So what kind of pipe guy are you?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I smoke a pretty eclectic mix of pipes, several of the "standard" Italians and English brands, and seem to change my preferences (for both pipes and tobacco) every few months. Right now, my favorites are the new Brissett that arrived today, kind of a Lavot/poker I had him make for me (great job, Mike) and a Bosi quarter bent cracked egg. Having met the carvers makes their work kind of special to me.

However, to show my more barbaric side, I smoke Kirstens a lot. I prefer the larger straight body (Lancer, I think?). Mike Brissett has carved me probably two dozen custom bowls over the years, and they make all the difference. I also seem to be becoming more attracted to straighter pipes; Lavots, Liverpools, Canadians, and the such. Wouldn't you know, most of what I own are half or full bents!

Natch

I started out with Kirsten pipes and had Mike make me a few bowls for them. Then I had to own a couple of his pipes. Always very pleased with his work.

Like Jack, most of my pipes are my own rejects. Though I have some that were gifts and some that I bought. Right now, if I buy a pipe, I'll commission it from a pipe maker with a set of basic instructions:

Blasted.
Group 5 or 6 in size.
Bent, but not more than 1/4.
Your take on a dublin.

That's about it.

Even' All, Pre-dominant marq is Castello 9-10, then dunhills, some danish that i prolly will sell, some fine old Webers, my old S.S. Pierce pipes, other Italians , Cavachhi's Ser Jacs,Ardors a grat smoking marq. Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :santa:

I focus more on the shape and feel of a pipe. I like billiards and apples with bamboo shanks.

I mostly gravitate to bent pipes, in fact only two of the approx 60 pipes in my "rotation" are straight. Makers are all over the board; a lot of Savinellis and Stanwells a couple of Dunhills, a couple of Castellos and a few Alpha made in Israel that I got years ago and still enjoy smoking and some of the other Italian makers as well a couple of "no names"

I have been smoking pipes for over thirty years now and have owned a very extensive variety of brands over the years. I have kind of narrowed my collection to Dunhills, Ashtons and my beloved Heeschens. I also have pipes by Joao Reis, S.Bang, Chonowitsch, pre-trans Barlings, family era Sasieni's, Ascorti and a few other odds and ends. Over the years I have kind of settled on straights or 1/4 bents but also own a few 1/2 to full bents. Straights smoke dryer for me. Like TJ I would have to say the Billiard is my top shape. I also like Apples and Bulldogs

Mixed I would say. In my rotation I have Several of the following:

Adam Davidson.... great pipes for sure with super smoking qualities.
John Crosby... excellent as well.
Talbert Pipes... great smokers and I love the blast.
Castello
Dunhill
Sasieni Family era... outstanding smokers
Old Comoy's
Jacono's

Pipes of which I have many:

Old Kaywoodies with push stems and 4 hole stingers... these pipes started my love of this hobby. They are fine smokers and tough as hell.

I have others but these are the ones I can think of now.

Pipes I would like to add...

S. Bang
Matzhold
and others.

For the most part I am a smoker rather than a collector.

I enjoy the estate market and am always looking to add to my rotation from this area. Keep me in mind.

Peace.

Robert

I am going to have to come down there and see some of those beauties one of these days Robert!

When I first started smoking, I smoked the Savenili and Stanwell Churchwardens. The main drawback was that I could not do much while smoking them. I went to the shorter versions and ended up with a number of Ser Jacopos. I like the bent design and the way these pipes look.

Been smokin a pipe for 30yrs now and have nice collection IMHO. I focused on Castellos at the first and am now down to about 30 or so, mostly smooths from their collection series, I do have a few Sea Rocks and O/A's with a few Epochas and of course their Pearl Nera. In the past few years I've turned my attention to many other carvers, Danish, Swedish, NAC, and of course the Italian, always liked them. Since I have enough pipes to choose from I plan on buying just one pipe a year now to add to the fold.

My collection consists of 95 pipes, representing about 70 different carvers/brands. For the last couple of years, my main focus has been on carvers from North America.

Those that I have more than 1 of are:

Rainer Barbi
Cornelius Manz
Kent Rasmussen
Former
Bengt Carlsson
S. Bang
Peter Heeschen
Tom Eltang
Kurt Balleby
Jody Davis
Rad Davis
Trever Talbert
Larry Roush
Rolando Negoita
Jack Howell
J.Alan
H. Tokutomi
Castello
Dunhill

I'm partial to basket pipes personally. They're hacked out thirds and fourths from an assembly line, stuffed with putty, poorly fitted and
finished, but sometimes they shine.

A Blast from the Past and a Half !

Guest 1 was Jimmy the Pirate.

Guest 2 was Ivan.

Guest 3 was probably Cow Pie. (?)

PS : NEW basket pipes are probably fill collections.

But OLD Basket pipes can be clean and nice.

Go by the pipe -- not what's stamped on it.

:face:

Peterson's are my preferred pipes, but their quality has plummeted of late, best to seek out Estate Pete's these days.