5.75 also tastes the same. The fun part is trying them all out, like pipe tobacco.

Liga Privada T52 is excellent, albeit pricey. I don't like the No. 9 nearly as much. Belicoso and Robusto are my favorites.

Fight'n Hampsters":b7u7iz7b said:
I too would stick to picks within brands like Oliva and Alec Bradley.
Oliva is a good choice as most of their offerings are really good. Alec Bradley not so much IMHO. You would really need to know what fits with your taste in that brand.

Curly head is a pretty good, mild cigar. It has some body, but is on the sweet side. Also, it’s pretty cheap lol. Good smoke for under 10$.

I’ve been smoking my father bijou lately, which is an excellent dark strong in my opinion. They’re about 12$ in CT. If you’re just getting into cigars, try some samplers from JR cigar or another site like that. They are usually grouped by strength. And, I would suggest sticking to hand rolled as opposed to say, your white owls and Dutch masters

IMHO Cigars, just like pipe blends, are a very very individual thing. Plus, in all frontmarks there are inexpensive, mid-level and premium items. I’d recommend trying to discover what wrapper leaf you like as that’s where 90% of the flavor comes from. Do you like Corojo? Criollo? Dominican? Nicaraguan? Connecticut Shade? Madura? Ecuadorian Sumatra? Those differences are much like the differences between a Burley vs a VA/Per vs Semois...etc., etc. Me? I like Corojo...and the Sumatra.  Then...figure out what size and shape suits you..corona, Churchill, Toro, etc. Size and shape also can drastically change a cigar’s personality even within a specific line. Cuban? Very overrated. The legendary Cubans are gone...traditional tobacco plants now gone...replaced by newer strains that are more disease resistant but without the old flavor profiles. In general I’d go with a Robusto using Nicaraguan and/or cigars rolled in Miami...like Pepin Garcia. Why Robusto? It’s the most purchased size and makers typically put their best tobacco leaves there.

I also like:

Gran Habano #5 Corojo
Casa Magna
La Herencia Cubana
The My Father line in general
Olivia Serie V
San Cristobal
Sancho Panza
Tatuaje line in general (great Cigars)
Torano line in general

Well, that’s MY two cents.

Sigh, cigars are a difficult beast for some of us. I have smoked quite a few and had really high hopes and was treated to super bitter, gag inducing smokes. These were mostly middle of the road sticks that folks really seem to like. So I cracked open my wallet and tried really expensive sticks as in $20+ each. Again I got super bitter nasty gag inducing smokes. I've even tried slumming it and picked up $3-$4 sticks. Sure I've had the very occasional decent smoke from each price range I've tried but the majority have been massive disappointments. You may have to do a whole lot of searching to find sticks you like. Don't give up though. When you find something you like it can be a super experience and a real treat.

Jim

Fuente Gran Reserves used to be so good and incredibly affordable. The Maduro wrapped Canones, Churchill’s and Double Coronas where all quite pleasant. Lightly sweet on the finish, mild to medium in strength with that beautiful cedary black pepper thing going on. I recently smoked a Flor Fina 858 Maduro from them and it was nothing to write home about. Quite disappointing actually. Maybe I have spoiled myself with good pipe tobacco, who knows...