So This is Where You All Been Hiding!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justpipes":6la8tfqn said:
It is called freedom in America! And, a good majority of those exclusive clubs are for men. If you don't want to be a part of one that is your right as American and just as freely you have the right to start and/or be part of some exclusive organization.

Meer, you are providing a great service by having a venue that the better half of our species can be introduced into our great passion of the pipe without being subjected to the dumbassedness that men have a tendency to display, until they feel comfortable mingling and sharing the hobby with men.

Forgive me Meer for displaying my chauvinist side but I rather think that a lady smoking a pipe is quite sexy and thoroughly enjoy the company of one smoking a pipe.

You call men "dumbassed" for saying the exact thing that you say in the very next sentence. Perfect! I hope she doesn't go running away screaming now that you behaved like all those men they're afraid of.

Or maybe there's a difference in you saying she's sexy here, as opposed to over there. Here it's okay, but over there you get "found out and banned". I understand!! Now I'm getting with the program!

OK - let's go through your last post issue by issue

You have defended your policy pretty reasonably and admirably, but you still cannot justify casting ALL MEN as sexually interested in the women in your group.
That would be no different than if I made the claim that women were
"always trying to pick up men", which would probably make women angry
and justifiably so.

If you look at my earlier post this is the wording used in relation to being sexually interested

Some of the women are afraid that people will perceive their passion for pipes odd
icon_cyclops.gif
and also know there are some male pipe smokers that might be too interested in them
icon_eek.gif
herz.png
or harrassing to women in the hobby.
Please note the use of the word some in the quote above.

I can see your discrimination policy being a good idea if your group
was for survivors of sexual assault.[/quote}

Some of our members are survivors, they have the ability to let us know or not, but if they choose to share that in our group because they feel safe or comfortable, that is their prerogative

But it’s a social clique no different than the one you joined here, and your insinuation that the
double-standard is okay because “men might try and hit on us” is
hypocritical. Why don’t you just remove the men who are idiots from
your club?
and

Most men I know don’t sexually degrade women, make sexual advances to
ones they do not know, and don’t sexually harass women. Apparently you
think otherwise.

This is not only a question of being "hit on" it is an issue of sexual harrassment. There are some men in our hobby who have a fettish about pipe and/or cigar smoking women. I have met some who have this interest and I appreciate and respect them for their honesty; however, I am not so ultruistic to believe that all with this interest are as forthcoming and as benign as those I've met. If any of the women in the group were to come to harm because they weren't aware of this possibility, I personally would feel remorse if it occurred.

(It might be noted that you've been on this board here for a few weeks,
and not one man has made a sexual advance towards you or has sexually
harassed you, in fact, they have welcomed you with open arms despite
the fact that you have insulted men.)
Many of the men here know me from other discussion boards or at shows and have become great friends, I appreciate the mutual respect we've gained from knowing each other and sharing knowledge about this hobby as well as the joking around. As stated above I don't believe all men or even most men would sexually harass women, in fact many would defend a woman if they noticed this behavior.

Also if you feel offended or insulted by my posts, this group give gives you the option to put me on your foes list so you won't be subjected to them again.

Would you have a problem with a whites-only group who excluded blacks
because they were afraid of a stereotype? Or what about a black-only
group who excluded whites because of a stereotype? Or what about a
group that excluded Jewish pipe smokers because of a stereotype?
Again, as stated above, this is not a stereotype, it is a minority that exists and some women worry about it. Also this is not a group of women who hate men, many of us discuss our relationships with our husbands or significant others, coworkers,children, etc.

There are groups of people who do exactly what you say because of a stereotype. Our group was formed with the encouragement from many great and kind gentlemen at yahoo ps2 who thought our hobby would benefit from a women's group who would share with other women interested in the gentle art of pipe smoking.

And "birds of a feather flock together" isn't what it says on your website. It says:

"You will feel comfortable at LOTB. No worries about being ridiculed or called names. No worries about receiving unwanted solicitation.
We do not allow men to join LOTB so please do not request membership if
you are a male. All membership requests are carefully screened and we
will deny those that we feel are inappropriate for our club. Those few that happen to get past our screening will eventually be found out and banned."
If
I created a club like yours banning women, using that exact same
language, I would be on the front page of USA Today and FoxNews as the
biggest sexist in the history of sexists.
Please note, that I am a co-founder of the group, and due to personal reasons beyond this hobby I am no longer a member of the management of the group. The words stated are those of the current management, and I will be happy to express your concern with them.

I hope our dialog on this issue has been resolved.

Happy puffin'

Meer

I want to welcome you to the board. I too am a lady pipe smoker who enjoys the hobby along with my husband. We are proud to see you join this BB. Will look forward to your posts.
Lady Muleskinner "Cheryl" and Muleskinner "John"

puros_bran":p65y8gak said:
10-96: Chill Bro its her house let her run it.

JP: Quit sucking up :D

Meer: he went by the handle of WestonDin. I think he lurked more than he posted,but he loved the place. I had a Stokers Bosi he had bought.
I'm glad your step-dad enjoyed Stokers. I joined after the deadline for getting the Bosi pipe. At one point Yarnie decided to move the group from yohoo to a forum style similar to this, but several people had problems with logging on and it was off the beaten path and not as easily publicized as a yahoo group. When he gave me the group, we were in that format and losing more participants. I have re-established the group on yahoo, but as yet we haven't been able to rebuild the group to what it was. To be honest, I've been thinking of pulling the plug on the group, We only have a few active participants, and we enjoy talking with each other, maybe in time others will want to join in - or maybe not.

Thanks for sharing about your step-dad, I really appreciate hearing about him.

Happy puffin'
Meer
:flower:

Muleskinner":l2wvockj said:
I want to welcome you to the board. I too am a lady pipe smoker who enjoys the hobby along with my husband. We are proud to see you join this BB. Will look forward to your posts.
Lady Muleskinner "Cheryl" and Muleskinner "John"
Thanks for the welcome Lady Muleskinner and Muleskinner. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading your posts as well.

Happy puffin'

Meer
:flower:

I normally dont post on threads this old but what the he11....MEER WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN...I miss you and yarnie and the rest of the crew :cry: