So This is Where You All Been Hiding!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-96":q294t0ss said:
Meerorbriar":q294t0ss said:
co-founder of Ladies of the Briar on Yahoo, yes we discriminate - females only.
:suspect:

Welcome to "Brothers of Briar". We don't discriminate.
and I'm very glad you don't ;) Unfortunately, many women that want to learn about the hobby are a little intimidated by what others will think inside the hobby. We try to bring them into a safe comfortable environment to ensure them they're not alone in enjoying the gentle art of pipe smoking. Pesonally, I think it's much healthier than smoking cigarettes and I'll tell anyone why (I think you all have figured it out.) Its important to encourage all that want to join the ranks; however, most women aren't as bold as me. :flower:

Happy puffin'
Meer

Justpipes":snsi7cc0 said:
Meer, I love that avatar!!!
Thanks, Mark. I found that little lady while surfing the net. She's from an antique post card, and I couldn't resist her. :flower:

Meerorbriar":e8w9rqph said:
Justpipes":e8w9rqph said:
Meer, I love that avatar!!!
Thanks, Mark. I found that little lady while surfing the net. She's from an antique post card, and I couldn't resist her. :flower:
She is an absolute doll for sure and that pipe looks like it was made for her!

Meerorbriar":o4pykk8y said:
many women that want to learn about the hobby are a little intimidated by what others will think inside the hobby. We try to bring them into a safe comfortable environment to ensure them they're not alone

...most women aren't as bold as me.

Is the presence of men intimidating in itself, jeopardizing a "safe, comfortable environment", or is this an instance of a subset of women who aren't "bold" being intimidated by men?

I can't speak for others but I am happy as can be that you all are here!!! I bet a few are as well. :cyclops: :sunny:

regor":6cvro837 said:
I can't speak for others but I am happy as can be that you all are here!!! I bet a few are as well. :cyclops: :sunny:
That makes two of us Regor!

Ladies are always welcome as far as I am concerned!

10-96":h89xhspx said:
Meerorbriar":h89xhspx said:
many women that want to learn about the hobby are a little intimidated by what others will think inside the hobby. We try to bring them into a safe comfortable environment to ensure them they're not alone

...most women aren't as bold as me.

Is the presence of men intimidating in itself, jeopardizing a "safe, comfortable environment", or is this an instance of a subset of women who aren't "bold" being intimidated by men?
Some of the women are afraid that people will perceive their passion for pipes odd :cyclops: and also know there are some male pipe smokers that might be too interested in them :shock: :heart: or harrassing to women in the hobby. Also in the group we discuss other hobbies and interests that woman are more likely to share as well as "girl talk" This builds a family bond between us. This extra support may get them to the point when they can smoke their pipes in the open (or wherever the smoke nazis allow) and come visit some of the great shows and clubs this hobby has to offer. Hope that makes more sense.

Happy puffin'
Meer
:flower:

Accipeter":7x15nrbb said:
Hiya Meer! Always nice to see another SOB here!! Or would that be LOB...
Hi Accipeter it's always great to meet other Ladies of the Briar! So what brought you into the hobby? (I'm always curious to find out what has drawn other women to the gentle art of pipe smoking)

Happy puffin'
Meer

Meerorbriar":ev2ktx7n said:
We try to bring them into a safe comfortable environment.... Some of the women are afraid that people will perceive their passion for pipes odd and also know there are some male pipe smokers that might be too interested in them or harrassing to women
So the presence of men makes the environment uncomfortable and unsafe, and the sole justification for discriminating against men is to prejudge them as sexually-obsessed and harassing to women?

10-96":1e1kdjtd said:
Meerorbriar":1e1kdjtd said:
We try to bring them into a safe comfortable environment.... Some of the women are afraid that people will perceive their passion for pipes odd and also know there are some male pipe smokers that might be too interested in them or harrassing to women
So the presence of men makes the environment uncomfortable and unsafe, and the sole justification for discriminating against men is to prejudge them as sexually-obsessed and harassing to women?
It sounds like it doesn't make a lot of sense to you, but our ladies do appreciate it. Sometimes women feel more comfortable talking about things with other women, and we provide that place. It's a "Birds of a feather flock together" thing. Most of the first time posts we get are "Thank God I found you, I thought I was the only one!" There are quite a few women (over 100 that I know of because of LotB) in the hobby and many more who want to learn and point blank yes they are afraid or uncomfortable to discuss it with men - at least in the beginning. So am I a female chauvinist pig?
icon_porc.png
LOL! not really- If a person wants to learn more about the hobby they'll find a way, and I'm proud to be able to help, regardless of the gender, race, creed....

Happy puffin'
Meer

Crap. I just got around to reading this thread, for whatever reason I seldom read the 'Welcome Aboard'/'What are you smoking' run up the post count threads. When I saw the flower in another post the light finally went off. MEER.

When my stapdad speaks of Stokers 2 names always come up Meer and Yarnie. :) :)
Welcome Aboard!!!!!!!!!!!

puros_bran":uppts5ku said:
Crap. I just got around to reading this thread, for whatever reason I seldom read the 'Welcome Aboard'/'What are you smoking' run up the post count threads. When I saw the flower in another post the light finally went off. MEER.

When my stapdad speaks of Stokers 2 names always come up Meer and Yarnie. :) :)
Welcome Aboard!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, PB, I'm glad I was led here! BTW, your step-dad?

Happy puffin'
Meer

Meerorbriar":iey4n7b1 said:
It sounds like it doesn't make a lot of sense to you, but our ladies do appreciate it. Sometimes women feel more comfortable talking about things with other women, and we provide that place. It's a "Birds of a feather flock together" thing. Most of the first time posts we get are "Thank God I found you, I thought I was the only one!" There are quite a few women (over 100 that I know of because of LotB) in the hobby and many more who want to learn and point blank yes they are afraid or uncomfortable to discuss it with men - at least in the beginning. So am I a female chauvinist pig? LOL! not really- If a person wants to learn more about the hobby they'll find a way, and I'm proud to be able to help, regardless of the gender, race, creed....
You have defended your policy pretty reasonably and admirably, but you still cannot justify casting ALL MEN as sexually interested in the women in your group. That would be no different than if I made the claim that women were "always trying to pick up men", which would probably make women angry and justifiably so.

I can see your discrimination policy being a good idea if your group was for survivors of sexual assault. But it’s a social clique no different than the one you joined here, and your insinuation that the double-standard is okay because “men might try and hit on us” is hypocritical. Why don’t you just remove the men who are idiots from your club?

If the roles were reversed, and I said I created a men-only group and that we discriminate because the presence of women makes the atmosphere uncomfortable and unsafe, and that “there are some females who come on there because they are too interested in men and are trying to pick up men”, I would expect every woman in America to come to my house and drag me from my living room to burn me at the stake. Rightfully so, I might add. Most men I know don’t sexually degrade women, make sexual advances to ones they do not know, and don’t sexually harass women. Apparently you think otherwise. (It might be noted that you've been on this board here for a few weeks, and not one man has made a sexual advance towards you or has sexually harassed you, in fact, they have welcomed you with open arms despite the fact that you have insulted men.)

Would you have a problem with a whites-only group who excluded blacks because they were afraid of a stereotype? Or what about a black-only group who excluded whites because of a stereotype? Or what about a group that excluded Jewish pipe smokers because of a stereotype?

And "birds of a feather flock together" isn't what it says on your website. It says:

You will feel comfortable at LOTB. No worries about being ridiculed or called names. No worries about receiving unwanted solicitation. We do not allow men to join LOTB so please do not request membership if you are a male. All membership requests are carefully screened and we will deny those that we feel are inappropriate for our club. Those few that happen to get past our screening will eventually be found out and banned.
If I created a club like yours banning women, using that exact same language, I would be on the front page of USA Today and FoxNews as the biggest sexist in the history of sexists.

10-96, it's called "women's prerogative".

This is supposed to be a "Welcome" forum. You might wish to start a thread for continued discussion of board differences in another forum.

10-96":xv0bln1j said:
You have defended your policy pretty reasonably and admirably, but you still cannot justify casting ALL MEN as sexually interested in the women in your group. That would be no different than if I made the claim that women were "always trying to pick up men", which would probably make women angry and justifiably so.

Would you have a problem with a whites-only group who excluded blacks because they were afraid of a stereotype? Or what about a black-only group who excluded whites because of a stereotype? Or what about a group that excluded Jewish pipe smokers because of a stereotype?

And "birds of a feather flock together" isn't what it says on your website. It says:

You will feel comfortable at LOTB. No worries about being ridiculed or called names. No worries about receiving unwanted solicitation. We do not allow men to join LOTB so please do not request membership if you are a male. All membership requests are carefully screened and we will deny those that we feel are inappropriate for our club. Those few that happen to get past our screening will eventually be found out and banned.
If I created a club like yours banning women, using that exact same language, I would be on the front page of USA Today and FoxNews as the biggest sexist in the history of sexists.
10-96,

Give it a rest man! There are plenty of exclusive clubs in every facet of life........hello!!!..........It is called freedom in America! And, a good majority of those exclusive clubs are for men. If you don't want to be a part of one that is your right as American and just as freely you have the right to start and/or be part of some exclusive organization.

Meer, you are providing a great service by having a venue that the better half of our species can be introduced into our great passion of the pipe without being subjected to the dumbassedness that men have a tendency to display, until they feel comfortable mingling and sharing the hobby with men.

Forgive me Meer for displaying my chauvinist side but I rather think that a lady smoking a pipe is quite sexy and thoroughly enjoy the company of one smoking a pipe.

2_andie.jpg

Hopefully some of the other ladies from the LoTB will be gracious enough to bless us with their company over here! I believe that I can honestly speak for most everyone here in saying that they will be more than welcome!

Keep up the good work Meer, and please, by all means invite some of your friends over!

Mark

10-96: Chill Bro its her house let her run it.

JP: Quit sucking up :D

Meer: he went by the handle of WestonDin. I think he lurked more than he posted,but he loved the place. I had a Stokers Bosi he had bought.